Easier when opposed than unopposed

Advanced Fighting Fantasy discussion
Purplebroccoli

Easier when opposed than unopposed

Post by Purplebroccoli » Mon May 12, 2014 6:33 pm

I lead off by saying I did a forum search for all entries of "opposed" before posting this, and could not find the answer I was looking for. I'm curious about your views as GMs.

Consider this situation. A character with SKILL 7 wants to climb a tree to get out of the way of a mudslide. Unopposed, roll high > 14. Second situation, a character with SKILL 7 want to climb a tree to escape a goblin (SK 5) trying to hack him up with a sword. Opposed roll, 2d6+7 > 2d6+5. The odds of success a greater when under attack.

This link to anydice shows the probabilities.
http://anydice.com/program/3bc8

Let's say the character wins the roll versus the goblin, does he make it up the tree? Or did he simply succeed in avoiding the goblin strike in his attempt to climb? Would you require that he rolled > 14 to scale the tree?

Nuvole!
Archmage

Re: Easier when opposed than unopposed

Post by Nuvole! » Mon May 12, 2014 7:21 pm

Why does he need to roll 14 in the unopposed roll?
I'm the real Nowhere man, sitting in my Nowhere land, making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.

Mr Nibbs
Knight

Post by Mr Nibbs » Mon May 12, 2014 8:45 pm

It is probably not a good idea to try climbing a tree while being attacked from the rear, and the goblin should get +4 for that. It is not reasonable to assume the climber can hold a weapon, defend themselves and climb at the same time, which implies they have no defence at all.

Also there is a -2 for being under attack while climbing, a negative mod for wearing armour and another for branches (p49). If the climbing test is failed, the climber "cannot move for that combat round and must test again on the next round."

From the fumble table, "Hero leaves himself open. Opponent inflicts double damage with this attack. I would certainly apply that to someone trying to climb a tree while being hit. Auto hit, auto double damage for the goblin seems sensible.

Purplebroccoli

Post by Purplebroccoli » Tue May 13, 2014 7:56 am

Good points. I'll make better use of the charts in the future. Thank you Nibbs.

Mr Nibbs
Knight

Post by Mr Nibbs » Tue May 13, 2014 10:56 pm

Purplebroccoli wrote:Good points. I'll make better use of the charts in the future. Thank you Nibbs.

You're very welcome. You gotta make 'em work for it! :D