Homebrew Talents + Spells

AeonThePhoenix

Homebrew Talents + Spells

Post by AeonThePhoenix » Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:04 am

I've created some homebrew stuff for my own AFF roleplay, but I want to get an opinion on how balanced they are first, and if nobody minds, some ideas or suggestions on how I can fix them if they aren't.

Homebrew Talents

Adept: This talent may only be chosen by a starting Hero, allowing them to chose a second Wizardry, Sorcery or Priestly Magic Special Skill. The Hero must sink at least 2 points into each Special Skill, and due to the time required to be devoted to learning both Magical disciplines, may not initially add any points to their SKILL characteristic to represent this.

With this talent, I'm trying to find a way to impose an adequate restriction that fairly reflects the fact that the caster won't have had much free time to develop other special skills or fighting prowess due to the amount of devotion and studying they'd have been required to do.

Favored Companion: A Hero with this Talent may take any creature of up to medium size as a companion. Like with the Familiar Talent, the creature will be fanatically loyal to the Hero, sharing a greater emotional and mental bond with them than a Familiar. Whilst this companion will not have any special abilities, it should be considered of normal intelligence, and can follow orders. Unlike a familiar, the creature will be able to fight alongside the Hero in battle should the Hero command it to. However, if the Hero loses this familiar or they are killed, the Hero will suffer a -1 penalty to all stats and rolls until they are either re-united or the Favored Companion Talent is purchased again, replacing the original Talent.

With this talent, I wanted the option of having bigger creatures or more exotic ones as companions (wolf for a druid as an example), then their loss having a psychological effect on their owner due to the shared bond as opposed to Familiars which seem to be pretty much disposable.

Mystical Defense: A Hero must have at least 1 point in the Wizardry or Sorcery Special Skills in order to choose this Talent. The Hero's Magic projects a defensive aura around them, protecting them from harm. Whenever the Hero is struck and damage is inflicted, 1 Magic Point is automatically spent to decrease the damage taken.

This Talent was designed to give wizards a little more longevity in combat situations, though I was unsure whether to make it reducing the actual damage by 1, or the damage roll by 1. The offset is obviously running out of magic to rely on in combat. To combat potion quaffers, I impose a restriction of a Hero only able to have one Potion at any one time.

Mystical Offense: A Hero must have at least 1 point in the Wizardry or Sorcery Special Skills in order to choose this Talent. The Hero can channel their Magic through a weapon of choice or their hands, enabling them to inflict higher amounts of damage against whatever they strike. Unlike Mystic Armor, this Talent is not always active, and will drain 2 Magic Points per declared use.

Again, I didn't know whether to physically add the damage or just add to the roll. It was inspired by Ocarina of Time with Link's magic-boosted Spin Attack.

Sidekick: A Hero with this Talent may employ another member of his race to serve as a Sidekick. A Sidekick is created in a similar manner to a Hero character, except without the additional 7 points to add to characteristics, no extra Talent, and they may only pick one Special Skill at 2 and two Special Skills at 1. If the Sidekick and the Hero share any Special Skills, you may combine their efforts at the cost of both suffering any penalties from failure.

This talent was more designed in mind for Solo Heroes, but could be adapted for a Wizard's Apprentice, Bodyguard or similar. I didn't know whether to decide that the Sidekick needed full Experience, only required half as much as normal heroes or just "leveled" with the main Hero.

Homebrew Spells

Finesse (2): Drawing upon magical energies directly from the ether, the caster must decide how much damage they are aiming to do with the spell from the off, whether they want enough to knock the caster unconscious, mortally wound them, or just to mildly hurt them. For each point of damage needed, this spell costs an additional Magic Point. Roll 1D6 each Combat Round until you reach the required total. An additional spellcasting check must be made each round, with a -1 penalty applied for each successive round. If the additional spellcasting check fails, the magic is judged to have gone wildly out of control and exploded outwards, doing half the current total so far as damage to the caster.

FIN (2): Like the Finesse Wizardry Spell, this draws on the lifeforce of the caster to build up magical energy with which to attack a target. For each point of damage needed, this spell costs an additional Stamina point. Roll 1D6 each Combat Round until you reach the required total. An additional spellcasting check must be made each round, with a -1 penalty applied for each successive round. If the additional spellcasting check fails, the magic is judged to have gone wildly out of control and exploded outwards, doing half the current total so far as damage to the caster.

These spells definitely need tweaking... the idea came about because of the random damage rolls of spells like Firebolt, Lightning, HOT and ZAP where I wanted a way to inflict a set amount of damage. The many checks were because I liked the idea of channeling raw chaotic magic, signified by the 1D6 potentially meaning you could get all the power you needed in a few rounds or many, with biting off more than you can chew leading to what you have blowing up in your face.

RossN

Post by RossN » Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:33 am

Pretty interesting stuff. I like Favored Companion and Sidekick, though I might tweak the latter.

Maybe a Lackeys Talent allowing the character to recruit 1d6 unskilled 'normal' humans?

AeonThePhoenix

Post by AeonThePhoenix » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:53 am

Pretty interesting stuff. I like Favored Companion and Sidekick, though I might tweak the latter.
Yes, Sidekick definitely needs some sort of tweaking... It's hard trying to balance it so that you have some tangible benefit without making the player just think "Pffft, a second Hero character would be better than this." That's why I thought of the Special Skill points and perhaps combining so together you have a +3/+4 to work with, but then do you allow for a Sidekick to be levelled up or not? Technically that's a point that needs considering for Favored Companion down the line too.
Maybe a Lackeys Talent allowing the character to recruit 1d6 unskilled 'normal' humans?
That's not a bad idea, though the Sidekick initially isn't removed that far from normal. I can see it having an immediate use for an evil party though, giving you a collective army of minions off the bat. Perhaps combine/replace it with a Lackey Special Skill or something to allow for gathering stronger/more minions? Or have the talent stack or increase in some manner?

Will go away and think on that one... very good ideas are forming.

Slloyd14
Site Admin

Re: Homebrew Talents + Spells

Post by Slloyd14 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:14 pm

Like the talents. Adept might be a bit strong as the rules only allow an additional magical style to be taken once you have 6 points in the original one. You could be a wizard or sorcerer with the Templar ability. Maybe there can be a talent that lets you cast one wizard or sorcerer spell once a day.
http://virtualfantasies.blogspot.com/

A blog about writing gamebooks. My musings on how to write a gamebook and what makes a good gamebook.