New forum member

Advanced Fighting Fantasy discussion
TAG Wiggy

New forum member

Post by TAG Wiggy » Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:40 pm

Hi folks,

I'm Wiggy, a long time gamer (32 years), full-time RPG writer and co-owner of Triple Ace Games (aka TAG), and avid AFF2 fan. Had the pleasure of meeting Graham at UK Games Expo, picking up a copy of The Warlock of Firetop Mountain scenario, and talking shop. I'm hoping to find enough free time to write something official for AFF2 in the near future.

I’m currently running an AFF2 game for two players (four characters*), one of whom is my wife. It's far from canonical - it uses Reaper’s Mouseling figures and several adventures from my company's fantasy setting merged into the Fighting Fantasy universe.

So far the heroes have retrieved a sacred idol stolen from a temple of Galana by Ratmen and taken part in the festivities at Medeton (not AFF canon). Currently they are on an epic quest…

After braving the many perils of Darkwood Forest and plundering a goblin chieftain’s hall (in which the thief stole two gems from a statue of the God of Malice and the wizard acquired two flintlock pistols), our intrepid heroes are currently in Rushton (non-canonical). Soon they’ll be entering the Forest of Spiders in search of the Hammer of Gillibran, which was stolen from the Badgers (which have replaced Dwarves) of Stonebridge.

After gaining the Hammer (assuming they survive) they’ll be heading to Watchgap Fort (another non-canonical addition), which they’ll be defending against an army of Ratmen and giant rats on their way to sack Stonebridge.

After that, we’ll be playing out a mass battle involving Badgers and the heroes vs. the Ratmen army at the Battle of Stonebridge. All being well, the heroes will win the day and be richly rewarded by King Gillibran.

* Our four illustrious heroes are…
- Sir Bartholomew Prickles, a Hedgehog Knight of the Golden Acorn who hails from Salamonis
- Tabitha “The Nibbler” Nibblecorn, a Mouseling thief from Port Blacksand and the ward of Sir Barty
- Hawkeye Longtail, a Mouseling archer and woodsman (woodsmouse, technically) from the Forest of Yore
- Reuben Turnipseed, a Mouseling wizard from Salamonis.

Slloyd14
Site Admin

Re: New forum member

Post by Slloyd14 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:07 pm

Nice. Do you have stat modifiers for your new races? Are you going to Fighting Fantasy Fest?
http://virtualfantasies.blogspot.com/

A blog about writing gamebooks. My musings on how to write a gamebook and what makes a good gamebook.

TAG Wiggy

Post by TAG Wiggy » Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:49 pm

Slloyd14 wrote:Nice. Do you have stat modifiers for your new races? Are you going to Fighting Fantasy Fest?
I used the core races, save for some minor tweaks, as you'll see below. Most races get +2 Stamina simply because they're larger figures. :)

MOUSELINGS - urban, forest, mountain, or desert
+1 Luck or Magic
(Terrain) Lore 1, Religion Lore 1, World Lore 1, one Movement or Stealth skill 1, Common Speech 4

BADGERS
+2 Stamina
Underground Lore 1, Crafting 1, Common Speech 2, Badger 4
Dark Seeing

HEDGEHOGS
+2 Stamina
Forest Lore 1, Hunting 1, Common Speech 2, Badger 4
Dark Seeing

OTTERS
+2 Stamina
River OR Sea Lore 1, Swim 1, Religion Lore 1, one Movement or Stealth skill 1, Common Speech 2, Ottish 4

No, I won't be attending FFF - I live in Shetland, so it's an expensive trip as it would involve two flights each way and a hotel overnight.

Bronn

Post by Bronn » Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:24 am

Badgers of Stonebridge... :lol:

Cool variations. Will there be a Weasel of Firetop Mountain?

TAG Wiggy

Post by TAG Wiggy » Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:47 am

Bronn wrote:Badgers of Stonebridge... :lol:

:D

I might make the Warlock a weasel. Planning on running the party through Firetop Mountain when the current quest is over.

Bronn

Post by Bronn » Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:02 pm

TAG Wiggy wrote:
Bronn wrote:Badgers of Stonebridge... :lol:

I might make the Warlock a weasel. Planning on running the party through Firetop Mountain when the current quest is over.
Nice.

I'm itching to run Warlock; it's a great little sandbox.

TAG Wiggy

Post by TAG Wiggy » Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:10 pm

That it is! I flicked through it when I picked it up at UKGE and it just oozed ideas off the page. Might add a new level or two just to extend it -- maybe give those a Moria feel, seeing as how it was a Dwarf mine once upon a time. Maybe add a Fire Demon. ;) And I quite fancy a mine cart chase scene, with the heroes being pursued by Goblins.

MountainPeak11
Adventurer

Post by MountainPeak11 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:24 pm

Welcome, Wiggy! Glad you had a great time at the UKGE. :)

Bronn

Post by Bronn » Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:19 am

TAG Wiggy wrote:That it is! I flicked through it when I picked it up at UKGE and it just oozed ideas off the page. Might add a new level or two just to extend it -- maybe give those a Moria feel, seeing as how it was a Dwarf mine once upon a time. Maybe add a Fire Demon. ;) And I quite fancy a mine cart chase scene, with the heroes being pursued by Goblins.
Sounds great! I'm interested in adding levels, too. Maybe a half-submerged level levels with subterranean fish-men and tentacle beasts.

Nuvole!
Archmage

Post by Nuvole! » Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:43 pm

TAG Wiggy wrote: I'm hoping to find enough free time to write something official for AFF2 in the near future.
I'm the real Nowhere man, sitting in my Nowhere land, making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.

bottg
Site Admin

Post by bottg » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:25 pm

Hullalla wrote:
TAG Wiggy wrote: I'm hoping to find enough free time to write something official for AFF2 in the near future.
I quite agree!

TAG Wiggy

Post by TAG Wiggy » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:53 pm

Quick campaign update:

The heroes are currently investigating sinister goings-on in Rushton. Lots of suspects, but little hard evidence so far. They've inadvertently announced their presence to the spider cult, so they're going to get a rude surprise next week - an attack on the cottage they're using as a base by spider cultists (Web spells) and giant spiders. Thanks to Beyond the Pit I have plenty of choices. :twisted:

TAG Wiggy

Post by TAG Wiggy » Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:57 pm

Almost had a death in the party (exactly 0 Stamina) tonight after the heroes were attacked by a Barrow Guardian and four Barrow Guards (whose tombs they were trying to loot). Luckily they'd just acquired a magic lamp from a witch whose spellbook they had found and returned. The genie doesn't grant open wishes - he acts as a Potion of Luck, Magic, Stamina, or Skill, as requested when summoned. It came with two "wishes" left, but is now down to one.