Converting the FF books to AFF2 adventures

aduial

Converting the FF books to AFF2 adventures

Post by aduial » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:58 am

So, I'm thinking about adventures for AFF2. I like to have some ready-made material at the beginning of a campaign. I don't have the previous edition of AFF, so the adventure material in those books (if any) isn't available to me.

So i'm thinking about converting the gamebooks into multi-player scenarios. (Spoiler alert: The contents of the game books may well be discussed in this thread!)

Citadel of Chaos
This book will probably be my first conversion. It's always been one of my favourites, and the assassination plot works as well for a small group of warriors as it does for a single person. Infiltrating craggen rock in a real rpg (as opposed to a gamebook) offers great opportunities both for combat, traps and a lot more social play than you would get out of your average dungeon. Of course, players can run around and explore the citadel a lot more freely than they could in the book.

For this book, someone has also made a map of the citadel (available somewhere on the internet, can't remember where I found it) which will be invaluable as an aid in laying out the adventure.

So, is anyone else planning on converting any of the books to adventures?

Skywalker

Post by Skywalker » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:09 pm

I am nearing the completion of House of Hell. I also used a map made by a fan reading through original FF book too.

I have been cutting and pasting sections out of a scan of the original book and grouping them by location. Its a long task but it gives me a good description of the location and options available.

I will also be making pregen PCs and prop cards for all items and NPCs using Strange Eons (makes Arkham Horror cards).

FWIW there are some FF books already turned into RPG scenarios by Myriador. They aren't great and they use D20 but the hard work is done and conversion to AFF2 is easy.

EDIT: And I am done. Its some 84 pages in Word but having all the sections together in location will make turning it into a RPG scenario much easier.

Slloyd14
Site Admin

Post by Slloyd14 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:10 pm

This sounds like a great idea. I'm wondering if most of the old Fighting Fantasy books could be rewritten using the AFF rules as well as being made into AFF RPGs.
http://virtualfantasies.blogspot.com/

A blog about writing gamebooks. My musings on how to write a gamebook and what makes a good gamebook.

Dr Magister

Post by Dr Magister » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:43 am

A load of FF maps, including Citadel of Chaos are here:

http://outspaced.fightingfantasy.org/PD ... n_Maps.pdf

I'm thinking of running Warlock of Firetop Mountain as a group game as a nice simple dungeon-crawl.

torus
Knight

Post by torus » Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:04 pm

Slloyd14 wrote:This sounds like a great idea. I'm wondering if most of the old Fighting Fantasy books could be rewritten using the AFF rules as well as being made into AFF RPGs.
In most cases all you'd have to do would be to provide extra weapon/armour stats for monsters not in OOTP.

I remember the Middle-earth Quest books from ICE had guidelines for playing them using MERP, which was fun.

aduial

Post by aduial » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:30 pm

Dr Magister wrote:A load of FF maps, including Citadel of Chaos are here:

I'm thinking of running Warlock of Firetop Mountain as a group game as a nice simple dungeon-crawl.
Great resource!

The map I'm using for my CoC->AFF2 conversion is this one:
http://www.fightingfantasy.com/images/m ... %20Map.pdf
The actual layout of it gives it extra value for the GM. And it's nice to look at.

torus
Knight

Post by torus » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:37 pm

aduial wrote:

Great resource!

The actual layout of it gives it extra value for the GM. And it's nice to look at.
That is an excellent map.

One thing I would say about converting FF books to AFF adventures is that you would need to change the 'one true path' aspect of some of them. Realistically, people aren't going to want to go back and restart just because they didn't go to the right room and open the right chest on their way throuh the dungeon..

bottg
Site Admin

Post by bottg » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:06 pm

torus wrote:
aduial wrote:

Great resource!

That is an excellent map.

One thing I would say about converting FF books to AFF adventures is that you would need to change the 'one true path' aspect of some of them. Realistically, people aren't going to want to go back and restart just because they didn't go to the right room and open the right chest on their way throuh the dungeon..
Which of course is easy to do! Forest of Doom is a classic example where if you turn right at the first junction, you cannot complete the book. However, many of the books have paragraphs that tell you that you reach a junction but decide to turn right or whatever. This gives leeway to feed back into the "true path"

torus
Knight

Post by torus » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:13 pm

parkusuk wrote:
Which of course is easy to do! Forest of Doom is a classic example where if you turn right at the first junction, you cannot complete the book. However, many of the books have paragraphs that tell you that you reach a junction but decide to turn right or whatever. This gives leeway to feed back into the "true path"
I agree. And of course in an AFF adventure there's nothing stopping you going back a few rooms/streets/whatever. Citadel of Chaos is a good example, as in the book you can only go 'forwards' from the banqueting hall, and can't try any of the other doors - like the one to the library.

torus
Knight

Post by torus » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:20 pm

Actually I did once convert Rings of Kether to an rpg adventure. I think I used Traveller as the system, but I remember the adventure worked really well.

Hmm.. That gets me thinking about a SciFi extension to AFF..!

aduial

Post by aduial » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:55 am

torus wrote:
parkusuk wrote:
I agree. And of course in an AFF adventure there's nothing stopping you going back a few rooms/streets/whatever. Citadel of Chaos is a good example, as in the book you can only go 'forwards' from the banqueting hall, and can't try any of the other doors - like the one to the library.
Indeed, and that is what makes the book quite hard to beat. That isn't a problem with a game book, as some of the point is playing it again and again until you get it right. But with an AFF adventure, you've gone through the trouble of gathering players, buying refreshments, sending significant others out of town and so on. Making it so that you can't complete the mission if you take a left turn before meeting the butler would be wholly unacceptable with such an RPG. So yes, you have to avoid the "one true path"-aspect. But that really happens automatically, as soon as a player says "we go back".

That said, having an actual map - such as the one I linked to for CoC - helps a lot with remembering how things connect to one another when the players DO go back. (Or, god forbid, decide to blow down a wall...)

I'm still expecting my players to just use magic to blow up the entire citadel...

torus
Knight

Post by torus » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:51 am

aduial wrote:
I'm still expecting my players to just use magic to blow up the entire citadel...
Sounds fun! But the citadel was built with sorcery. I think they'll be disappointed..

I would give them a lead, maybe they have been told of someone inside the citadel who might help them. But first they have to find that person - and perhaps that's not so easy!

In the Trolltooth Wars, Zharradan Marr sent an agent to persuade the Ganjees to abandon Dire.

Skywalker

Post by Skywalker » Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:48 am

The same applies for the Hosue of Hell. The book is a deadly masterpiece of structure. Though it feels like you can go anywhere in the house (not just in one direction like most FF books) it will still be nice to have the freedom for the PCs to try different ways to make it around the maze-like interior.

Skywalker

Post by Skywalker » Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:50 am

torus wrote:Actually I did once convert Rings of Kether to an rpg adventure. I think I used Traveller as the system, but I remember the adventure worked really well.

Hmm.. That gets me thinking about a SciFi extension to AFF..!
Doing House of Hell has mademe think of a Modern Horror extension to AFF too :)

aduial

Post by aduial » Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:47 pm

Well, my CoC-conversion is now done, and I'll be guiding 4 players (who have never even played the gamebook, I think) through it tomorrow.

Wish me (or them) luck!