Does anyone use AFF for other settings?

Advanced Fighting Fantasy discussion
Jakob

Does anyone use AFF for other settings?

Post by Jakob » Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:30 pm

Just out of curiosity: Is anyone using AFF with other settings than Titan, either homebrew or other rpg or media worlds?
http://swanosaurus.blogspot.com/ - A Fierce and Beautfiul Creature

Nuvole!
Archmage

Re: Does anyone use AFF for other settings?

Post by Nuvole! » Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:46 pm

I'm the real Nowhere man, sitting in my Nowhere land, making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.

Jakob

Post by Jakob » Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:24 pm

Thanks - didn't see that thread!

Nuvole!
Archmage

Post by Nuvole! » Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:31 pm

It is an old thread and this could be a good opportunity to refresh it.
I'm the real Nowhere man, sitting in my Nowhere land, making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.

LordArioch
Adventurer

Post by LordArioch » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:11 am

Nothing against Titan, but the rules are so simple that they can be used with a homebrew campaign with little effort.

I'm really interested in using AFF2e for a horror/Lovecraftian kind of setting. Perhaps there are mechanics like FEAR (House of Hell) which can be modified as a SANITY stat (roll = or < to keep Sanity); very scary events or encounters whittle away at the stat.

drbargle

Post by drbargle » Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:39 am

LordArioch wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:11 am
I'm really interested in using AFF2e for a horror/Lovecraftian kind of setting. Perhaps there are mechanics like FEAR (House of Hell) which can be modified as a SANITY stat (roll = or < to keep Sanity); very scary events or encounters whittle away at the stat.
It'd also be really interesting as it would foreground the use of non-combat skills. I think there's a lot than can be done with the simple AFF 'engine', and in this case I think I'd look to something like Fate to think about how I could make non-combat 'encounters' as interesting as combat encounters, while keeping the brevity and simplicity of AFF.

Jakob

Post by Jakob » Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:43 pm

drbargle wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:39 am
LordArioch wrote:
It'd also be really interesting as it would foreground the use of non-combat skills. I think there's a lot than can be done with the simple AFF 'engine', and in this case I think I'd look to something like Fate to think about how I could make non-combat 'encounters' as interesting as combat encounters, while keeping the brevity and simplicity of AFF.
I think that the title "Fighting Fantasy" is a little misleading, anyway. (I realize, of course, that it is part of the legacy of this game and you can't just go and change it.) While most of the published scenarios seem to be fight-heavy (though I don't know that many), AFF2s skill system is really very robust, and there's a lot you can do in terms of rules without having to fight (it's different, in that regard, from most versions of D&D, where you really miss out on most of the game if you don't fight). Also, AFF2s combat system is deadly enough that you don't have to soften the characters up with constant combat encounters before the big finale ...

LordArioch
Adventurer

Post by LordArioch » Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:40 pm

drbargle wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:39 am
LordArioch wrote:
It'd also be really interesting as it would foreground the use of non-combat skills.
Good point. From what I've gleaned from the Call of Cthulhu RPG it's more about staying alive and sane -- not really about the hack-n-slash-n-take-treasure grind.

On another note, I think it would be a great challenge to try to convert the Choose Your Own Adventure murder-mystery classic Who Killed Harlowe Thrombey? into a FF book (with a dash of the supernatural for flavour).

SkinnyOrc
Hero

Post by SkinnyOrc » Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:54 am

Jakob wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:43 pm
While most of the published scenarios seem to be fight-heavy (though I don't know that many), AFF2s skill system is really very robust, and there's a lot you can do in terms of rules without having to fight (it's different, in that regard, from most versions of D&D, where you really miss out on most of the game if you don't fight).
Yep it actually works very well with less combat heavy scenarios like investigations. It's also fairly easy converting that sort of scenario from a game like Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay where they're common, there aren't a lot of stats.
Jakob wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:43 pm
Also, AFF2s combat system is deadly enough that you don't have to soften the characters up with constant combat encounters before the big finale ...
Also true, mainly perhaps because there's less healing so any accumulation of damage is a problem, at least compared to D&D past low levels.
LordArioch wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:40 pm
From what I've gleaned from the Call of Cthulhu RPG it's more about staying alive and sane -- not really about the hack-n-slash-n-take-treasure grind.
I've played CoC a bit and going insane is pretty much a given. You're almost better off dying heroically in battle! But a lot depends on the GM of course.
LordArioch wrote:
On another note, I think it would be a great challenge to try to convert the Choose Your Own Adventure murder-mystery classic Who Killed Harlowe Thrombey? into a FF book (with a dash of the supernatural for flavour).
I hadn't heard of this before, I'll have to check it out.

Nuvole!
Archmage

Post by Nuvole! » Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:45 am

LordArioch wrote:
This is actually a good one, but there are more CYOA that can be interesting.
Few years ago I converted some Sherlock Holmes gamebooks for a simplified AFF rules game.