Some Questions

Advanced Fighting Fantasy discussion
MountainPeak11
Adventurer
Posts: 159
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:13 pm
Location: Royal Lendle

Re: Some Questions

Post by MountainPeak11 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:28 pm

Kheldar wrote:
MountainPeak11 wrote: I've devised a more detailed xp system which makes it take a while to reach 200 xp. And even then it's not like all the players are going to scream "OMGOMGOMG I NEED A NEW TALENT". They're more than likely going to want to boost their stats or obtain another special skill point.
Can I ask why you did this? I'm asking because I'm not convinced about the game's longevity as far as character creation is concerned.

Skill 7 and you can start with a +2 in a special skill, that's only a 2 point rise until you max out. I know there are a lot of special skills and talents, but still. And that's not to mention if you raise SKILL you're going to max out sooner, because the maximum is reached across the board. It may take more experience points to do so, but the pay off massively overrides the waiting.
Aha... I forgot to mention that my XP table stays pretty close to the 50XP per adventure guideline, but I devised a more detailed way of giving out XP because I like players to think outside the box while adventuring. I try and subtly discourage players just riding along on the main mission, and AFF allows a lot of room for characters to explore and develop themselves. So the more missions/side-quests the players do, the more XP I give out. Also if they go out of their way to do something for the greater good or make the effort to do something rather than letting the DM play a scenario into their lap, I also give out XP.

Kheldar
Posts: 78
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:53 pm

Re: Some Questions

Post by Kheldar » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:45 pm

I really like the idea of using 3d6 instead of 2d6 because heroes get more room for improvement and nothing much changes.

Damage and Armour rolls stay at 1d6.

STAMINA doesn't have to change, and can start at the same base of 8

Is Luck rolled against? If not, that too can stay as it is. If it is rolled against, it has to be increased from a base 8 to a base 12 (to keep the scale correct). This means heroes will be 'luckier', but that's ok and fits with the heroic play style - heroes should be lucky and be able to pull off the amazing now and then.

Is there anything I've missed?

User avatar
bottg
Site Admin
Posts: 1365
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2003 10:53 pm

Re: Some Questions

Post by bottg » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:53 pm

With 3D6 you will find combat somewhat more deadly and unpredictable than with 2D6. A SKILL 5 Goblin will have a much better chance of defeating a SKILL 7, Sword 2 warrior because of the increase in possible outcomes, and so you would need to reduce the number of enemies. This really goes for all opposed rolls.

Kheldar
Posts: 78
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:53 pm

Re: Some Questions

Post by Kheldar » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:56 pm

parkusuk wrote:With 3D6 you will find combat somewhat more deadly and unpredictable than with 2D6. A SKILL 5 Goblin will have a much better chance of defeating a SKILL 7, Sword 2 warrior because of the increase in possible outcomes, and so you would need to reduce the number of enemies. This really goes for all opposed rolls.
Because of the bell curve and all that?

That's one major issue I'd forgotten about; I'd have to tweak all the monsters' SKILL scores :shock:

User avatar
bottg
Site Admin
Posts: 1365
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2003 10:53 pm

Re: Some Questions

Post by bottg » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:11 pm

Thats it. A 1 point advantage on a 2D6 bell curve can be fairly significant, but on a 3D6 curve is fairly insignificant. It just means that fewer monsters could be deadly to a party, but also that heroes can punch above their weight more easily. So you may want to use big groups of weak monsters with caution, but also boost the SKILL of top end monsters a bit.

Kheldar
Posts: 78
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:53 pm

Re: Some Questions

Post by Kheldar » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:30 am

parkusuk wrote:Thats it. A 1 point advantage on a 2D6 bell curve can be fairly significant, but on a 3D6 curve is fairly insignificant. It just means that fewer monsters could be deadly to a party, but also that heroes can punch above their weight more easily. So you may want to use big groups of weak monsters with caution, but also boost the SKILL of top end monsters a bit.
Are you basing this solely on the bell curve, i.e. more random rolls within the 3d6 range?

Goblin SKILL 5 = 27.78% chance of success on a 2d6

Goblin SKILL 8 = 25.93% chance of success on a 3d6

You are saying, although there's not much difference - the bigger range means more 'swingy' results, and thus more chance of hitting/missing?

MountainPeak11
Adventurer
Posts: 159
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:13 pm
Location: Royal Lendle

Re: Some Questions

Post by MountainPeak11 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:37 am

Hmm interesting... that'd be pretty good to use for "higher-level" adventures. :)

User avatar
d6&d6
Adventurer
Posts: 149
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:19 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: Some Questions

Post by d6&d6 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:56 pm

3d6...

Sounds like GURPS AFF :wink:

2d6 does pretty well around here.
Tentez votre chance...

Kheldar
Posts: 78
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:53 pm

Re: Some Questions

Post by Kheldar » Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:28 pm

MountainPeak11 wrote:Hmm interesting... that'd be pretty good to use for "higher-level" adventures. :)
That's the reason for looking at 3d6

2d6 is all well and good, and is easy to implement, but when it comes to long term campaign, it gets outstripped pretty quickly by any 'stats' your character has. Same issues with Barbarians of Lemuria, which is why they are consdiering implementing a 2d10 skill system as an option, in the next revision.

For me, Talents don't do enough to counter the issue. That helps with horizontal style character improvement, but not vertical style character improvement. It's the reason Savage Worlds is huge on its Edges - because the d4 to d12 dice step spread is too limiting.

Anyway, it seems relatively easy to use 3d6 instead - or even 2d10.

User avatar
torus
Knight
Posts: 322
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:18 pm

Re: Some Questions

Post by torus » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:12 pm

A reasonable approximation to a more fine-grained system might be obtained by using 2d12 and simply doubling system stats like skills, modifiers, target numbers etc. Certainly not exact, but reasonably close I think, and much simpler than trying to remap to a 3d6 or d20 system.

Kheldar
Posts: 78
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:53 pm

Re: Some Questions

Post by Kheldar » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:46 pm

torus wrote:A reasonable approximation to a more fine-grained system might be obtained by using 2d12 and simply doubling system stats like skills, modifiers, target numbers etc. Certainly not exact, but reasonably close I think, and much simpler than trying to remap to a 3d6 or d20 system.
Interesting point

I'm off to tinker :D

Kheldar
Posts: 78
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:53 pm

Re: Some Questions

Post by Kheldar » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:05 pm

Is Luck rolled against, or just spent?

User avatar
torus
Knight
Posts: 322
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:18 pm

Re: Some Questions

Post by torus » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:03 pm

Kheldar wrote:Is Luck rolled against, or just spent?
Both! Although some people use the house rule that LUCK is only depleted on a successful test.

Nuvole!
Archmage
Posts: 1141
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:06 pm

Re: Some Questions

Post by Nuvole! » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:57 pm

I think your problem is a false problem: if you have an opposed test, doesn't matter how high is the characters' SKILL (+ special skills) as long as the foes have a comparable one, while if the test is not opposed (jumping across a chasm, knocking down a door, etc.) you just need to apply penalties for jumping a large chasm or knocking down an extra reinforced door... while you get more experience you also get more challenging adventures - it's normal! If the adventures in your hands are not challenging enough, just change them 8)
Just make sure you drive the game and don't let the rules mechanics (that are extremely simple for good reasons) drive you.
I'm the real Nowhere man, sitting in my Nowhere land, making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.

Kheldar
Posts: 78
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:53 pm

Re: Some Questions

Post by Kheldar » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:54 am

Hullalla wrote:I think your problem is a false problem: if you have an opposed test, doesn't matter how high is the characters' SKILL (+ special skills) as long as the foes have a comparable one, while if the test is not opposed (jumping across a chasm, knocking down a door, etc.) you just need to apply penalties for jumping a large chasm or knocking down an extra reinforced door... while you get more experience you also get more challenging adventures - it's normal! If the adventures in your hands are not challenging enough, just change them 8)
Just make sure you drive the game and don't let the rules mechanics (that are extremely simple for good reasons) drive you.
Very true. I hadn't looked at it that way

Post Reply