Site Admin

Warlock of Firetop Mountain Adventure

Post by bottg » Fri May 30, 2014 1:47 pm

Just had a delivery all ready for UKGamesExpo this weekend:

Slloyd14
Site Admin

Re: Warlock of Firetop Mountain Adventure

Post by Slloyd14 » Fri May 30, 2014 4:39 pm

When's it going to be available at the shop?
http://virtualfantasies.blogspot.com/

A blog about writing gamebooks. My musings on how to write a gamebook and what makes a good gamebook.

bottg
Site Admin

Post by bottg » Fri May 30, 2014 6:11 pm

Slloyd14 wrote:When's it going to be available at the shop?
If i have any unsold after the weekend i will add it immediately, otherwise probably by the end of next week as there are a couple of very minor tweaks i want to make to the cover etc

Pożeracz zwłok

Post by Pożeracz zwłok » Fri May 30, 2014 7:25 pm

Fine. I must have it. Is it written in paragraphs, like the old one?

...and, like usually: what about the Great Release (three books combined in one)?
Death to one of dying mercenaries:
"I'm going to cast two 6-sided dice. If the score be higher than 12 you're safe"

Nuvole!
Archmage

Post by Nuvole! » Fri May 30, 2014 10:56 pm

Best of luck for this publication!
I'm the real Nowhere man, sitting in my Nowhere land, making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.

torus
Knight

Post by torus » Sat May 31, 2014 2:36 pm

Great news - congrats.

Have to confess though, I'm somewhat unsure as to how to use this, since surely many or even most players will have been through WoFM once or twice before and will know the secrets - e.g. where to find the keys & how to defeat the Warlock. Are there any suggestions for how to use the module in this case, or ideas on alternative inhabitants/configurations of the dungeon?

Related to that, I don't really understand the concern not to add any lore to the FF world. Isn't that the whole point of writing an RPG supplement? Not wanting to be negative, but it seems to me like AFF will miss a big opportunity if that continues to be the aim. One of the reasons why the Blacksand module was great is that it didn't just rehash the old material. The source material is great but far from sacred; in fact I'd say what it really needs is coherent expansion and tying together.

Bronn

Post by Bronn » Sat May 31, 2014 3:40 pm

YES!

Great news, I've been looking forward to this for a while now. :D

Bronn

Post by Bronn » Sat May 31, 2014 3:54 pm

torus wrote:Great news - congrats.

Have to confess though, I'm somewhat unsure as to how to use this, since surely many or even most players will have been through WoFM once or twice before and will know the secrets - e.g. where to find the keys & how to defeat the Warlock. Are there any suggestions for how to use the module in this case, or ideas on alternative inhabitants/configurations of the dungeon?

Related to that, I don't really understand the concern not to add any lore to the FF world. Isn't that the whole point of writing an RPG supplement? Not wanting to be negative, but it seems to me like AFF will miss a big opportunity if that continues to be the aim. One of the reasons why the Blacksand module was great is that it didn't just rehash the old material. The source material is great but far from sacred; in fact I'd say what it really needs is coherent expansion and tying together.
The Blacksand supplement was, as you rightly say, an expansion. There's also a Salamonis book in the works, which, as far as I'm aware, consists of wholly original content.

More broadly, I think Graham's doing a great job balancing the classics with new material. It must be difficult; on the one hand you've all those wonderfully established locations that are foundational to Titan's identity. On the other you've fans that fondly remember them, sometimes in encyclopaedic detail! Deviate too much from the canon and they become annoyed. Replicate old material exactly and they clamour for variations or something completely different. I think there's room in AFF for old, new, fresh and reworked; and thus far that's exactly what we've been given.

d6&d6
Adventurer

Post by d6&d6 » Sat May 31, 2014 9:33 pm

Want want want :D
Tentez votre chance...

Mr Nibbs
Knight

Post by Mr Nibbs » Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:29 am

Bronn wrote:On the other you've fans that fondly remember them, sometimes in encyclopaedic detail! Deviate too much from the canon and they become annoyed.
Some of those fans never went away and are now AFF authors. I think there is a general feeling that there needs to be a canon so everyone has a common reference. Incomplete and inconsistent material is part of the problem.

For encyclopaedic detail, there's this...
http://fightingfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Titan_%28world%29

Bronn

Post by Bronn » Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:38 am

Mr Nibbs wrote:
Bronn wrote:On the other you've fans that fondly remember them, sometimes in encyclopaedic detail! Deviate too much from the canon and they become annoyed.
Some of those fans never went away and are now AFF authors. I think there is a general feeling that there needs to be a canon so everyone has a common reference. Incomplete and inconsistent material is part of the problem.

For encyclopaedic detail, there's this...
http://fightingfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Titan_%28world%29
It wasn't my intention to casually lump people together like my earlier post suggests. I think there's real value in that project, and appreciate the hard work you and others have put into it. :)

torus
Knight

Post by torus » Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:42 pm

I hear what you're saying but I think it's a false dichotomy. The aim should be to maintain consistency with the canon while also expanding and fleshing-out the setting. Blacksand did that (though could have gone even further); I think the Crown of Kings was less successful because it hewed too strictly to the source material. In the case of Firetop Mountain, or any similar location, I see no reason not to add more details about the surrounding lands & settlements, additional denizens and NPCs, even additional dungeon levels. What happened after the Warlock left, for example?

Obviously I haven't seen the book yet so no idea what's inside, but am looking forward to it.

I hardly need add that I also am a big fan of what Arion Games have done with AFF. I've supported it elsewhere and have gotten pretty much everything that has been released and will continue to do so. All the more reason to offer some constructive criticism, it seems to me.

Bronn

Post by Bronn » Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:35 pm

torus wrote:I hear what you're saying but I think it's a false dichotomy. The aim should be to maintain consistency with the canon while also expanding and fleshing-out the setting. Blacksand did that (though could have gone even further); I think the Crown of Kings was less successful because it hewed too strictly to the source material. In the case of Firetop Mountain, or any similar location, I see no reason not to add more details about the surrounding lands & settlements, additional denizens and NPCs, even additional dungeon levels. What happened after the Warlock left, for example?

Obviously I haven't seen the book yet so no idea what's inside, but am looking forward to it.

I hardly need add that I also am a big fan of what Arion Games have done with AFF. I've supported it elsewhere and have gotten pretty much everything that has been released and will continue to do so. All the more reason to offer some constructive criticism, it seems to me.
Understood. :)

The author gives a rundown of the book below. Well worth a look!

http://trolltooth.blogspot.co.uk/2014/05/hes-back.html

bottg
Site Admin

Post by bottg » Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:26 pm

A few are now available through the webstore. I will then do a re-order!

Mr Nibbs
Knight

Post by Mr Nibbs » Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:50 pm

Bronn wrote:It wasn't my intention to casually lump people together like my earlier post suggests. I think there's real value in that project, and appreciate the hard work you and others have put into it. :)
That description of fans-turned-authors made me laugh :o) I should have added a ;o) as it's a bit tongue in cheek. I've only added my biog and a couple of short notes about the maps to that, so the credit for Titannica isn't mine. It is one of a few useful references I use regularly, so I really appreciate all the best researched info I can get. The ideas and comments here are appreciated, too :o)