Arhallogen and Hmurresh

Eddie

Arhallogen and Hmurresh

Post by Eddie » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:28 pm

part of the sandbox adventure I am writing has a powerful follower of Arhallogen (Spider god) as one of the powerful bad guys.

I am considering putting in a group of weak cultists following Hmurresh (fly god) who are not supposed to try to stop the other person, but find out what they are doing and interfere if possible.

this is intended more as an offshoot of the real action(s) going on, but would give players the option to ally with the weaker cultists in a "the enemy of my enemy" kind of way.
I note that both gods give shapechange as an ability, like all beast lords, I was just wondering what options this gives?
because in OOTP there are multiple types of fly, without even considering others like dragonfly, as options.
also spiders: in OOTP there is only a giant spider and I am going to make variants for my game for that anyway.

I am not specifically looking for advice on the cult itself, although if anyone has anything interesting I may well steal it (!!), I intend them to be deliberately not very threatening as they are being added mostly as an afterthought.

so what shapechange options do you think should be available? OOTP has common giant fly, needle fly and fire fly.

(I have yet to get the more recent Pit book but I do intend to)

Lorian
Knight

Re: Arhallogen and Hmurresh

Post by Lorian » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:39 am

Beyond the pit has many more spiders in it - I would let them turn into any fly or spider they choose best reflects their personality.
Life is merely a speck of dust on the beach of time...

Ruffnut
Hero

Post by Ruffnut » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:04 am

You could use a fly in either OOTP or BTP as a starting point, then modify it's stats to suit the person.
He just sits there tapping away all day on a tiny screen. But he tells everyone that he is slaying Orcs.

Robb 1
Knight

Post by Robb 1 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:16 pm

Nice enter the Blundel Fly :lol: top ideas :D

TheoOfSilverton

Post by TheoOfSilverton » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:45 pm

Don't know if you ever watched 'Grimm', but you could treat the shapeshifting similar to when wesen 'vogue'. They could have a particular fly type that is like their totem...
In a time of fear and confusion, silence charging the air
The sunlight is gone, darkness lives on, in the heart of the dragon's lair

Robb 1
Knight

Post by Robb 1 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:45 pm

TheoOfSilverton wrote:Don't know if you ever watched 'Grimm', but you could treat the shapeshifting similar to when wesen 'vogue'. They could have a particular fly type that is like their totem...

sounds good you could allow them to adopt a hybrid form
combining certain elements of their totem creature Driders spring to mind.

If you can find it acopy of Hive of the Hirrll in white Dwarf has a whole hive of insect men you could use for inspiration.

drbargle

Post by drbargle » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:18 pm

Eddie wrote:so what shapechange options do you think should be available? OOTP has common giant fly, needle fly and fire fly.
One thing I'd definitely try to work in there is the possibility for the bad guys to transform into SWARMS of flies or spiders. The idea of being overrun by a cloud of flies or a heaving carpet of normal sized spiders scares me more that the idea of a single giant fly/spider. By scares me, I am imagining I am a Hero who can fight WOLVES and BEARS etc., of course!

I'd also think about having followers of these gods acquire 'gifts' - being blessed with partial transformation into the god's archetypal form. So extra limbs, acidic vomiting mouthparts, wall crawling, etc. It's easy to model these kind of things in AFF as there are so few moving parts you simply write an 'exception' - like a Monster's special attack or a Hero's 'Talent'.

This post reminds me that I had these to gods opposed to each other in a game a ran a couple of years ago. Some of the relevant encounters are here:

http://drbargle.blogspot.co.uk/search/l ... %20Project

Eddie

Post by Eddie » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:53 pm

thanks all for the ideas.
I have watched Grimm and like the idea of a partial transformation.

drbargle I have actually read those blog posts about 18 months ago when I first started looking into AFF2 as it happens!
just couldn't remember how I found them and googling the gods names didn't help.

the cultists are now in a cave with some flies that they brought with them as eggs, whether the players will ever interact with them I don't know.

the witch worshipper of Arhallogen is much more likely to be encountered due to her location (in a previously elven forest but nobody has seen them for some time, actually due to a dragon taking up residence, but they will be unlikely to meet that. I hope) where players are likely to go to see why the healing herbs no longer grow there for a herbalist in the town.

it is likely to be an early pick up plot hook...maybe.
cannot rely on players after all!