The Riddling Reaver

Absolute Sword

The Riddling Reaver

Postby Absolute Sword » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:43 pm

Is There Any Chance this wickedly humorous adventure will get the Advanced Fighting Fantasy treatment? I hope the answer is in the affirmative! :)
Ruffnut
Knight

Re: The Riddling Reaver

Postby Ruffnut » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:33 am

No, but since it was made for like an AFF2E you can just update the weapon and armour tables :p
He just sits there tapping away all day on a tiny screen. But he tells everyone that he is slaying Orcs.
shintokamikaze
Knight

Postby shintokamikaze » Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:21 pm

Absolute Sword wrote:Is There Any Chance this wickedly humorous adventure will get the Advanced Fighting Fantasy treatment? I hope the answer is in the affirmative! :)

I ran it a few years back, I just converted it on the fly, it's very easy to do with FF or even first edition AFF, but something like D&D would need a bit of work
bottg
Site Admin

Postby bottg » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:02 pm

I have emailed Paul Mason about this, and he is keen. I just need to get around to organising it!
Nuvole!
Hero

Postby Nuvole! » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:29 pm

Here are some past comments that may be of some relevance for resurrecting the Riddling Reaver in 2017: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=573&p=3722
He's a real Nowhere man, sitting in his Nowhere land, making all his Nowhere plans for Nobody.
SkinnyOrc
Knight

Postby SkinnyOrc » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:28 pm

Was The Dreaming Sands prequel by the same author? It'd be great to include it in a republish. Some good ideas for tweaking the adventure on that thread too.
Nuvole!
Hero

Postby Nuvole! » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:23 am

SkinnyOrc wrote:Was The Dreaming Sands prequel by the same author?

It was a kind of introduction / promotion of the Riddling Reaver written by the same author, published in The Warlock Magazine.
SkinnyOrc wrote:It'd be great to include it in a republish. Some good ideas for tweaking the adventure on that thread too.

I think that there are still quite a lot of reasonably priced copies of the Riddling Reaver around and (as mentioned above) it's fairly easy to convert it on the fly, so it would make lots of sense to avoid republishing exactly as it was (with just the minor adaptantions to AFF2), but making a proper review closer to today's tastes and, perhaps, adding The Dreaming Sands as a first act. My humble opinion, of course.
He's a real Nowhere man, sitting in his Nowhere land, making all his Nowhere plans for Nobody.
Ruffnut
Knight

Postby Ruffnut » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:34 am

After reading it I was inspired to get AFF2E
He just sits there tapping away all day on a tiny screen. But he tells everyone that he is slaying Orcs.
SkinnyOrc
Knight

Postby SkinnyOrc » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:37 pm

With them being by the same guy hopefully it wouldn't be too much harder to include The Dreaming Sands as well.

Hullalla wrote:it would make lots of sense to avoid republishing exactly as it was (with just the minor adaptantions to AFF2), but making a proper review closer to today's tastes and, perhaps, adding The Dreaming Sands as a first act.
Well at the least you'd have to update the stats to AFF2, but agree you'd want to look at the whole thing. I haven't played it but all the talk of linear and railroading makes it sound like it could just do with a bit of work. The audience has changed since it was written. Probably best not to move the location though unless it works better for the plot, NW Allansia is going to be the most common place for people's campaigns.

Absolute Sword wrote:Is There Any Chance this wickedly humorous adventure will get the Advanced Fighting Fantasy treatment? I hope the answer is in the affirmative! :)
By the way, welcome!
shintokamikaze
Knight

Postby shintokamikaze » Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:53 pm

I would love to read The Dreaming Sands, any idea how can I get a copy :?:
Lorian
Knight

Postby Lorian » Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:06 pm

Think it's in a fighting fantazine?
Life is merely a speck of dust on the beach of time...
shintokamikaze
Knight

Postby shintokamikaze » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:50 pm

Lorian wrote:Think it's in a fighting fantazine?

I don't think so, Titannica says it was never published again after the warlock mag, I was hoping someone on here had some scans :?: I can't believe I never heard of it before as I'm a huge fan of the reaver book :oops:
SkinnyOrc
Knight

Postby SkinnyOrc » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:08 pm

Yeah I don't think Fighting Fantazine ever had any reprints from Warlock did it? They wouldn't have the rights to the work. There's a copy on eBay. The international postage on that one is ridiculous but if you're in the UK it might be worth picking up.
SkinnyOrc
Knight

Postby SkinnyOrc » Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:22 pm

I've read The Riddling Reaver properly for the first time and have some opinions (as usual). If you might play in it take this as a spoiler alert.

It's pretty clear that because it was written for FF: The Introductory RPG (so before AFF1) it assumes the GM will probably be leading the players through the adventure. I'd say that's to make it easier for the GM at least as much as the players, an experienced GM can handle a group of beginner players without that.

It wouldn't take a lot to open up more choices for the players.The first thing I'd do is cut the "Player's Tales" at the start of each act down to a description of where the characters are. At the moment the tales make choices for the players saying they do this or that, which is guaranteed to make them feel railroaded. So at the start of Act 1 if they want to try to release the guy at the gatehouse then fine. And if they don't want to see what all the fuss is about at the tower or they do but stand by and watch then no problem. There should be results detailed for the more likely player actions so the GM doesn't have so much to make up. So for example if they don't try to intervene in the Baron's death, Lady Carolina can still offer the characters the job of investigating the chest for a suitable fee.

The other thing is to expand some of the acts to allow more freedom. The adventure can be broken into five sections; a city based investigation, exploring a ship, a short jungle wilderness, a temple and the Reaver's hideout. The ship, temple and hideout are effectively small room/corridor "dungeons" so there's not much scope there. Dungeons have a "where to go next" sort of freedom but you tend do most of the rooms in some order. My opinion is they're okay as long as there are open sections around them.

The city has plenty of potential, especially with it being an investigation section. In a way it's the same as a dungeon in that you only have so many places detailed and they'll probably go to most of them. But a GM can make it seem like there was an entire city to explore and they could have gone anywhere. A few more red herring locations and places of general interest would flesh it out (including a place to stay). For example there could be a couple more schools to try, maybe one next to the ocean with ships nearby.

I wouldn't have Dappa teasing them about the riddles unless they get really stuck. Most of the groups I know would just beat the c%#p out of him until he got better at volunteering info. Better he struggles with the riddles too but if they're really stuck on one he cracks it and starts giving hints (briefly) before telling them.

The book has a curious gap with the investigation where they can solve the riddles but they still make no sense without local info to interpret them to places. All it says is Dappa suggests they go to the market because it's "the best place to begin investigating". So nothing to do with the riddles at all! There's also no info on how they find the other locations and I'd guess a lot of GMs have just had Dappa give them each one in turn.

I'd suggest Dappa keeps his head stuck in books and they need to ask around the city to make sense of the answers. You'd go to the market because you were asking about Minotaurs and someone says Ignatius Galapagos imports that sort of thing and someone else says he can be found there. But maybe before that someone suggests he goes to the baths so they could try there...

The other section that can be expanded is the jungle wilderness. This could easily be an area the characters can wander about in and explore rather than a series of encounters they do in order. By giving that period of freedom it feels less linear when they get to the dungeon sections with their limited choices. To expand the wilderness you don't want to start with the catapulted adventurers and Waxley. Some of the encounters like 6 and 7 could be part of the open bit, along with some new ones and maybe even some side plots. At some point they find encounter 1 and Waxley offers to guide them through the mountains to the temple. He probably needs a better story about the treasure because some parties might not want to mess with something called the Pendulum of Fate (sensibly).

One thing I'm not sure about. It's odd the Reaver's hideout is so close to the temple but I guess he could have built it there because it's been a long term goal to get the pendulum. I can't think of a good way to have the party find the hideout otherwise so it may be best to leave that as it is.
shintokamikaze
Knight

Postby shintokamikaze » Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:39 pm

That makes a lot of sense, an updated map of Kallamehr with a lot of extra locations would be great.

Return to “Advanced Fighting Fantasy 2”