Flags and Heraldry

User avatar
Gareus
Posts: 35
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:14 am
Location: Allansia
Contact:

Flags and Heraldry

Postby Gareus » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:53 pm

Does anyone know of any flags from areas of Allansia? Im at work at the moment but really want to investigate later. I will go through my books too but if anyone has any links or book suggestions let me know.
Image
For Adventures Visit http://www.TheLegendofGareus.com or http://www.facebook.com/thelegendofgareus and give us a like......
gallowglacht
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:39 pm

Re: Flags and Heraldry

Postby gallowglacht » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:37 am

Wait, your location says you are in Allansia right now.
Just take a look around for castles and towers, they have examples flying from them.
.
.
.
.
.
In other words, sorry, I don't know.
Ruffnut
Hero
Posts: 552
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:17 am

Re: Flags and Heraldry

Postby Ruffnut » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:45 am

gallowglacht wrote:Wait, your location says you are in Allansia right now.
Just take a look around for castles and towers, they have examples flying from them.
.
.
.
.
.
In other words, sorry, I don't know.


I am not sure they even use flags except in battle...
He just sits there tapping away all day on a tiny screen. But he tells everyone that he is slaying Orcs.
Lorian
Knight
Posts: 398
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:17 am

Re: Flags and Heraldry

Postby Lorian » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:58 am

I believe that the type of down to earth world Steve and Ian made was one where there where no flags or banners.
Life is merely a speck of dust on the beach of time...
shintokamikaze
Knight
Posts: 494
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:40 pm

Re: Flags and Heraldry

Postby shintokamikaze » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:22 am

Lorian wrote:I believe that the type of down to earth world Steve and Ian made was one where there where no flags or banners.

Blacksand has a flag, that's all I know. but you could just make some up, that would be a cool project, I love little details like that, I would love to have little banners hanging from my blacksand terrain :lol:
shintokamikaze
Knight
Posts: 494
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:40 pm

Re: Flags and Heraldry

Postby shintokamikaze » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:24 am

shintokamikaze wrote:
Lorian wrote:I believe that the type of down to earth world Steve and Ian made was one where there where no flags or banners.

Blacksand has a flag, that's all I know. but you could just make some up, that would be a cool project, I love little details like that, I would love to have little banners hanging from my blacksand terrain :lol:
Lorian
Knight
Posts: 398
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:17 am

Re: Flags and Heraldry

Postby Lorian » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:13 pm

That would a good idea!
Life is merely a speck of dust on the beach of time...
gallowglacht
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:39 pm

Re: Flags and Heraldry

Postby gallowglacht » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:31 pm

The lack of in canon heraldry gives your players the opportunity to substitute their real life heraldry for their characters.
Mine, for example, would be a black Eagle. That's pretty cool.
Although, when I was a teenager, I did know a guy whose heraldry was the much less imposing......3 hedgehogs...
Dupont
Knight
Posts: 322
Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:08 pm
Location: Wandering the Berkshire Downs

Re: Flags and Heraldry

Postby Dupont » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:48 pm

AFF core book has the following illustrations that might be of inspiration/helps

There are a lot of recurring images that aren't technically anything to do with coats of arms, heraldic devices etc, but they could in a fantasy setting I think be easily acceptable: Skulls with claw or finger like appendages and the skeletons up to their waists in water I could easily see on the tattered banners of 'ravening hordes' terrorising far flung villages and towns. Theres also lots of sword designs as we would expect in the FF/AFF setting.

Actual heraldic devices in the core book appear first on the following pages -
13 - has a recurring illo of a shield with a ship on stylised waves beneath a sky with a sun and a moon, Page 102 sees this in use in a full illustration I suspect of Blacksand guards...
18 - has a recurring image of a shield with a single sun emblazoned on it, the sun has a face,
142 - a dragon emblem

I think thats it, I am sure any Fighting Fantasy book will have some in each too.
"Bright the Hawk's flight on the empty sky"
Ruffnut
Hero
Posts: 552
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:17 am

Re: Flags and Heraldry

Postby Ruffnut » Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:11 pm

IDEA: use the holy symbols of Gods!
He just sits there tapping away all day on a tiny screen. But he tells everyone that he is slaying Orcs.
Nuvole!
Hero
Posts: 825
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:06 pm

Re: Flags and Heraldry

Postby Nuvole! » Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:24 pm

I don't know if there are canon flags.
Out of canon, in my campaigns I used several times a striped black and amber flag for Rimon (if royals are involved, a tiger is included in the flag as well) and a crowned sea dragon for Kallamehr.
He's a real Nowhere man, sitting in his Nowhere land, making all his Nowhere plans for Nobody.
shintokamikaze
Knight
Posts: 494
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:40 pm

Re: Flags and Heraldry

Postby shintokamikaze » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:15 pm

Hullalla wrote:I don't know if there are canon flags.
Out of canon, in my campaigns I used several times a striped black and amber flag for Rimon (if royals are involved, a tiger is included in the flag as well) and a crowned sea dragon for Kallamehr.

Something like this
Image
Image
User avatar
Gareus
Posts: 35
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:14 am
Location: Allansia
Contact:

Re: Flags and Heraldry

Postby Gareus » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:39 pm

Ruffnut wrote:IDEA: use the holy symbols of Gods!


Ohh yes thats a great idea! I can incorporate runes into the flags too that way! ie: a star or double ended arrow on red for followers of Logaan.

Armies of death has the flag for the shadow demon on the cover and as a chapter break too. I also have most of the gamebooks (missing a few in the 50s grrrrrrr) so will do a deep dive this week but really like the idea of using the gods as well as territory :lol: Just dont want to mess with anything established is all but if theres not much established I will be all good.

Dupont thanks for the page numbers too I will go check them out!

gallowglacht wrote:Wait, your location says you are in Allansia right now.
.


Unfortunately I am currently knee deep in muck in the Forest of Fiends but as I sink slowly under the mud this question popped into my mind ;-)
Image
For Adventures Visit http://www.TheLegendofGareus.com or http://www.facebook.com/thelegendofgareus and give us a like......
shintokamikaze
Knight
Posts: 494
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:40 pm

Re: Flags and Heraldry

Postby shintokamikaze » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:45 pm

Gareus wrote:
Ruffnut wrote:IDEA: use the holy symbols of Gods!


Ohh yes thats a great idea! I can incorporate runes into the flags too that way! ie: a star or double ended arrow on red for followers of Logaan.

Armies of death has the flag for the shadow demon on the cover and as a chapter break too. I also have most of the gamebooks (missing a few in the 50s grrrrrrr) so will do a deep dive this week but really like the idea of using the gods as well as territory :lol: Just dont want to mess with anything established is all but if theres not much established I will be all good.

Dupont thanks for the page numbers too I will go check them out!

gallowglacht wrote:Wait, your location says you are in Allansia right now.
.


Unfortunately I am currently knee deep in muck in the Forest of Fiends but as I sink slowly under the mud this question popped into my mind ;-)


Are you going to do a set of flags, that would be epic 8)
User avatar
Gareus
Posts: 35
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:14 am
Location: Allansia
Contact:

Re: Flags and Heraldry

Postby Gareus » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:28 am

shintokamikaze wrote:
Are you going to do a set of flags, that would be epic 8)


I would love to but theres a bunch of research to do for each location including the gods, and history. Maybe though, Ive got something else im working on (taking a bit longer than id hoped) but after I might look into it! As long as folks here don't mind me asking countless questions!!!

Shinto, did you make that flag of Hullalla's up? It looks amazing!
Image
For Adventures Visit http://www.TheLegendofGareus.com or http://www.facebook.com/thelegendofgareus and give us a like......

Return to “Advanced Fighting Fantasy 2”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests