Do any of you still play AFF 1E (Dungeoneer) ?

Lorian
Knight

Re: Do any of you still play AFF 1E (Dungeoneer) ?

Postby Lorian » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:08 am

Baldrick wrote:Talents play an important part in my view... they allow you to differentiate between heroes (representing something unique that another player could never have) and allow you to create cool background stories for each character. My favourite talents are exactly those that seem to imply a certain past, like Knighted, Learned or Dark Veil. I would love to see the Talents list greatly expanded to cover different regional flavours. For example, I am thinking of sticking a Conan-esque city in the Desert of Skulls, and some Talents might be:

Pit Slave: This hero was once enslaved in the infamous Pits and still bears the marks of that experience. (S)he automatically gains the trust of other slaves, as long as (s)he does not act haughtily towards them, and can rely on their help. Reduce the hero's status by 1 to a minimum of zero.

Acolyte of Set: This hero willingly or unwillingly served in the underground temples of Set, the Snake God. (S)he can identify any poison ir even the presence of poison with a successful skill test (a failure means the hero must take a Luck test or become poisoned in the attempt).

Thieves Guild: This hero was trained in the infamous thieves guilds. In addition to knowing the secret signs of the thieves, this hero knows the hiding place of a well-guarded treasure lode somewhere in the city. However, due to a falling out with the guild masters, the hero now has a mark on his/her head!

I personally prefer to show this with the heroes special skills, and a bit of input from the DM.
Life is merely a speck of dust on the beach of time...
Dupont
Adventurer

Postby Dupont » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:50 am

Baldrick wrote:Talents play an important part in my view... they allow you to differentiate between heroes (representing something unique that another player could never have) and allow you to create cool background stories for each character. My favourite talents are exactly those that seem to imply a certain past, like Knighted, Learned or Dark Veil. I would love to see the Talents list greatly expanded to cover different regional flavours. For example, I am thinking of sticking a Conan-esque city in the Desert of Skulls, and some Talents might be:

Pit Slave: This hero was once enslaved in the infamous Pits and still bears the marks of that experience. (S)he automatically gains the trust of other slaves, as long as (s)he does not act haughtily towards them, and can rely on their help. Reduce the hero's status by 1 to a minimum of zero.

Acolyte of Set: This hero willingly or unwillingly served in the underground temples of Set, the Snake God. (S)he can identify any poison ir even the presence of poison with a successful skill test (a failure means the hero must take a Luck test or become poisoned in the attempt).

Thieves Guild: This hero was trained in the infamous thieves guilds. In addition to knowing the secret signs of the thieves, this hero knows the hiding place of a well-guarded treasure lode somewhere in the city. However, due to a falling out with the guild masters, the hero now has a mark on his/her head!

I hadn't thought this far into them, at least not yet. I love this, really defines characters and the setting at the same time too. Talents like these could become available to active characters that find themselves in these or similar situation too. So after a pause when the players can spend XP they can buy these sorts of talents if they've been exposed to the right kind of events. Is that how you do it?
"Bright the Hawk's flight on the empty sky"
SkinnyOrc
Knight

Postby SkinnyOrc » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:28 pm

GreatArc wrote:I feel like the addition of Sorcery and Magic Points, etc, are unnecessary
Sorcery can be seen as an optional extra, especially if your campaign is in Allansia. The thing about Magic Points is they let a player develop a character who's good at either fighting or magic, or any degree of both.

GreatArc wrote:Making priestly magic simply the same system with different spell options was also terrific
I can see the appeal of keeping things simple but for me making priest magic different emphasises it comes from a different source. It was also quite a brave choice when you think how standard it is in RPGs for them to be just another spell list.

GreatArc wrote:like what AD&D was to D&D
Once you added together the Basic, Expert, Companion and Master sets, D&D was at least as complicated as AD&D, but I get what you mean :)

Laurence wrote:if you're truly looking for a super-simple, old-school RPG that can be taught in five minutes, go get a copy of the original Fighting Fantasy book
The original FF The Introductory Roleplaying Game would make a great set of intro rules for AFF2! They're easy for people with no RPG experience to pick up, have a lot in common with the FF Gamebooks that many know, and lead nicely into the full AFF2 rules.
Laurence

Postby Laurence » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:06 pm

Honestly, I think reprinting the original basic Fighting Fantasy: the Introductory Role-Playing Game would be a stroke of genius.

Put that thing up as a PDF, and promote it as the perfect way to introduce anyone to RPGs. It would practically be a public service. :)
SkinnyOrc
Knight

Postby SkinnyOrc » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:01 am

If FFTIRG was going to be republished as a give away to promote and introduce AFF2 you'd want to pull out the adventure content, there's too much potential value there. I'd still like to see those redone for AFF2 with some sort of plot that makes sense of the randomness. The encounters are individually interesting and having a picture for each is nice, but as a whole they don't stand up. Perhaps like this or there's probably other ways to achieve it.
Last edited by SkinnyOrc on Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Robb 1
Adventurer

Postby Robb 1 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:30 am

For my upcoming Nordic campaign I've added gifts from the gods adapted from ad&d 2ed Viking campaign source book and tweaked them for AFF some gifts are good eg son/daughter of a Jarl once in your life you can call on your father for a gift of longship and crew or a regiment of huscarls. Or bad outlawed you have a death sentence on your head from a rival family or kingdom. These are totally random and not all receive a gift

For my group we have an outlawed Trollborn and a rune marked human with the fire rune fethu who is chosen of Loki :D
Baldrick

Postby Baldrick » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:54 pm

Dupont wrote:I hadn't thought this far into them, at least not yet. I love this, really defines characters and the setting at the same time too. Talents like these could become available to active characters that find themselves in these or similar situation too. So after a pause when the players can spend XP they can buy these sorts of talents if they've been exposed to the right kind of events. Is that how you do it?

I wouldn't normally allow players to buy new talents unless the story called for it (skills, on the other hand, are easier to pick up later on). Even then, I think I would try to come up with a slightly different talent for characters later on... I see talents as niche archetypes (not classes... just character types in the story) and I'd want to protect a character's schtick.

For instance, if there was a former Acolyte of Set in the party and the heroes were captured and enslaved by Set-worshippers during the story, I may add a new talent for players that expressed interest, like "if a hero passes a Luck test vs a poison, (s)he has built up a natural immunity and is permanently immune to that type of poison from now on" or "the hero has an uncanny ability to unhinge joints and slip out of shackles or through tight spaces with a successful Luck test" or something else themed around the idea of being a prisoner of the Snake god.
Dupont
Adventurer

Postby Dupont » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:39 pm

For instance, if there was a former Acolyte of Set in the party and the heroes were captured and enslaved by Set-worshippers during the story, I may add a new talent for players that expressed interest, like "if a hero passes a Luck test vs a poison, (s)he has built up a natural immunity and is permanently immune to that type of poison from now on" or "the hero has an uncanny ability to unhinge joints and slip out of shackles or through tight spaces with a successful Luck test" or something else themed around the idea of being a prisoner of the Snake god.[/quote]

Well the flavour of all this is really strong, I hope you start a thread on this desert city. I love Conan and King Kull and a lost city like Xucotil or Xuthal has a lot of mystery. I would definitely want to have my players investigate it. I used this as a short write-up last night for my group to encourage this sort of thought in character gen ( Heavily flavoured text in the style of Red Nails or the Slithering Shadow, followed by your talents, hope you dont mind :P ).
"Bright the Hawk's flight on the empty sky"
Eddie

Postby Eddie » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:29 pm

on the original question i wouldn't play the original again.
there are just so many skills that were plain broken and as time went on the list grew in a way that was not adding to the game.
strength, magic (just 1 point), awareness, excellent hearing and vision, dark vision are just a few of the skills which became over powering and nothing prevented them being on the same character.

I was working on making my own version of AFF to fix these issues (one involved the more powerful skills causing you to lose a Skill point in the same way magic did, so if you did dip into all of them you'd be really weak) but then I found the game was made.

priestly magic is very well done, you need to work as a GM to make sure encounters per day are sufficient to challenge that player and similarly for a wizardry using character, but this is frequently an issue for similar games so I don't think it is a major one in this game.

I have different colour dice so for combat 2 white dice will be rolled for the combat roll and a different colour one for damage/armour depending on if the player wins or not.

Return to “Advanced Fighting Fantasy 2”