Hi All - new stuff?

Advanced Fighting Fantasy discussion
bonefish

Hi All - new stuff?

Post by bonefish » Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:31 pm

Hi guys and girls.

Old RPGer here. Cut my teeth on the original FF books oh so long ago. Got quite obsessed with them!
Been playing Warhammer FRP and D&D since among others.

Recently discovered AFF2e and love it! Plan to use it to get my daughters into RPGs :-)
I have the main book and Arion book.
My question though is this..Where can I find more cantrips, skills and talents? or indeed guidelines to adding my own? or even Fan made stuff?
Is there a central repository for fan stuff? or that's been ratified by Mr B himself?

Thanks !

Nuvole!
Archmage

Re: Hi All - new stuff?

Post by Nuvole! » Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:00 pm

Hello, you can find several more Talents, Special Skills etc. in Heroes Companion (https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/17 ... -Companion).
You can find amateur adventures here: viewforum.php?f=23 or here: https://fightingfantasy.fandom.com/wiki ... ng_Fantasy
If you like French, there are more here: https://www.scenariotheque.org/Document ... id_jeu=388
Enjoy! 8)
I'm the real Nowhere man, sitting in my Nowhere land, making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.

bonefish

Post by bonefish » Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:11 pm

Excellent. Thankyou !

I'm surprised this system hasn't made a massive splash in the rpg world. It strikes a very cool balance between simplicity and depth, with one of the greatest histories in gaming.
I'll deffo be telling more people about it!

Eldarune

Post by Eldarune » Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:02 pm

bonefish wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:11 pm
I'm surprised this system hasn't made a massive splash in the rpg world. It strikes a very cool balance between simplicity and depth, with one of the greatest histories in gaming.
I'll deffo be telling more people about it!
Hopefully when Graham and I get the AFF2e ruleset for Fantasy Grounds finished, that will help spread the work a bit too ;)

bonefish

Post by bonefish » Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:46 pm

Yes I had a look at Fantasy Grounds. Looks very good, but sadly if its paid, I won't be able to do it. (Lockdowns had a rather c**p effect on us.) Next best thing I want to try and do is get the pdf for the Companion.

Slloyd14
Site Admin

Post by Slloyd14 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:59 pm

Welcome!

I have made all of those things and more and stored them in this document:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bw3nCQ ... p=drivesdk
http://virtualfantasies.blogspot.com/

A blog about writing gamebooks. My musings on how to write a gamebook and what makes a good gamebook.

Slloyd14
Site Admin

Post by Slloyd14 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:00 pm

http://virtualfantasies.blogspot.com/

A blog about writing gamebooks. My musings on how to write a gamebook and what makes a good gamebook.

bonefish

Post by bonefish » Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:36 pm

Thankyou.

HedgeWizard
Knight

Post by HedgeWizard » Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:41 am

There is a wealth of stuff on this forum if you have the time to search. The community has waves of frenetic creativity and as a result some really great stuff has been made over the years.

The fanzine Warlock (first issue published this summer) is also sharing new stuff. The first issue didn’t have any skills and car traps but I’m sure someone will write an article sooner rather than later.

Finally you are also free to let your creative juices flow! On page 152 of the rule book there is a discussion on new Talents and Skills while on 157 it talks about creating Magic Spells and Cantraps. Feel free to share your creations with the community and if you want to throw ideas about then you’ll always find people happy to be sounding board.

bonefish

Post by bonefish » Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:21 pm

HedgeWizard wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:41 am
There is a wealth of stuff on this forum if you have the time to search. The community has waves of frenetic creativity and as a result some really great stuff has been made over the years.

The fanzine Warlock (first issue published this summer) is also sharing new stuff. The first issue didn’t have any skills and car traps but I’m sure someone will write an article sooner rather than later.

Finally you are also free to let your creative juices flow! On page 152 of the rule book there is a discussion on new Talents and Skills while on 157 it talks about creating Magic Spells and Cantraps. Feel free to share your creations with the community and if you want to throw ideas about then you’ll always find people happy to be sounding board.
That's awesome. Thankyou !

SkinnyOrc
Hero

Post by SkinnyOrc » Tue Nov 03, 2020 4:19 am

bonefish wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:31 pm
Old RPGer here. Cut my teeth on the original FF books oh so long ago. Got quite obsessed with them! Been playing Warhammer FRP and D&D since among others.
You took a similar path to me. It was the FF craze hitting my high school that made it easy to get players for my Moldvay D&D set. Then after a gap for the whole of the 90s I moved on to WFRP, CoC and a few others. AFF2 I discovered when I bought a faulty printing of the rulebook that was going very cheap and figured why not. I'd read Steve Jackson's FF The Introductory RPG back in the 80s, which I'd liked but was very simple, then completely missed AFF1 and wasn't aware how much progress they'd made in turning that into a full featured RPG.

So AFF2 was a revelation. All the things I wanted in a RPG were there; flexible non-class based character gen, an interesting skill system, armour reducing damage not hits, combat rounds where one side doesn't appear to freeze while the other acts, priest magic being a unique system that's more like miracles than spells, XP for achievements rather than treasure and killing things, and so on. Graham did a great job of filling the gaps left from AFF1 and extending the richness of the system. He's responsible for a lot of my favourite AFF features.

Add to that a world I already had a soft spot for, with the content of about 70 FF and Sorcery gamebooks to fill it. Extracting all that into AFF2 books is a work in progress, although with four creature books (counting Rough Guide to the Pit), a plant/herb book, and a magic items book on the way, we have a lot of it. It remains my favourite RPG today.
bonefish wrote:
My question though is this..Where can I find more cantrips, skills and talents? or indeed guidelines to adding my own? or even Fan made stuff?
So apart from Heroes Companion (which has loads of new magic types, skills and talents) there's also a few in Blacksand (firepowder skills, Naval Sorcery), The Titan Herbal (Herb Lore skill and plant related items), Demons of Doom (demon related skills, talents and items), and Return to the Pit (Monster Lore skill).
bonefish wrote:
Is there a central repository for fan stuff? or that's been ratified by Mr B himself?
I suspect he's way too busy to maintain something like that, but there is a lot here on the forum worth considering for your game. Stuart's doc has some good stuff, but I don't think he's added Shadow Magic yet.

HedgeWizard
Knight

Post by HedgeWizard » Tue Nov 03, 2020 4:05 pm

Big thumbs up for the Hero’s Companion, Blacksand and the Titan Herbal. They are jam packed with great additional information and rules.

bonefish

Post by bonefish » Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:10 pm

Thanks Skinny !

As and when I can afford them, I plan to get the PDF versions of several of those. Id rather have the real books of course, but 2020 has not been great for us.

Still, at least we have running water, a roof over us, and we're all ok, so we're still living in luxury compared to a huge amount of the world! :-)
...AND we get to play Aff2, so it cant be that bad eh? :-)

HedgeWizard
Knight

Post by HedgeWizard » Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:22 pm

We should count our blessings indeed :-).

Don’t sweat about the other books. They are great but the core rule book has everything you need, it’s a great package in and of itself!

bonefish

Post by bonefish » Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:26 pm

Yes indeed Hedge.

Yeah the Core does a great job on its own to get going. I love the fact it doesn't force you to buy other books, but they still seriously enhance it.
The Companion is the ONE book everyone suggests is the next best to get, so that's on my radar :-)
Should that be Book-dar? :-)