Mauristatian Regional Sorcery

Dupont
Knight

Re: Mauristatian Regional Sorcery

Postby Dupont » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:53 am

SkinnyOrc wrote:
shintokamikaze wrote:I don't use Sorcery in my games much, but this sounds very good
Yeah I loved the way it worked in the Sorcery gamebooks but I'm not convinced it translates so well to AFF2. The three letter names were great in the gamebooks with having to remember which was for which spell, but they're kind of clumsy for a full RPG. Same with the "you learn all the spells in one go" thing. It means the player with a sorcerer doesn't have a lot of choices to make developing their characters. It also might seem a bit weird once an Old World Gazetteer comes out and there's more sorcery spells. I'm not even sure it was clear in Sorcery you had learnt all the spells in one go, maybe that's just what you knew when you started the mission.

We haven't used Sorcery yet, we have a Wizard and a Priest currently although the Wizard player considered a Sorcerer in character gen. I'm not sure how they play but they look interesting but limited. Perhaps having schools of Sorcery would help, then a Director and player can decide on spell groupings that that school teaches. It may also give incentive to the player to seek out other tuition.
"Bright the Hawk's flight on the empty sky"
Dupont
Knight

Postby Dupont » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:07 am

That incentive leads to nice adventure possibilities for the GM to write ( Or the players depending on how you see it )

The Spells themselves can be easy to learn to mirror the rules as written, its just a case of seeing them or having them explained to you to actually have them. Much like a eureka moment rather than weeks of study. You just have to be made aware of their existence. I can see Sorcerers this way being rather prone to travel and pilgrimages to seek out sources of learning - whether thats a teacher in a cave, a book in a lost library or a singing statue overlooking some uncharted coastline.
shintokamikaze
Knight

Postby shintokamikaze » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:20 pm

SkinnyOrc wrote:
shintokamikaze wrote:I don't use Sorcery in my games much, but this sounds very good
Yeah I loved the way it worked in the Sorcery gamebooks but I'm not convinced it translates so well to AFF2. The three letter names were great in the gamebooks with having to remember which was for which spell, but they're kind of clumsy for a full RPG. Same with the "you learn all the spells in one go" thing. It means the player with a sorcerer doesn't have a lot of choices to make developing their characters. It also might seem a bit weird once an Old World Gazetteer comes out and there's more sorcery spells. I'm not even sure it was clear in Sorcery you had learnt all the spells in one go, maybe that's just what you knew when you started the mission.

I think most spells are over powered and very clunkey, my players don't use them at all, only bad guys or the players might get a use once scroll
Lorian
Knight

Postby Lorian » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:14 pm

In the sorcery spell book it gives rules to make sorcery more realistic, I would recommend buying it!
Life is merely a speck of dust on the beach of time...
Gareus

Postby Gareus » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:25 pm

This looks great.
I cant really offer any feedback beyond its great.

Im planning on using the spellbook a bit myself. I have the printed book but am in the middle of scanning the pages in, removing the page numbers and stamina cost (I want to leave that for a DM to decide) and am tying the pages inside a leather cover, it looks great. It will be the wizards (our group has a wizard) spellbook so he can flick through when we are in a tight spot to make it feel more immersive. As SkinnyOrc said too its hard to build a character when they have all the spells at once so I am thinking of maybe having a page or so as loot after major battles, and some of the spells still require a hat or a ring etc to be used too so I can try to make that work inside a game building it a bit at a time.

But this document is great, Ive been trying to do one with the sorcery spell book entries adding some situations where a particular spell choice would backfire or offer unforeseen events, but theres always twenty other things to do so I still havent done it yet. Kudos for getting there!!

Anyway, love it!
For Adventures Visit http://www.TheLegendofGareus.com or http://www.facebook.com/thelegendofgareus and give us a like......
shintokamikaze
Knight

Postby shintokamikaze » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:31 pm

Lorian wrote:In the sorcery spell book it gives rules to make sorcery more realistic, I would recommend buying it!

I have it, but I have not read it yet, I must have a look :shock:
shintokamikaze
Knight

Postby shintokamikaze » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:33 pm

Gareus wrote:This looks great.
I cant really offer any feedback beyond its great.

Im planning on using the spellbook a bit myself. I have the printed book but am in the middle of scanning the pages in, removing the page numbers and stamina cost (I want to leave that for a DM to decide) and am tying the pages inside a leather cover, it looks great. It will be the wizards (our group has a wizard) spellbook so he can flick through when we are in a tight spot to make it feel more immersive. As SkinnyOrc said too its hard to build a character when they have all the spells at once so I am thinking of maybe having a page or so as loot after major battles, and some of the spells still require a hat or a ring etc to be used too so I can try to make that work inside a game building it a bit at a time.

But this document is great, Ive been trying to do one with the sorcery spell book entries adding some situations where a particular spell choice would backfire or offer unforeseen events, but theres always twenty other things to do so I still havent done it yet. Kudos for getting there!!

Anyway, love it!

Epic idea making a spell book :lol: I use props a lot in my games, I will steal your idea 8)
SkinnyOrc
Knight

Postby SkinnyOrc » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:42 am

Dupont wrote:I'm not sure how they play but they look interesting but limited.
Maybe it's not so bad sorcerers have a fixed spell list, many characters have no magic at all and there's plenty of interesting ways to develop them through Special Skills and Talents.

I've noticed you can't generate a new character equivalent to the sorcerer in Sorcery, you'd need decent SKILL, STAMINA and MAGIC. In Sorcery you didn't have a casting test but that they could cast everything reliably means their MAGIC was high in AFF2 terms. Starting out as an AFF sorcerer you have to choose to either be good in combat or good at spell casting, but you can't be both. Either way you need a decent STAMINA score so the trade off is between SKILL and MAGIC. Developing both takes a while (primary stats costing the most XP) but once you've done it you have a true warrior-mage like the one in Sorcery.

Dupont wrote:Perhaps having schools of Sorcery would help, then a Director and player can decide on spell groupings that that school teaches. It may also give incentive to the player to seek out other tuition.
Yeah the regional sorcery thing would offer players a choice, even if it was a one off choice.

shintokamikaze wrote:I think most spells are over powered and very clunkey, my players don't use them at all
There's some truth to that and it didn't matter in the Sorcery gamebooks because they limited where you could use each spell. The spells maybe needed a bit of tweaking for AFF2, but at the same time I can see people expected sorcery to stay true to the gamebooks.
Last edited by SkinnyOrc on Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:07 am, edited 5 times in total.
Lorian
Knight

Postby Lorian » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:45 am

When making maustralian regional sorcery I tried to make it as balanced as possible.
Life is merely a speck of dust on the beach of time...
Ruffnut
Hero

Postby Ruffnut » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:46 am

I gave my sorcerer the basic ones and he can then learn the odd one from different regions before choosing which one to MAINLY focus on
He just sits there tapping away all day on a tiny screen. But he tells everyone that he is slaying Orcs.
SkinnyOrc
Knight

Postby SkinnyOrc » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:57 am

I discovered where I'd left my copy of the AFF Sorcery Spellbook this morning. With me seeing sorcery as mainly something that happens on that other continent it hasn't had a lot of attention!

The book's a bit thin on new material if you already have an old copy of the gamebook version of it, but what's there is important even if it maybe needs to be expanded.

There's the Sorcerer's Apprentice optional rule for not knowing all the spells straight away. It looks good but there's a bit of a gap about how the rest of the spells are learnt, have to think about that.

Then there's the Arch-Sorcerer optional rule. That also looks the business but it doesn't fully answer how new sorcery styles start. They invent one new spell as part of becoming an Arch-Sorcerer but at that rate it'd take a lot of people doing it for a new style!

I'm thinking Arch-Sorcerers could be able to invent more new spells but at a really steep cost in time. That way a single Arch-Sorcerer could establish a new style if they were dedicated enough but it's not something a PC can do unless the player wants to retire them from active play.
Dupont
Knight

Postby Dupont » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:44 am

SkinnyOrc wrote:I've noticed you can't generate a new character equivalent to the sorcerer in Sorcery, you'd need decent SKILL, STAMINA and MAGIC. In Sorcery you didn't have a casting test but that they could cast everything reliably means their MAGIC was high in AFF2 terms. Starting out as an AFF sorcerer you have to choose to either be good in combat or good at spell casting, but you can't be both. Either way you need a decent STAMINA score so the trade off is between SKILL and MAGIC. Developing both takes a while (primary stats costing the most XP) but once you've done it you have a true warrior-mage like the one in Sorcery.

This is quite a telling discovery I think, if I was making up a sorcerer to play, I think in my head I would be assuming it WOULD be as strong as the one we all played in SORCERY. Why wouldn't you? That guy was according to this though, top of his game. ( And deserving of being chosen for the quest too as far as storyline goes) Thats important to a new character to have context of ability but its also quite cool to be able to look back and 'understand' why a solo Sorcerer could do something an entire party now needs to work together to achieve. (Even if its partly due to changes in rules, it still now has some context)

The Sorcerers Apprentice and Arch-Sorcerer rulings look strong. All this has at least allowed me to cement the fact Sorcery is very much and Oldworld thing in my mind. I might have to buy the spellbook now...
SkinnyOrc
Knight

Postby SkinnyOrc » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:25 am

Dupont wrote:That guy was according to this though, top of his game. ( And deserving of being chosen for the quest too as far as storyline goes).
He was. If you rolled high SKILL and STAMINA (mysteriously mine were always pretty good) the guy was a deadly warrior and practically an Arch-Sorcerer!

Looking at Sorcerer's Apprentice, your number of starting spells is decided by your Inner Strength and the rest cost no XP but you have to find a teacher or book to study for each one. There's a few reasons I'm not keen on that:

1. It's kind of vague. How fast can they learn them? How many do they get from each teacher/book? How much time is needed between learning each spell?

2. IMO wizards also need a teacher or book for new spells, they don't just pop into their heads when they spend the XP. So it doesn't count as something sorcerers do instead of spending the XP.

3. If your campaign is in Allansia or Khul are there even sorcery teachers and books to be found?

So what I reckon is each sorcerer studies all the spells in their list from the start because it's taught as a unified system. By the time they are starting adventurers they have mastered enough spells to be considered competent to venture out into the world. Each is given their own spell book and they continue to study it daily, over time mastering each of the remaining spells until they can cast them all.

In game terms a sorcerer starting character knows three spells for each point of Inner Strength. They then gain a further three spells each time their Inner Strength limit increases. There are 48 spells in the standard list so with a Magic - Sorcery special skill of 5 they need a MAGIC of 11 to learn them all.

The order they learn the spells in varies with where they received their initial training (is determined by the Director). This might be the order they are in the rulebook (as suggested in the Sorcery Spellbook) or it might be all the 1 point spells first, in the order they're in the rulebook, followed by all the 2 point spells, and so on.
Dupont
Knight

Postby Dupont » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:41 am

SkinnyOrc wrote: If you rolled high SKILL and STAMINA (mysteriously mine were always pretty good) the guy was practically an Arch-Sorcerer!

Yeah I suffered with that problem too. :lol:

SkinnyOrc wrote:Looking at Sorcerer's Apprentice, your number of starting spells is decided by your Inner Strength and the rest cost no XP but you have to find a teacher or book to study for each one. I've got a few probs with that:

1. It's kind of vague. How fast can they learn them? How many do they get from each teacher/book? How much time is needed between learning each spell?

2. IMO wizards also need a teacher or book for new spells, they don't just pop into their heads when they spend the XP. So it doesn't count as something sorcerers do instead of the XP.

3. If your campaign is in Allansia or Khul are there even sorcery teachers and books to be found?

1. I think Sorcery in itself is always going to be the oddball. I envision it as something weird happening when you are shown the spell(s) rather than pouring over spellbooks for days or weeks and trying to learn a technique etc , it 'enlightens' you, pops into your head. The quest to find that teacher/book of mirrors or other slightly trippy landmark is down to the GM to concoct then and fuels adventure seeds. The same counts for the number learned from a single source, it suggests artistic licence to me. I would opt for the fewer the better spells available from one source under the premise most people have the same standard ones and then the odd Master has a few tricks up his sleeve others don't. Plus it encourages further quests to find more. Sorcery if nothing else definitely has that potential to be a drive for a group to travel around and be in the way of trouble, while their main motive might be powering up their Sorcerer. Thats a handy thing for a GM to have.

2. You could have a skill check if you wanted and if failed, that spell couldn't then be learned from that teacher. Time to move on and find another source for that elusive spell.

3. I Think the sources in Allansia at least should be in the form of things lost. The feel should be all about ruins, long forgotten books etc, and very few living teachers except perhaps the odd hermit or another party based around a travelling Oldworld sorcerer trying to dig up sorcery knowledge from the past. I wonder if most people even know Sorcery exists outside the Oldworld.
SkinnyOrc
Knight

Postby SkinnyOrc » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:34 pm

Dupont wrote:The quest to find that teacher/book of mirrors or other slightly trippy landmark is down to the GM to concoct then and fuels adventure seeds.
I enjoy that stuff too but I think it suits wizardry better than sorcery. With the sorcerers having a set spell list the guys doing their initial training know all the spells the pupil will learn. So it doesn't really make sense they'd not give each student all the material they need to learn them or that there'd be a need to look elsewhere.

It sounds like you'd like the sorcerer spells to not be a fixed list. The Sorcerer's Apprentice option means they don't get all their spells at once but it doesn't change that. The whole regional sorcery thing doesn't really work either if the spell lists aren't set. But of course you could ditch the fixed lists too if you wanted. I do agree with everything you said about character advancement motivating travels and adventures, it makes what happens more personal to the PCs.

Dupont wrote:I wonder if most people even know Sorcery exists outside the Oldworld.
I like the idea sorcerers in Allansia and Khul are mostly travellers from the Old World, but I guess it's one of those things that will be different for each Director's campaign.

Return to “Advanced Fighting Fantasy 2”