Module Conversion

Dupont
Adventurer

Re: Module Conversion

Postby Dupont » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:37 am

SkinnyOrc wrote:
Dupont wrote:there was an adventure on an island called Tol Eressea it was a D&D adventure with a lot of clues like runes carved onto stones on hill tops and scraps of clues. I will try and find it and find out what it was called.
Hmm I can't find what this was called or what issue it was in. Googling "White Dwarf Tol Eressea" just gets a lot of hits about Tolkien. I guess the name was something like that but not that :)

Dupont wrote:When running Warlock of Firetop Mountain recently I wished at times a few of the solo monsters were tougher, I get that in larger numbers the modifier turns the tide and that that makes the feel of the setting be about the forces of good being outnumbered but solo monsters fell too easily for my taste. In future I will definitely want to do that a bit more.
I've thought the same, outnumbered by weaker enemies is great but you also sometimes you want the party taking on a single tough creature and it putting up a good fight. The creature having multiple attacks helps but if you have at least four characters they still probably get an outnumbering bonus. So the creature needs a decent SKILL advantage and OotP is weighted towards lower SKILL monsters. It only becomes worse as the characters gain weapon special skill, which are pretty cheap. There's a thread on this here, http://arion-games.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=737&p=5813#p5215.

Ok Mission accepted - Today I will find the adventure ( I bet it's name is so far from what I was trying for its rediculous)

Will check that thread out when I've done it - Time to trawl through tons of PDFS :P
"Bright the Hawk's flight on the empty sky"
Dupont
Adventurer

Postby Dupont » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:11 am

The Sunfire's Heart - White Dwarf 56, wow there were so many scenarios though, Key of tyrandor was in a slightly earlier issue for instance - something in an alternative world so Ideal for those ZED spell hiccups, oh and its illustratrated by Russ Nicholson - Thought you might like that
Robb 1
Adventurer

Postby Robb 1 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:45 pm

I remember the Sunfires heart part 2 of it was in the following months WD and involved different tribes of xvarts and a warrior called panther and his party searching for the jewel also something to do with a very unusual tree and traveling to a mirror dimension to solve it all must dig it out ihave a copy of it in my loft.

The key to Tirandor was an excelent adventure too it was available for the Dragon Warriors rpg as was The ballad of times past which could also be the result of a failed Zed spell Early WDs had some pretty good adventures as you said Trouble at Ember trees was also pretty good :D
SkinnyOrc
Knight

Postby SkinnyOrc » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:38 am

Okay Sunfires Heart is set on Eresea Island, Tol Eressea was close :D
Dupont
Adventurer

Postby Dupont » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:26 am

SkinnyOrc wrote:Okay Sunfires Heart is set on Eresea Island, Tol Eressea was close :D

You saying I'm old and addled? lol fair play :P
Dupont
Adventurer

Postby Dupont » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:32 am

Ballad of Times Past ( Great names these adventures had too) wasn't that a railroaded style adventure though in White Dwarf too, I think in the same issue as Black Broo of Dyskund? I think that had the sorceress in white/pink on a blue background for the cover. That era had my favourite cover art hands down.

So were there two adventures with the same name, one in White Dwarf, one in Dragon Warriors?

Xvarts... I never knew quite how to deal with them, they weren't goblins, they weren't I dunno, Pixies as far as I can remember they were just funny little Xvarty things
SkinnyOrc
Knight

Postby SkinnyOrc » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:41 am

Dupont wrote:You saying I'm old and addled? lol fair play :P
Ha, I'd give you a run for your money on that one. But no I'm amazed this far after the mag came out you got that close!

I'm going to have to put some time aside to read old WD scenarios.
Dupont
Adventurer

Postby Dupont » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:33 am

SkinnyOrc wrote:
Dupont wrote:You saying I'm old and addled? lol fair play :P
Ha, I'd give you a run for your money on that one. But no I'm amazed this far after the mag came out you got that close!

I'm going to have to put some time aside to read old WD scenarios.

Yeah but Robb knew the names of NPCs!

Yeah I have to say, looking back at those WD 30-60's for Sunfire's Heart just showed once again how much good stuff there was in there.

Robb 1 wrote:I remember the Sunfires heart part 2 of it was in the following months WD and involved different tribes of xvarts and a warrior called panther and his party searching for the jewel also something to do with a very unusual tree and traveling to a mirror dimension to solve it all must dig it out ihave a copy of it in my loft.

The key to Tirandor was an excelent adventure too it was available for the Dragon Warriors rpg as was The ballad of times past which could also be the result of a failed Zed spell Early WDs had some pretty good adventures as you said Trouble at Ember trees was also pretty good :D

I Just realised I misread the Ballad of Times past bit... The Idea of trying to wend your way back to Titan after being zapped (ZED'd) into one alternate/pocket dimension and completing something there then moving to the next through a bunch of adventures like this could be fun... As long as there was some thread linking you being there in each one and the knowledge, or chance to gain the knowledge that you had to complete several tasks before being allowed back into Titan ( presumably to punch the pesky Sorcerer that sent you away in the first place)
SkinnyOrc
Knight

Postby SkinnyOrc » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:37 am

Nuvole! wrote:adaptation that allows Xanathon/Cona Nundrum/the Riddling Reaver to escape death and to maintain somehow his control on Duke Rhoona / Baron Bluestone until the beginning of The Riddling campaign
Yep makes sense and you'd know about the AFF characters and storylines better than I would. What I remember about being a player in X3 many moons ago is that fighting Xanathon, finding you can't kill him and retreating in a panic, was the best bit! The next best bit was skewering the smug git once we figured out how.
Robb 1
Adventurer

Postby Robb 1 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:00 pm

Think I might out old and out addle you both. I am old!!! :D The Ballad of times past and key To Tirandor (original WD cover big orc like pig thing looming over a house were 're edited for the now hard to get In from the cold supplement for the revamped Dragon Warriors not the original corgi books. ( I still have them And the revamped DW Too)

Yup remembered Panther from Sunfires heart, logged In my ancient memory banks along with the theme tune to many kids programs from my now distant youth, :D Having been reminded of it I will now be going up into the loft to 're read it,

I'm with you on Xvarts never was sure what to do with the pesky little blighters Might have to shove them in my Norse stuff They sort of sound like they might belong in Svartalfheim and be usefull for a bit of mini mayhem
Dupont
Adventurer

Postby Dupont » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:22 pm

Robb 1 wrote:Think I might out old and out addle you both. I am old!!! :D The Ballad of times past and key To Tirandor (original WD cover big orc like pig thing looming over a house were 're edited for the now hard to get In from the cold supplement for the revamped Dragon Warriors not the original corgi books. ( I still have them And the revamped DW Too)

Yup remembered Panther from Sunfires heart, logged In my ancient memory banks along with the theme tune to many kids programs from my now distant youth, :D Having been reminded of it I will now be going up into the loft to 're read it,

I'm with you on Xvarts never was sure what to do with the pesky little blighters Might have to shove them in my Norse stuff They sort of sound like they might belong in Svartalfheim and be usefull for a bit of mini mayhem

When we start having to shout repetitively to be heard then we can worry... I refuse to become one of the grumpy old men from the Muppets!

I spose Xvarts could be transplanted for plenty of things in AFF, whether its just some form of small goblin, some sort of Clone or I dunno, Pixie type things? Maybe even thi9ngs like Elvins..? I will re read Sunfire's Heart, I cant really remember how the adventure worked although I am pretty sure we played it, I would like to see what sort of personality the Xvarts have if nothing else. In a Norse setting some sort of petty dwarf thing like you say sounds perfect. I do think its about time you shared some play logs!
Robb 1
Adventurer

Postby Robb 1 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:35 pm

As soon as we start playing will let you know how it's going still in the prep stage currently, my groups still surviving the end of the world Zombie apocalypse at the moment with hilarious results think Shaun of the Dead on a budget.

All the Norse stuff is lurking on scraps of paper and whizzing round in my brain. The PCs have been created and are ready to go. The problem I have at the moment is writing the ideas into a cohesive story for them So far there are 3 Of the pcs Who are apprenticed to the local blacksmith ( himselfa disguised Storm Giant Rune smith) a mountain elf ,a trollborn and a stunty sorry Dwarf. The 4th pc as played by my good lady wife is a runemarked thief chosen of Loki. Scarily she loves playing scheming types and is extreemly good at it. Her last d and d pc was a were rat thief and she was by far the most effective one of the group.

It will start in the spring at the annual Wapentake where the trial to adulthood will begin that's as far as I am at the moment but giants, ruined towns with strange towers and dark mysteries await and maybe a little tinkering by the gods themselves. Berzerker lodges are also in the mix. Sadly I'm not old enough to retire yet so work and real life keep getting in the way. Any advice on cloning myself so I can do everything I would like gratefully received :D
SkinnyOrc
Knight

Postby SkinnyOrc » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:46 pm

Got my hands on a list of D&D scenarios from White Dwarf. Better late than never?

WD006, 1978.04, A Place in the Widlerness
WD007, 1978.06, Lair of the Demon Queen
WD009, 1978.10, The Lichway
WD011, 1979.02, A Bar-Room Brawl
WD012, 1979.04, Pool of the Standing Stones
WD018, 1980.04, The Halls of Tizun Thane
WD020, 1980.08, Grakt's Crag
WD021, 1980.10, Tomb of the Maharaja
WD023, 1981.02, The Hive of the Hrrr'l
WD024, 1981.04, The Lair of Maldred the Mighty
WD027, 1981.10, Hell's Portal
WD030, 1982.04, The Curse of the Wildland
WD032, 1982.08, Chaos From Mount Dorren
WD034, 1982.10, Trouble At Embertrees
WD037, 1983.01, The City In the Swamp
WD038, 1983.02, Khazad Dum!
WD039, 1983.03, The Daughter of Danu
WD040, 1983.04, The Eagle Hunt
WD042, 1983.06, Irillian 1
WD043, 1983.07, Irillian 2
WD044, 1983.08, Irillian 3
WD045, 1983.09, Irillian 4
WD046, 1983.10, Irillian 5
WD047, 1983.11, Irillian 6
WD048, 1983.12, The Lone and Level Sands
WD049, 1984.01, The Key of Tirandor 1
WD050, 1984.02, The Key of Tirandor 2
WD051, 1984.03, Ballard of Times Past
WD052, 1984.04, The Serpent's Venom
WD054, 1984.06, Temple of the Doomed Prince
WD055, 1984.07, Spiderbite
WD056, 1984.08, The Sunfire's Heart 1
WD057, 1984.09, The Sunfire's Heart 2
WD060, 1984.12, The Fear of Leefield
WD061, 1985.01, Beyond the Shadow of a Dream
WD065, 1985.05, The Sahuagin Heel
WD066, 1985.06, The Philosophers Stone
WD067, 1985.07, A Murder at Flaxton
WD068, 1985.08, Star of Darkness
WD069, 1985.09, Plague From the Past
WD070, 1985.10, In Too Deep
WD071, 1985.11, A Box of Old Bones
WD072, 1985.12, The Necklace of Brisingamen
WD074, 1986.02, Terror at Trollmarsh
WD075, 1986.03, Nightmare in Green
WD076, 1986.04, Castle in the Wind
WD077, 1986.05, A Secret Wish
WD083, 1986.11, The Black Knight
WD084, 1986.12, Shadowmagic
WD090, 1987.06, Killing In Silk
WD091, 1987.07, A Matter of Pride
WD092, 1987.08, Rescue the Paladin!
WD093, 1987.09, Getting Away From Most of It
Dupont
Adventurer

Postby Dupont » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:12 am

SkinnyOrc wrote:Got my hands on a list of D&D scenarios from White Dwarf. Better late than never?

Wow, its so funny seeing those titles, I remember little details here and there like the distinctive map for Spiderbite - I think it was me in our group that ran that one, nice simple adventure.

I vaguely remember the Halls of Tizun Thane too, and then years later I read the R.E. Howard King Kull and there was the Mirrors of Tuzun Thune... ( I wish he had written more Kull than he did, it felt so ancient and wierd at times )

So what, if any are you thinking of doing next?
Dupont
Adventurer

Postby Dupont » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:37 am

Robb 1 wrote:As soon as we start playing will let you know how it's going still in the prep stage currently, my groups still surviving the end of the world Zombie apocalypse at the moment with hilarious results think Shaun of the Dead on a budget.

All the Norse stuff is lurking on scraps of paper and whizzing round in my brain. The PCs have been created and are ready to go. The problem I have at the moment is writing the ideas into a cohesive story for them So far there are 3 Of the pcs Who are apprenticed to the local blacksmith ( himselfa disguised Storm Giant Rune smith) a mountain elf ,a trollborn and a stunty sorry Dwarf. The 4th pc as played by my good lady wife is a runemarked thief chosen of Loki. Scarily she loves playing scheming types and is extreemly good at it. Her last d and d pc was a were rat thief and she was by far the most effective one of the group.

It will start in the spring at the annual Wapentake where the trial to adulthood will begin that's as far as I am at the moment but giants, ruined towns with strange towers and dark mysteries await and maybe a little tinkering by the gods themselves. Berzerker lodges are also in the mix. Sadly I'm not old enough to retire yet so work and real life keep getting in the way. Any advice on cloning myself so I can do everything I would like gratefully received :D

I love Shaun of the Dead, actually anything Zombie Apocalypse ( I no longer include The Walking Dead in that, its more like The Talking Dead!) , also the Blacksmith Giant in disguise is really armospheric. Have you read Susan Cooper's The Dark is Rising? Its a young adults/kids series and its not perfect but its got some great moments especially in the book the series is named after, very good at 'Supernatural folk hidden among the populace'. I have to say though I was overall underwhelmed a lot of the time through the series otherwise even if it was well written and had good eerie norse elements roaming around 20th century Buckinghamshire, it felt a little lacking sometimes.

Is there a reason the Giant is hiding among humans? Could that be where the story springs from? Is there going to be a Ragnarok type element?

Return to “Advanced Fighting Fantasy 2”