mRPG and AFF

Advanced Fighting Fantasy discussion
Dawndeath
Adventurer

mRPG and AFF

Post by Dawndeath » Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:07 pm

Hey, has anyone tried using the mRPG app for Android or Apple to run AFF games online? I've been tinkering about with it and it looks pretty neat, I'm just not sure how practical it is. Anyone have any experience. and if so, what are your thoughts?

bottg
Site Admin

Re: mRPG and AFF

Post by bottg » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:26 am

I can't say I have ever heard of that one. I use Fantasy Grounds for almost all of my gaming these days, and that works fairly well for AFF. The ruleset for it is based on the older version of the Fantasy Grounds base ruleset, but there may be the possibility of a new one in the future.

Dawndeath
Adventurer

Post by Dawndeath » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:09 am

Cool, thanks for the reply, Graham. I've not looked at Fantasy Grounds yet, but I've heard a few good things about it from other people too.

Trying to find people to game with in person is pretty difficult where I am, so I'm slowly warming myself up to the idea of online games.

If anyone has any comments or advice about mRPG, Fantasy Grounds, or any of the other services out there for gaming over the internet, with particular reference to their suitability for AFF, such comments would be very much appreciated.

PS, if you want to explain anything technical about servers and stuff, go for it. But please assume you're talking to a moron. I can barely use this site. :lol:

Thanks lovely people.

darksoul
Knight

Post by darksoul » Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:14 am

I'm currently using tabletop simulator.
It requires quite a bit of your own work though.

Dawndeath
Adventurer

Post by Dawndeath » Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:42 am

darksoul wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:14 am
I've not heard of that one - I'll have to have a look.

How do you find it works for AFF?

darksoul
Knight

Post by darksoul » Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:28 am

Dawndeath wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:42 am
darksoul wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:14 am
I've not heard of that one - I'll have to have a look.

How do you find it works for AFF?
I like it but you'll need to prep quite a bit to get going initially. It's a giant table and you can import various things like dice or object. You can make your own tokens or mini's and import a picture onto them. I like it because it's 3d and let's me create things and there is some interesting community content.

Here's a pic of my last game prep. https://ibb.co/yS4qLCm

Dawndeath
Adventurer

Post by Dawndeath » Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:49 pm

That looks pretty cool. I will definitely take a look. :mrgreen:

The thing that appealed to me about mRPG is that it's really easy to learn how to use; but that's because it's very feature-lite. It's basically an RPG-oriented chat client, with dice-rolling, customisable character sheets, that sort of thing. It's pretty neat for what it is, especially so because it makes role-playing on the go quite accessible.

But looking at some of the recommended 'grown-up' virtual RPG systems, I think I might try and be brave and actually learn how to use something a bit more serious.