Armour

Advanced Fighting Fantasy discussion
SkinnyOrc
Hero

Re: Armour

Post by SkinnyOrc » Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:26 am

shintokamikaze wrote:Very cool, could you make pdf that we could print off for the players 8)
That's a great idea! I like all the test modifiers in AFF as a mechanic but it does mean you keep having to look at the book. A quick reference would be handy, I'll see what I can knock up.
dcpchamber wrote:Are we going to see any more of these armor rules?
I think I'm done :) I've had this and the monster equipment ideas fermenting away for a while now so it's good to have time to write them up.
Ruffnut wrote:I am SO using this, maybe rules for layering armour?
I believe the armour types in the rulebook assume whatever is usually worn underneath already is as part of it. So to do layering you'd need to reduce the protection values of the heavier types. It might get a bit complicated.

shintokamikaze
Hero

Post by shintokamikaze » Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:31 am

SkinnyOrc wrote:
shintokamikaze wrote:Very cool, could you make pdf that we could print off for the players 8)
That's a great idea! I like all the test modifiers in AFF as a mechanic but it does mean you keep having to look at the book. A quick reference would be handy, I'll see what I can knock up.
dcpchamber wrote:Are we going to see any more of these armor rules?
I think I'm done :) I've had this and the monster equipment ideas fermenting away for a while now so it's good to have time to write them up.
Ruffnut wrote:I am SO using this, maybe rules for layering armour?
I believe the armour types in the rulebook assume whatever is usually worn underneath already is as part of it. So to do layering you'd need to reduce the protection values of the heavier types. It might get a bit complicated.
I am starting to put together a wooden DM screen with a built in dice tower, I will laminate all the ref sheets and glue them on both sides so we won't have to look at the book much.

Ruffnut
Hero

Post by Ruffnut » Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:37 am

Cool!
He just sits there tapping away all day on a tiny screen. But he tells everyone that he is slaying Orcs.

shintokamikaze
Hero

Post by shintokamikaze » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:12 pm

I found this online 8)
http://imgur.com/a/9Mokv

Ruffnut
Hero

Post by Ruffnut » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:26 pm

shintokamikaze wrote:I found this online 8)
Epic!
He just sits there tapping away all day on a tiny screen. But he tells everyone that he is slaying Orcs.

Lorian
Knight

Post by Lorian » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:31 pm

shintokamikaze wrote:I found this online 8)
Cool!
Life is merely a speck of dust on the beach of time...

SkinnyOrc
Hero

Post by SkinnyOrc » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:02 pm

Here you go, http://users.tpg.com.au/shargl/aff/down ... ifiers.pdf. Let me know if you spot any mistakes.

shintokamikaze
Hero

Post by shintokamikaze » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:19 pm

SkinnyOrc wrote:
Here you go, http://users.tpg.com.au/shargl/aff/down ... ifiers.pdf. Let me know if you spot any mistakes.
Thanks, Great job

SkinnyOrc
Hero

Post by SkinnyOrc » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:28 pm

I made some small formatting changes so download it again to make sure you have the latest.

shintokamikaze
Hero

Post by shintokamikaze » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:52 pm

SkinnyOrc wrote:I made some small formatting changes so download it again to make sure you have the latest.
OK

Lorian
Knight

Post by Lorian » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:35 am

K
Life is merely a speck of dust on the beach of time...

Ruffnut
Hero

Post by Ruffnut » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:56 am

K

SkinnyOrc
Hero

Post by SkinnyOrc » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:34 pm

I've discovered that the way your web browser caches files means if I update it and someone downloads a second time they just get the first file again! So to work around that here's a new link with the name changed, http://users.tpg.com.au/shargl/aff/down ... rs_1.1.pdf.

Dupont
Knight

Post by Dupont » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:05 pm

Very nice.
"Bright the Hawk's flight on the empty sky"

SkinnyOrc
Hero

Post by SkinnyOrc » Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:11 am

In this discussion about criticals, drbargle and Eddie were talking about the Armour Special Skill and how Stellar Adventures doesn't add it to SKILL deciding what you can use. I clicked that would go nicely with what I did previously in this thread about armour.

The idea had been to make it worthwhile taking the Armour Special Skill all the way to 5 and more include shields. Having it also based on just the Special Skill makes sense, is easier to use, and helped me get the table right.

Because the Leather Hauberk and Chainmail Cuirass have roughly the same benefit they can be in the same category. That gets it down to six categories and avoids the issue people had with my last effort where a starting PC with the Knighted Talent couldn't use all their armour without an advance.

Armour Type. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Armour Special Skill

Leather Cuirass or Shield . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 0
Leather Hauberk or Chainmail Cuirass
or Leather Cuirass & Shield. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1
Breastplate or Leather Hauberk & Shield
or Chainmail Cuirass & Shield . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
Chainmail Hauberk or Breastplate & Shield . . . . . . . . . 3
Plate Armour or Chainmail Hauberk & Shield . . . . . . . . 4
Plate Armour & Shield . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 5

There's no difference between a small and large shield for this Armour Special Skill rule. Also PCs start with the player's choice of armour of those they can use without penalty, up to 30gp worth at city prices. So at most a leather hauberk and small shield unless they have the Knighted Talent.

I'm going to say again how good the AFF2 armour mechanic is. Anyone can wear any armour, you just get penalised on all physical SKILL tests if you're not used to wearing it.