Re: Newbee question

Post by raskal » Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:53 am

SkinnyOrc wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:21 am
raskal wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:38 am
On my blog, you will find some post about Défis Fanstatiques / AFF2 :
http://theraskalrpg.blogspot.com/search ... ntastiques
Your blog is an entertaining read, even through Google Translate!
Many Thanks

SkinnyOrc
Hero

Post by SkinnyOrc » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:40 am

Interesting to read that Défis Fanstatiques has different layout and art to the AFF2 rulebook. The pictures of the covers suggest a high standard of presentation. Is there a PDF? I would be tempted to buy it if it's not too much, just to see how it looks.

HedgeWizard
Knight

Post by HedgeWizard » Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:02 pm

I was looking at DF and the Forum from the publisher. Looks good I have to say! Although the forum seems a bit quiet these days, how is the community over there?

Looking at the other discussions happening about how to make AFF more popular wondering if there would be opportunities for cross pollination of ideas?

Jakob

Post by Jakob » Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:44 pm

I'll chime in with my own question from another not-quite newbie (I've grown up on the German translations of the FF books ...). Still looking for a quick-and-easy but flexible fantasy system, and AFF2 comes surprisingly near to what I imagine.
One of my questions:
Am i correct that the level of a wizardry spell only affects the Magic Points cost, not the difficulty to cast it (to me, it would feel intuitive to make higher-level spellls harder to cast).
Is it correct that every round of concentration when casting a spell gives you +2 to your casting roll, and that you can spend additional MP to get a further bonus? Without any limit? It seems like this would mean that if you have enough time (or willing to spend enough MP, or a combination of both), you can only fail casting a spell by fumbling. Is that intended?

Thanks in advance!
http://swanosaurus.blogspot.com/ - A Fierce and Beautfiul Creature

Jakob

Post by Jakob » Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:04 pm

Another few:
How is withdrawal from combat handled? If one combatant wants to hit another, but the other one just wants to get away, what happens? I'd tend to make it an opposed roll dodge vs. attack skill, with a succesful dodge meaning that the withdrawal was succesful (otherwise, the attacker does damage as usual).
Also, if you're fighting defensively, can you use dodge instead of you weapon skill (I'd rule yes)?

And: When you roll against someone attacking you in combat without having a missile weapon yourself, do you use dodge? Using a melee weapon would seem to make little sense (However, for simplicities sake, I can get behind the idea that you'd still roll against someones melee combat total when shooting at someone who is in close combat with another opponent).

Is it correct that no matter how many attacks are made, each combatant only rolls one combat total per round, and that this total is also used as defense value against attacks by multiple opponents? So if you roll well, you defend well against all attackers, including the ones shooting at you?

HedgeWizard
Knight

Post by HedgeWizard » Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:27 pm

Jakob wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:44 pm
I'll chime in with my own question from another not-quite newbie (I've grown up on the German translations of the FF books ...). Still looking for a quick-and-easy but flexible fantasy system, and AFF2 comes surprisingly near to what I imagine.
One of my questions:
Am i correct that the level of a wizardry spell only affects the Magic Points cost, not the difficulty to cast it (to me, it would feel intuitive to make higher-level spellls harder to cast).
Is it correct that every round of concentration when casting a spell gives you +2 to your casting roll, and that you can spend additional MP to get a further bonus? Without any limit? It seems like this would mean that if you have enough time (or willing to spend enough MP, or a combination of both), you can only fail casting a spell by fumbling. Is that intended?

Thanks in advance!
In the rules it doesn’t say that bigger spells are harder to case but that would make sense if you want to dial back the magic a bit. You also have the option of limiting what spells someone can learn based on their magic skill and keeping magic skill to half the magic characteristic. This means that the bigger spells can only be cast by very powerful wizards anyway.

For the concentration that’s how i read it. Basically if you spend your time quietly gathering the magical energies then you are more likely to succeed. Makes sense in a way but does mean that if you don’t limit access to the higher power spells then even a low power spell caster can hide away and do some real damage.

Jakob

Post by Jakob » Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:18 pm

Thanks - seems like I understand the RAW and the RAI correctly, with house-ruling (if necessary) being relatively simple.
From the top of my head, I'd use the difficulty level of the spell as penalty to the casting roll, and allow to use concentration only to offset that (and other) penalties. That way, bigger spells don't become impossible, but they can be cast on the fly only by true masters of the art.

SkinnyOrc
Hero

Post by SkinnyOrc » Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:02 am

Jakob wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:04 pm
Is it correct that no matter how many attacks are made, each combatant only rolls one combat total per round, and that this total is also used as defense value against attacks by multiple opponents? So if you roll well, you defend well against all attackers, including the ones shooting at you?
I play it that you make a separate roll for each attack against you, but I think the other way is a valid choice if you want to speed up combat.

Eddie
Adventurer

Post by Eddie » Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:54 pm

i use additional rolls for each attack, it stops the poor roll killing a character or a great roll meaning it is impossible to harm for that one round.

if someone is fighting defensively i tend to allow them to use their usual weapons as normal.
if their dodge is higher it makes sense to allow them to use that instead in my opinion

in terms of withdrawing from combat it depends on the situation:
if they're fully involved and decide to retreat, say they're outmatched, they fight a round defensively to escape and then use dodge to get away, failing that they fight another round
or they can just break and run, no fight defensively round, just normal rolls (makes it more likely they'll be hurt though)

if not fought a round yet then i just allow them to withdraw, a lot of this depends on what the other combatants are doing of course.
i most often find this happens when an enemy manages to engage the wizard in hand to hand combat but other combatants are willing fighters.

put yourself in the monsters shoes: do you press your advantage on the useless enemy? or engage the much more competent guy swinging a sword at your head?
so this changes depending on the sort of monster, if the wizard has already cast spells, team work of the other monsters etc etc