Some Questions

Advanced Fighting Fantasy discussion
d6&d6
Adventurer

Re: Some Questions

Post by d6&d6 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:01 pm

d6&d6 wrote:The better the heroes, the greater the challenges. Even with high scores, heroes can be challenged with against the odds difficulties by reducing their skill if they do something near impossible.
I agree with Hulalla and that was a comment I wrote on the first page of that thread!
Tentez votre chance...

Kheldar

Post by Kheldar » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:48 pm

And I assume rolling a 12 is an auto fail?

Nuvole!
Archmage

Post by Nuvole! » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:14 pm

Yep
I'm the real Nowhere man, sitting in my Nowhere land, making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.

torus
Knight

Post by torus » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:53 am

Personally I would feel uncomfortable with PCs whose base stats were far outside the normal range (e.g. SKILL more than 10, given that SKILL 11 confers a 97% chance of success at normal tasks without any training or experience). I guess what I'm saying is I'm not much into power gaming. But obviously everyone is free to play their own way.

Kheldar

Post by Kheldar » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:51 am

torus wrote:Personally I would feel uncomfortable with PCs whose base stats were far outside the normal range (e.g. SKILL more than 10, given that SKILL 11 confers a 97% chance of success at normal tasks without any training or experience). I guess what I'm saying is I'm not much into power gaming. But obviously everyone is free to play their own way.
I'm not in to power gaming either - my issue is that pcs seem to reach a point where they can't fail at average tasks much too soon. In some cases after taking just two increases.

Which ironically, means they must start offquite powerful to begin with.

Nuvole!
Archmage

Post by Nuvole! » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:13 pm

torus wrote:Personally I would feel uncomfortable with PCs whose base stats were far outside the normal range (e.g. SKILL more than 10, given that SKILL 11 confers a 97% chance of success at normal tasks
When they arrive at having a 97% chance at normal tasks, give them hard tasks that have a -4 penalty: if jumping across a 3 meters chasm is a normal task for you, then make it 6 meters wide, so their chances will go down accordingly.
WRT foes, just make them find enemies with similar SKILL and everything will be balanced again.

Obviously a superhero will be very successful if pitched against an untrained peasant / humanoid or performing normal tasks.
I'm the real Nowhere man, sitting in my Nowhere land, making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.

bottg
Site Admin

Post by bottg » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:17 pm

Also, you could use the alternative unopposed rule whereby they have to beat a static target number. Raise that by a point or two, and you make it slightly more difficult from the start and have more "expansion room"

Kheldar

Post by Kheldar » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:21 pm

parkusuk wrote:Also, you could use the alternative unopposed rule whereby they have to beat a static target number. Raise that by a point or two, and you make it slightly more difficult from the start and have more "expansion room"
So there's an option to use equal to or higher target numbers instead of equal to or lower?

bottg
Site Admin

Post by bottg » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:25 pm

There is. In the FF gamebooks, Opposed tests are roll and add, highest wins, and Unopposed tests are roll under. During the playtests, some people wondered about having a unified mechanic, whereby you just roll and add and beat the static target number.

So that is an option in the book. Increasing that by 1 or 2 can actually have a sizeable effect, and also give you the scope to allow up to 7 in a special skill (2 points being offset by the increased Target)

Kheldar

Post by Kheldar » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:01 pm

parkusuk wrote:There is. In the FF gamebooks, Opposed tests are roll and add, highest wins, and Unopposed tests are roll under. During the playtests, some people wondered about having a unified mechanic, whereby you just roll and add and beat the static target number.

So that is an option in the book. Increasing that by 1 or 2 can actually have a sizeable effect, and also give you the scope to allow up to 7 in a special skill (2 points being offset by the increased Target)
Now that puts a whole new complexion on things :)

Kheldar

Post by Kheldar » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:17 pm

parkusuk wrote:There is. In the FF gamebooks, Opposed tests are roll and add, highest wins, and Unopposed tests are roll under. During the playtests, some people wondered about having a unified mechanic, whereby you just roll and add and beat the static target number.

What with skills being made up of SKILL and Special Skills, what is the Target Number range?

MountainPeak11
Adventurer

Post by MountainPeak11 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:01 pm

Kheldar wrote:

What with skills being made up of SKILL and Special Skills, what is the Target Number range?
The DM decides the target number. Perhaps 10 could be very easy while 30 could be nearly impossible?

bottg
Site Admin

Post by bottg » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:14 pm

Kheldar wrote:

On p156, the "official" suggested target number is 15, such that a SKILL 7 character with 1 in a special skill needs a roll of 7 to succeed (i.. more than half the time)

Increasing this by 1 reduces the chance to 41%, and increasing by 2 reduces it to 27%.

And this is for "standard" difficulty tests. Once a hero gets to 12 SKILL and 5 in special skills, they are the equivalent of lvl 20 D&D characters and so should be succeeding at "standard" actions all the time anyway

Kheldar

Post by Kheldar » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:20 pm

This is brilliant, just what I wanted to hear

This definitely gives more 'wiggle' room when increasing a hero's variables

Thanks all

Kheldar

Post by Kheldar » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:42 pm

What do you think about the following house rule?

I created it to try and alleviate the problem (as I see it YMMV) with characters either a) not being able to reach a certain difficulty because they haven’t enough skill or b) having such a high skill that they automatically succeed at half the tasks they attempt. I know there’s a ruling where a 2 is an auto failure, and I assume (I don’t have the books) there’s a rule wherein a 12 is an auto success (given the right circumstances), but I found that too rigid.

If you roll a natural 12 or 2, you roll a third d6. This dice is known as the Fate Dice, and it only becomes relevant if you roll a natural 12 or a natural 2.

If you rolled a natural 12, you re-roll the fate dice and add the result to 12. If this dice roll is also a natural 6, you re-roll that and add it to the current total. Keep re-rolling and adding if you keep getting natural 6s.

If you rolled a natural 2, you re-roll the fate dice and deduct the result from 2. If this dice roll is also a natural 6, you re-roll that and deduct it that from the current total. Keep re-rolling and deducting if you keep getting natural 6s.

Example a) Jorran needs to keep his balance whilst walking over a 6” wide log in the pouring rain and gale force winds. The target number is currently set at 22 (for argument’s sake). Jorran has a SKILL of 7. As things are, he cannot succeed (12 + 7 = 19). The 3d6 are rolled, and the two standard dice come up a 12, because it’s a 12, we have to see what the fate dice scored (and add that to 12). Luck is with Jorran, the fate dice is a 3 - giving a final total of 22. Jorran barely makes it across

Example b) Jorran has become a masterful climber, and has a Climb special skill of +4 and his SKILL has increased to an impressive 9). He boasts that he can climb the castle wall with his eyes closed (not literally, but he likes to be extravagant). The climb has a target number of 15, so in this instance, he can’t really fail (2 + 4 + 9 = 15). The 3d6 are rolled, and the two standard dice come up a 2, because it is a 2, we have to see what the fate dice scored (and deduct that from 2). The fate dice is a 4 – giving a final total of 11. Jorran falls in a very undignified heap at the feet of his laughing companions

It looks clunky, but it’s really just rolling an extra d6, and adding its value if the dice roll is a 12 or deducting its value if the dice roll is a natural 2

Theoretically, this rule enables SKILL and Special Skills to be improved to any maximum, and they won’t outstrip the 2d6 dice roll
Last edited by Kheldar on Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.