AFF2 horror / lovecraftian version

Advanced Fighting Fantasy discussion
Bronn

Re: AFF2 horror / lovecraftian version

Post by Bronn » Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:29 pm

darksoul wrote:Hi Bronn.

Just a suggestion, I'm not sure I would replace luck. Since, I've started replaying AFF lately, I've found that luck is a really important stat. It was very underappreciated when I used to play the books or the RPG. When your character didn't have a high skill, using luck rolls would be huge help in combat, especially against tougher opponents. It's also am important stat since it's used to avoid spells. I like the gaining derangements part.
Thanks. You're quite right about Luck. :oops:

As for the rest of it, I'd probably redo the increased damage idea -- the system scales nicely enough as it is with fewer points available during character creation.

So. Take two!

-- Initial stats are Skill 4, Stamina 6, Luck 8

-- You have 3 points to spend as per the rules, with no stat benefiting from more than two points.

I'd also probably put a hard cap of 6 on Skill, moving development over to special skills wholesale.

Nuvole!
Archmage

Post by Nuvole! » Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:58 pm

Robb 1 wrote:The original FF book House of Hell and Ian Livingston's Blood of the Zombies ( with some adjustment as it uses a very stripped down version of the FF rules are also good points of reference for a present day or 1920s Horror or Lovecraftian style setting. Dread Cthulu in an AFF setting I can feel my Sanity and Fear traits slipping away already :wink:

For a more fantasy horror setting beneath Nightmare Castle could be used as a good starting block :D
I just found that here are some lovecraftian themes also in Slaves of the Abyss...
I'm the real Nowhere man, sitting in my Nowhere land, making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.

Slloyd14
Site Admin

Post by Slloyd14 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:33 pm

Halloween bump
http://virtualfantasies.blogspot.com/

A blog about writing gamebooks. My musings on how to write a gamebook and what makes a good gamebook.

Nuvole!
Archmage

Post by Nuvole! » Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:32 am

I am actually running a conversion of Bodies in the Docks with an ad hoc set of lovecraftian AFF house rules: https://www.rpol.net/game.cgi?gi=74000&date=1572465472
Overall, I'm trying to keep it simple.
I'm the real Nowhere man, sitting in my Nowhere land, making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.

LordArioch
Adventurer

Post by LordArioch » Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:55 pm

This is the first time I've heard of Forbidden Gateway. Shame that there are few copies, and they go for obscene amounts of cash. :cry:

Nuvole!
Archmage

Post by Nuvole! » Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:49 am

be patient and you'll find cheap options as well.