Mauristatian Regional Sorcery

Lorian
Knight

Mauristatian Regional Sorcery

Postby Lorian » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:57 am

I think I made a post about this a while ago, but many new people have joined since then and for their convenience I will publish it here again. Please comment on any additions or alterations you think are needed.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1dqI ... p=drivesdk
Life is merely a speck of dust on the beach of time...
Lorian
Knight

Re: Mauristatian Regional Sorcery

Postby Lorian » Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:50 pm

Any thoughts on this? :shock:
Dupont
Adventurer

Postby Dupont » Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:53 pm

I haven't had a chance to look yet, I will do but I am running visiting family round like I'm a taxi firm at the moment...
"Bright the Hawk's flight on the empty sky"
Dupont
Adventurer

Postby Dupont » Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:20 pm

I've had a quick look, its great so far! Pretty much describes a dungeon so far and explains why and how such creatures are in it...
Lorian
Knight

Postby Lorian » Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:45 pm

thanks!
Ruffnut
Knight

Postby Ruffnut » Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:46 pm

Does this mean that dungeons we're created to keep treasure safe or to keep monsters out :p
He just sits there tapping away all day on a tiny screen. But he tells everyone that he is slaying Orcs.
Lorian
Knight

Postby Lorian » Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:02 pm

Maybe the monsters were made as collateral damage from oopses and Oak spells...
Dupont
Adventurer

Postby Dupont » Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:21 pm

Maybe the dungeons were made to house some mad vampire's creations and experiments...
SkinnyOrc
Knight

Postby SkinnyOrc » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:39 pm

A few questions and suggestions:

GOL - At the end of the duration you lose control of the undead again or you just can't take control of more?
MOK - The flesh golem is permanent? If so it's quite cheap and you should probably only be able to do that with a ritual like in Heroes Companion. Maybe there's a duration and at the end it goes to sleep so you have to recast each time you want to control it?
EAT - Maybe simplify to 1 standard meal per 2 SKILL drained or something like that.
ASP - If put on a blade wears off after the first successful attack rather than after one round.
TWO - Is there a defensive benefit? Assume attacks against the double would do no damage to the real you.
OLD - Going to be hard to get the wig on anyone's head for 3 minutes and if you do a permanent effect is powerful for a 1 point spell. Maybe they don't need to wear the wig but the effects wear off? If so the ageing could be stronger and affects abilities. Maybe costs more.
HEX - The effect is permanent and the victim gets no chance to avoid?
Lorian
Knight

Postby Lorian » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:32 pm

GOL - You lose control of the undead again.
MOK - Good idea, it now falls asleep after rounds equal to your inner strength.
EAT - Good idea, now being used.
ASP - It was meant to simulate the poison having dripped off.
TWO - As this is evil sorcery any wounds inflicted on your double hurt you as well.
OLD - I believe that the difficulty of getting the wig on the head makes it's effects just, also there are potions that make you more youthful.
HEX - The effect wears off after a week of rest like it says in the corebook.
SkinnyOrc
Knight

Postby SkinnyOrc » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:15 pm

GOL - The spell is cheap but the component sounds expensive. To use this offensively you'd need to have some undead nearby when you wanted to fight someone which were powerful enough for the expense of the component (so not just skeletons and zombies which you can create anyway), and you'd be in danger of them attacking you before the spell was cast. I guess it would be more use defensively to pass by some undead unharmed.
MOK - I'm not clear on the first creature it's like, second creature it's like bit. Do you mean they could put the flesh together in the shape of say a bull and it would have the stats of a bull? The simplest thing would just be to say it has the stats of a flesh golem but I guess you're trying to make it more flexible.
ASP - Agree you need a time after which the poison drips off but 1 round means you have to poison the blade during combat and you miss once and it's wasted. You could have it dripping off after 6 rounds (or whatever number) and in that time being good for one hit. Otherwise I can really only see the touch use of this spell being much good.
TWO - Fair enough, it'd be good to state any damage to the double is to the caster so its clear.
OLD - The only situation I can see it being useful is torture where the victim can't move or I guess you could trick someone into wearing the wig. But I like the ageing concept and would like to see it in a form that could be used as a combat spell. So maybe you just touch them with the hag hair and they age 30 years causing -2 to SKILL and a -4 to STAMINA, but the effects wear off in a number of turns equal to your inner strength. It would need to cost more then though.
shintokamikaze
Knight

Postby shintokamikaze » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:12 pm

I don't use Sorcery in my games much, but this sounds very good
Lorian
Knight

Postby Lorian » Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:50 pm

GOL - What if any powerful undead... E. G liches, skull beasts and skeleton kings where nearby.
MOK - You could make a flesh golem horse to rapidly transport you.
ASP - Now it lasts for a number of rounds equal to your magic sorcery.
OLD - Good idea, but to use it you must wear the wig.... Dangerous to use near spellcasters.....
SkinnyOrc
Knight

Postby SkinnyOrc » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:02 am

GOL - Sure if powerful undead were present it'd make the spell worth casting. What I meant was it's tricky for a bad guy to use it to get undead to attack the party. They don't control them long and the undead are likely to kill them while they wait for the party to show! But there's other ways to use the spell so it's not necessarily a prob.
MOK - A flesh golem horse could be fun. Maybe just get rid of step 2, IMO it confuses things.
SkinnyOrc
Knight

Postby SkinnyOrc » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:33 am

shintokamikaze wrote:I don't use Sorcery in my games much, but this sounds very good
Yeah I loved the way it worked in the Sorcery gamebooks but I'm not convinced it translates so well to AFF2. The three letter names were great in the gamebooks with having to remember which was for which spell, but they're kind of clumsy for a full RPG. Same with the "you learn all the spells in one go" thing. It means the player with a sorcerer doesn't have a lot of choices to make developing their characters. It also might seem a bit weird once an Old World Gazetteer comes out and there's more sorcery spells. I'm not even sure it was clear in Sorcery you had learnt all the spells in one go, maybe that's just what you knew when you started the mission.

Return to “Advanced Fighting Fantasy 2”