Warlock of Firetop Mountain Adventure

Advanced Fighting Fantasy discussion
d6&d6
Adventurer

Re: Warlock of Firetop Mountain Adventure

Post by d6&d6 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:54 pm

parkusuk wrote:A few are now available through the webstore. I will then do a re-order!
Ordered it! :)
Tentez votre chance...

Al Livingstone

Post by Al Livingstone » Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:00 pm

Order submitted!

Robb 1
Knight

Post by Robb 1 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:58 pm

ordered mine Too :D

bottg
Site Admin

Post by bottg » Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:12 pm

They have all been posted!

SurrenderMonkey

Post by SurrenderMonkey » Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:41 am

Will this eventually be sold through US distributors as well?

bottg
Site Admin

Post by bottg » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:43 am

SurrenderMonkey wrote:Will this eventually be sold through US distributors as well?
Eventually, but it will probably be a couple of months at the very least...

Bronn

Post by Bronn » Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:11 pm

Righto, I have my copy and have been greedily devouring it this afternoon. The short version is: I love this book! It's sixty-two pages of iconic FF excellence.

More extensive highlights include:

Cartography & Art: Excellent maps throughout, breaking the dungeon into easily managed sections that correspond with the larger whole. Brett Schofield's depiction of the lands surrounding the mountain is a particularly evocative, stand-out piece. I'd love to see more of this style in future. Then there's the art -- it's Russ Nicolson's original work from the game book, what more is there to say except it's classic stuff, amazingly rendered.

Fidelity to Source: Yes, the bulk of the dungeon adapts and stays faithful to the original gamebook, at least in terms of dungeon layout and monster demographics. It's an iconic location, and the author preserved the encounters, puzzles and traps that made it a classic in the first place.

Expanded Material: That said, there's plenty of extra stuff to enjoy. Brett Schofield has done a clever thing here, inserting material from alternative representations of Firetop Mountain as random encounters. So now we have Shylock the Moneylender, the Hungry Beggar and a 'Lucky Find' imported from the board game; which I love! Previously unnamed NPCs like the Dwarves, Librarian, Maze Master and others are given further detail, making their presence in the mountain seem more explicable. Named characters, like Zagor and Farrago DiMaggio are given brief histories as well. The surrounding landscape is also explored, including the lovely aforementioned map, rumors and encounter tables, as well as brief descriptions of nearby settlements.

Over all, the union of classic and expanded material really makes this feel like a complete product. Firetop Mountain isn't just a solo dungeon anymore, it's a substantial and viable adventure location for AFF parties who fancy tackling the setting and villain that started it all. Bravo.
Last edited by Bronn on Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SurrenderMonkey

Post by SurrenderMonkey » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:35 pm

Bronn wrote:Righto, I have my copy and have been greedily devouring it this afternoon. The short version is: I love this book! It's sixty-two pages of iconic FF excellence...
Thank you Bronn for taking the time to post your comments -- this all sounds very good!!

torus
Knight

Post by torus » Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:05 am

Sounds great - thanks for the review. Looking forward to reading it.

Bronn

Post by Bronn » Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:00 am

Thanks! Hope you both enjoy it, too. :)

jediboyy

Post by jediboyy » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:44 am

Hi Bronn,

Thank you very much for your very generous review! I'm glad you enjoyed it. :D

I tried to strike a balance between staying faithful to the original gamebook and fleshing out the dungeon with expanded material.

99% of the lore in that book is taken straight from existing sources - the original gamebook (Zagor, Farrigo Di Maggio), the Warlock magazine version (Anvil), the boardgame (Shylock the Moneylender, Gambling Halls, etc.), the Myriador D20 adaption (Travis the Boatman, Burgess the Ferryman, Gilford, etc.), the Salamonis Gazette (Haven, Redweed) - heck, even the recent re-release of the gamebook (some of the quickstart adventurers).

The only new info that was added (I think!) was some details on what can be found in Anvil and Haven, and the names/backgrounds of some of the quickstart adventurers (which are based on the minatures from the boardgame).

If this book does well enough I hope that Arion Games will allow me to do another one in the future. I would certainly look into the idea of expanding the scenarios even further. Citadel of Chaos, anyone? Or perhaps a Return to Firetop Mountain?

By the way, that map is my doing, but I'm thrilled you mistook me for the master Mr. Nibbs! :lol:

Cheers,
Brett Schofield aka jediboyy

Bronn

Post by Bronn » Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:18 pm

jediboyy wrote:Hi Bronn,

Thank you very much for your very generous review! I'm glad you enjoyed it. :D

I tried to strike a balance between staying faithful to the original gamebook and fleshing out the dungeon with expanded material.

99% of the lore in that book is taken straight from existing sources - the original gamebook (Zagor, Farrigo Di Maggio), the Warlock magazine version (Anvil), the boardgame (Shylock the Moneylender, Gambling Halls, etc.), the Myriador D20 adaption (Travis the Boatman, Burgess the Ferryman, Gilford, etc.), the Salamonis Gazette (Haven, Redweed) - heck, even the recent re-release of the gamebook (some of the quickstart adventurers).

The only new info that was added (I think!) was some details on what can be found in Anvil and Haven, and the names/backgrounds of some of the quickstart adventurers (which are based on the minatures from the boardgame).

If this book does well enough I hope that Arion Games will allow me to do another one in the future. I would certainly look into the idea of expanding the scenarios even further. Citadel of Chaos, anyone? Or perhaps a Return to Firetop Mountain?

By the way, that map is my doing, but I'm thrilled you mistook me for the master Mr. Nibbs! :lol:

Cheers,
Brett Schofield aka jediboyy
You're welcome; you've written an excellent book - equal with Blacksand as my favourite AFF title.

As far as further conversions, I'd love to see the Citadel of Chaos given similar treatment.

Oh, and apologies for misattributing the map; I've edited the post accordingly. :oops:

Robb 1
Knight

Post by Robb 1 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:15 pm

I agree with Bronn citadel of Chaos would be fantastic. With the upcoming Salamonis book it would be a fantastic addition to the AFF series

Also how about an expanded Forest of Doom this could include the entry to the infamous Dark Elf city and Yaztromos tower :D

Got my Warlock today but not had chance to look yet sounds excelent though :D

rob-jr

Post by rob-jr » Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:33 am

aaaand it is sold out. I was looking forward for the adventure :(

bottg
Site Admin

Post by bottg » Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:15 pm

rob-jr wrote:aaaand it is sold out. I was looking forward for the adventure :(
should be some more in by mid next week!