Other Settings

Dupont
Knight

Other Settings

Postby Dupont » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:19 pm

Has anyone played (Or even considered playing) in other settings than Titan using AFF2?

It just seems like a ruleset that lends itself to a no fuss cross over into other settings. The rules on character creation for instance are so tweakable you can make pretty much anything you like with them.

It often crosses my mind they would work well in something like Tekumel/Empire of the Petal Throne.
"Bright the Hawk's flight on the empty sky"
gallowglacht

Re: Other Settings

Postby gallowglacht » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:44 pm

I'm considering using it for the early D&D Known World stuff (the world that later became Mystara).
It also looks good for Conan and Birthright.
Or Skyrim, if you weren't too concerned about a direct one to one mapping of stuff and happy with broad strokes, like I am.

It does cover a broad range of fantasy archetypes. I can't wait to see how it plays tonight :)
SkinnyOrc
Knight

Postby SkinnyOrc » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:00 pm

Hullalla did a really detailed Barsoom setting, complete with new skills and talents:
http://fightingfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/File:AFFF_1.en_Life_on_Barsoom.pdf

For a more typical fantasy setting you could use AFF2 almost as is. You might want to leave out Sorcery and the Priest powers would need to be remapped to local gods, but apart from that.
Dupont
Knight

Postby Dupont » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:35 pm

Ah I like John Carter, I will definitely give that a look, thanks
Laurence

Postby Laurence » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:53 am

I don't know if this counts, but one time I did an adventure for 1920s archaeologists vs. Lovecraftian baddies. I used weird monsters right out of the book, and I think we said that firearms did 1d6 damage. (Funny enough, though, one of the heroes spent most combats hitting things with a shovel.) Worked well enough. If I did it again, I'd use Stellar Adventures because it has actual firearms, Talents, etc.
Nuvole!
Hero

Postby Nuvole! » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:30 am

Let me refer you to this previous discussion: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=506&p=2653
He's a real Nowhere man, sitting in his Nowhere land, making all his Nowhere plans for Nobody.
Dupont
Knight

Postby Dupont » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:39 am

Thanks Hullalla, I should have checked for an older post on this sort of topic :P
SkinnyOrc
Knight

Postby SkinnyOrc » Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:41 pm

gallowglacht wrote:I'm considering using it for the early D&D Known World stuff (the world that later became Mystara).
Not that it'll be useful or anything but you might find this interesting if you haven't already read it, https://www.blackgate.com/2015/02/07/the-known-world-dd-setting-a-secret-history/. And here's the hand drawn maps from that first article with labels added to show what was where, http://adventuresingaming2.blogspot.com.au/2015/02/mystara-original-known-world.html.

Return to “Advanced Fighting Fantasy 2”