what do you give Luck for?

Advanced Fighting Fantasy discussion
Eddie
Adventurer

what do you give Luck for?

Post by Eddie » Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:28 am

i'm writing an adventure but i don't normally do linear adventures, typically i play a sandbox style game, which my players are struggling to get on with.

so i'm wondering what you guys all give Luck points for?

i only have two adventure books to read for inspiration: crown of kings and warlock of firetop mountain so i am looking for additional inspiration.

i've read the alternative means to regain Luck points thread already, but i don't really want something so formulaic as it tends to get abused in that way.

dipsomancer

Re: what do you give Luck for?

Post by dipsomancer » Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:37 am

There's is a tendency in the books to reward acts of kindness and charity. Tbh though I find its more about the kind of actions you feel the characters should be rewarded for, if your players want to be hero's then reward heroism, if your players want to play daring thieves - then reward daring and audacious actions. If you have a problem with players murder hobo'ing there way though your adventures then reward diplomacy.

I tend to find as well that the number of rewards is also more to do with your tables preferred play style. If your players are constantly wanting to spend luck in combat, and you want to encourage that then you can throw in more rewards, if their more conservative and like the feeling of being under pressure (or you want to create that feeling) you can hold back rewards. It's worth having a conversation with them and discussing.

LordArioch
Adventurer

Post by LordArioch » Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:40 pm

Dedicating a generous offering to the local temple, church, etc. would surely cause the Powers That Be to bestow a point or two of LUCK on the mortal hero.

Chompy

Post by Chompy » Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:06 pm

Something a little outside the box is that you could reward luck for good roleplaying. If it's something you want to encourage.
If the players act in a way that fits their character, or really fits with the world, maybe you can give them a LUCK point or two. Same for other good behaviour like not exploiting mechanics? :D

Or if you're writing the rewards into your adventure, perhaps there's some decisions where, for example, they can accept the big bag of gold that the poor starving village put together as payment... but if they turn it down you award them all some luck points instead. Or returning a valuable ring to its owner instead of selling it. Hopefully that's not too abusable since you'd be writing these specific opportunities into your adventure or world?

SkinnyOrc
Hero

Post by SkinnyOrc » Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:47 am

I've pretty much followed what it says in the rulebook about them being for "making fortunate choices, discovering key quest items" or helping "another character who will be important later on".

So for example in my Eye of the Serpent adaption I awarded them for:
Finding a treasure that was small and hard to spot (a few of these in the adventure)
Avoiding an ambush (Needlemen, Baddu-Beetle)
Gaining the friendship of an important NPC (Swilbosh)
Achieving a difficult goal in their current quest (making it up the mountain and back)

Chompy wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:06 pm
Something a little outside the box is that you could reward luck for good roleplaying.
You could, but I normally award extra XP for this instead. Luck has to be awarded during the game to be useful but XP is at the end. For roleplaying rewards it probably works better at the end.

Slloyd14
Site Admin

Post by Slloyd14 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:20 pm

Chompy wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:06 pm
Something a little outside the box is that you could reward luck for good roleplaying. If it's something you want to encourage.
If the players act in a way that fits their character, or really fits with the world, maybe you can give them a LUCK point or two. Same for other good behaviour like not exploiting mechanics? :D

Or if you're writing the rewards into your adventure, perhaps there's some decisions where, for example, they can accept the big bag of gold that the poor starving village put together as payment... but if they turn it down you award them all some luck points instead. Or returning a valuable ring to its owner instead of selling it. Hopefully that's not too abusable since you'd be writing these specific opportunities into your adventure or world?
Maybe a character could write down 3 ambitions that they have, such as helping people, getting rich and clearing their name. Every time they achieve one to a big enough extent (such as giving gold to villagers), they get a big luck reward (between 3 and restore to initial level) and get to replace it with a new ambition.
http://virtualfantasies.blogspot.com/

A blog about writing gamebooks. My musings on how to write a gamebook and what makes a good gamebook.

Eddie
Adventurer

Post by Eddie » Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:46 am

Quite like the ambition thing actually!

currently they are going to gain Luck for meeting certain NPC's who help them in various ways, they can potentially make the adventure easier too.

which makes me feel a bit like they're getting a double reward, especially as the help in some cases is especially significant against their foes.