The Riddling Reaver

Nuvole!
Hero

Re: The Riddling Reaver

Postby Nuvole! » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:49 pm

I agree with all your observations (actually, the idea of turning Kallamehr part of the adventure into a sort of Kallamehr Gazzetteer makes my mouth water) and that's fundamentally what I have done not only for the Riddling Reaver, but also with the Dreaming Sands (where the "guest" NPC is Angelica instead of Dappa).

If you think about the other FF RPG and AFF RPG adventures, you will see that almost all of them have the same issues (trying to turn the sandox bits of the adventure into linear adventures -> railroading and having a NPC stuck with the group, telling them too much what the should do -> railroading again), so this was a kind of "fashion" of the time, that now is rather "out of fashion", so I don't think it will take a huge effort to fix the issues, but it will anyway have to be accepted by the original author.
Last edited by Nuvole! on Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
He's a real Nowhere man, sitting in his Nowhere land, making all his Nowhere plans for Nobody.
Nuvole!
Hero

Postby Nuvole! » Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:01 pm

SkinnyOrc wrote: Probably best not to move the location though unless it works better for the plot, NW Allansia is going to be the most common place for people's campaigns.

Well... The Dreaming Sands is an introductory adventure to the character of the Riddling Reaver and is set in the countriside around Port Blacksand (with nothing particularly characteristic of Port Blacksand, so moving it to the countryside of Kallamehr doesn't specifically clash with anything, as long as you are contacted to clean the mess by somebody working for Baron or Baroness Bluestone instead of Lord Azzur), while the adventure The Riddling Reaver starts in Kallamehr and its initial Acts are set within the walls of Kallamehr (it would be madness moving it smewhere else as it's very peculiar of that city).
Of course you can play The Riddling Reaver without having played The Dreaming Sands but I playtested a bit all combinations of sequences and locations and, personally, I found that the most satisfactory is moving The Dreaming Sands to Kallamehr and make it the new First Act of The Riddling Reaver.
Leaving The Dreaming Sands at Port Blacksand would have the only advantage of being potentially the reason why the characters are invited to Kallamehr (but something will have to be suitably modified to introduce this, for example some agent from Kallamehr noticing the characters in their struggle against the Riddling Reaver and, knowing that Kallamehr often had issues with him, inviting them to Kallamehr (perhaps paying for their trip or similar), but it would be anyway a bit convoluted, as there is no hard and fast reason why the characters should leave Port Blacksand after the action of The Dreaming Sands and go straight away to Kallamehr.
He's a real Nowhere man, sitting in his Nowhere land, making all his Nowhere plans for Nobody.
shintokamikaze
Knight

Postby shintokamikaze » Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:44 pm

Hullalla wrote:
SkinnyOrc wrote: Probably best not to move the location though unless it works better for the plot, NW Allansia is going to be the most common place for people's campaigns.

Well... The Dreaming Sands is an introductory adventure to the character of the Riddling Reaver and is set in the countriside around Port Blacksand (with nothing particularly characteristic of Port Blacksand, so moving it to the countryside of Kallamehr doesn't specifically clash with anything, as long as you are contacted to clean the mess by somebody working for Baron or Baroness Bluestone instead of Lord Azzur), while the adventure The Riddling Reaver starts in Kallamehr and its initial Acts are set within the walls of Kallamehr (it would be madness moving it smewhere else as it's very peculiar of that city).
Of course you can play The Riddling Reaver without having played The Dreaming Sands but I playtested a bit all combinations of sequences and locations and, personally, I found that the most satisfactory is moving The Dreaming Sands to Kallamehr and make it the new First Act of The Riddling Reaver.
Leaving The Dreaming Sands at Port Blacksand would have the only advantage of being potentially the reason why the characters are invited to Kallamehr (but something will have to be suitably modified to introduce this, for example some agent from Kallamehr noticing the characters in their struggle against the Riddling Reaver and, knowing that Kallamehr often had issues with him, inviting them to Kallamehr (perhaps paying for their trip or similar), but it would be anyway a bit convoluted, as there is no hard and fast reason why the characters should leave Port Blacksand after the action of The Dreaming Sands and go straight away to Kallamehr.

Wow amazing, can't wait
Lorian
Knight

Postby Lorian » Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:09 pm

Can't wait! Going to be the best adventure ever!
Life is merely a speck of dust on the beach of time...
shintokamikaze
Knight

Postby shintokamikaze » Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:25 pm

Lorian wrote:Can't wait! Going to be the best adventure ever!

It will be Epic!
SkinnyOrc
Knight

Postby SkinnyOrc » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:28 pm

Okay I've read The Dreaming Sands too and it's true it could go in pretty much any city with a plain near it. The only other thing is the city's ruler needs to be evil for the twist at the end to work. I was assuming that as a prequel to TRR it would lead into it but there's nothing to get the PCs to Kallamehr. So wherever TDS is you have the problem of getting them there, which being the opposite side of the continent from NW Allansia is a really long way away. With TDS in Kallamehr you just have that problem before it instead of before TRR. But sure if you start your campaign in Kallamehr both could be there, you just need to make the Baron a bad man.

The only connection between the two adventures is in TDS the PCs come to the attention of the Reaver which gives a reason for him to draw them into his plans. But there could be months or even years between TDS and TRR without any problem, other adventures could even happen in the meantime. So what I would want to see in a new adventure are some ideas on how the Reaver can get them to Kallamehr after TDS. Then the GM can pick any city that works for their campaign and run TDS there. The TDS map could easily be made more generic so it doesn't matter what city is used.

The Angelica character seems a bit confused. I agree she's another GM device to help the players if they get stuck. But even if you want that she doesn't work very well for it. Her goal is to stop the characters getting to the castle so why would she help them? For example against the Lord of Gond why would she suggest using the pipes when she wants them to get eaten? It seems she wants to keep them alive but wandering around the plain without finding all the encounters so they never get to the castle. The Reaver's contrary nature maybe? I also don't see why she'd later fight to the death, this first scheme of the Reaver's doesn't seem important enough to die for. A waking dream might be worked into that fight to make it more interesting and also provide a way for her to escape.

TDS has some hilarious typos, I guess magazine articles didn't get as much checking as the books. The Lord of Gond gets called the Lord of Good a few times (ironic for a slavering creature from another dimension), the party gets called the patty and the Reaver is the Beaver :D
SkinnyOrc
Knight

Postby SkinnyOrc » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:42 pm

Hullalla wrote:the idea of turning Kallamehr part of the adventure into a sort of Kallamehr Gazzetteer makes my mouth water
If all the creative people on here have a go I reckon we could come up with some great new locations and encounters for the city and jungle bits of The Riddling Reaver. It sounds like Hullalla already has some material he could polish up for Kallamehr and based on his Rimon Gazetteer it'll be good stuff. So I'm happy to concentrate on the jungle.

Here's some ideas for the jungle to get things started. It seems like there's three main races inhabiting the area; the lizardmen, the head-hunters and the pygmies. The lizardmen live in swampy jungle downstream of a waterfall coming from the Shrine of Destiny. This causes mutations to be common among them (TRR has a great table for this) and unusually for their kind this is seen as a blessing from their gods. They have a loose alliance with the Reaver who built a stronghold nearby some years ago with its army of replicanths. The head-hunters live in an uneasy balance with the lizardmen with no love lost between them but both too strong to be crushed by the other. Either will attempt to capture and eat the party on sight. As the weakest group the pygmies just try to keep out of everyone else's way. While normally wary or even hostile, the pygmies need for allies means that if won over they will be very friendly. Their village in the densest part of the jungle could be a rare safe haven for the party if allowed there.
Lorian
Knight

Postby Lorian » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:13 pm

I might have a "few" ideas for the sea based part, and ruffnut will help me.
Ruffnut
Knight

Postby Ruffnut » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:34 pm

SkinnyOrc wrote:
Hullalla wrote:the idea of turning Kallamehr part of the adventure into a sort of Kallamehr Gazzetteer makes my mouth water
If all the creative people on here have a go I reckon we could come up with some great new locations and encounters for the city and jungle bits of The Riddling Reaver. It sounds like Hullalla already has some material he could polish up for Kallamehr and based on his Rimon Gazetteer it'll be good stuff. So I'm happy to concentrate on the jungle.

Here's some ideas for the jungle to get things started. It seems like there's three main races inhabiting the area; the lizardmen, the head-hunters and the pygmies. The lizardmen live in swampy jungle downstream of a waterfall coming from the Shrine of Destiny. This causes mutations to be common among them (TRR has a great table for this) and unusually for their kind this is seen as a blessing from their gods. They have a loose alliance with the Reaver who built a stronghold nearby some years ago with its army of replicanths. The head-hunters live in an uneasy balance with the lizardmen with no love lost between them but both too strong to be crushed by the other. Either will attempt to capture and eat the party on sight. As the weakest group the pygmies just try to keep out of everyone else's way. While normally wary or even hostile, the pygmies need for allies means that if won over they will be very friendly. Their village in the densest part of the jungle could be a rare safe haven for the party if allowed there.

mutation tables also exist in beyond the pit and heroes companion. maybe you could pick the best parts from all 3
He just sits there tapping away all day on a tiny screen. But he tells everyone that he is slaying Orcs.
SkinnyOrc
Knight

Postby SkinnyOrc » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:49 am

Yep could take some mutations for the lizardmen from the AFF2 books too.

The entrance to the tunnel leading to the Shrine is sacred to the head-hunters and deep within their territory. It would be very unlikely intruders would stumble upon it by chance, even if they survived the inevitable encounters with the tribes warriors.
Ruffnut
Knight

Postby Ruffnut » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:04 am

Me and lorian are going to make a version of the twice shy that REALLY as insane as the Reader himself...
He just sits there tapping away all day on a tiny screen. But he tells everyone that he is slaying Orcs.
Dupont
Knight

Postby Dupont » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:19 pm

I never knew Riddling Reaver was more than a normal gamebook... So I started looking around for it, I found Warlock 13 with a bit of rummaging across the internet, then I thought that I actually had RR in hard copy. I do, and its signed by Steve Jackson, March 1990! God knows where I got that!
"Bright the Hawk's flight on the empty sky"
Baldrick

Postby Baldrick » Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:38 pm

Dupont wrote:I never knew Riddling Reaver was more than a normal gamebook... So I started looking around for it, I found Warlock 13 with a bit of rummaging across the internet, then I thought that I actually had RR in hard copy. I do, and its signed by Steve Jackson, March 1990! God knows where I got that!

From me, give it back!!! :x
Lorian
Knight

Postby Lorian » Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:42 pm

What is going on here?!?
Ruffnut
Knight

Postby Ruffnut » Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:44 pm

Lorian wrote:What is going on here?!?

I want to know too!!?!?!?!?!

Return to “Advanced Fighting Fantasy 2”