How in depth do you like your shopping lists?

Advanced Fighting Fantasy discussion
Slloyd14
Site Admin

How in depth do you like your shopping lists?

Post by Slloyd14 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:22 am

Another posts about adventures - how in depth do you like your shopping lists? Do you want a list for all the items you could buy, including mundane ones like candles along with how many you could buy, or would it be acceptable to only list unusual or expensive items and then refer to the list in the AFF2 book? Or would you just be able to forego shopping lists entirely because A) players don't really care for shopping and/or B) you could just make them up ad hoc.

How about a list of suggested items that they could buy? One item I have a few of are medicinal potions. They restore 2 stamina points per dose and it costs 3-5gp. It restores the same amount of stamina as a meal, but it weighs less, does not count towards your meals per day limit and can be used as a component for the DOC spell.
http://virtualfantasies.blogspot.com/

A blog about writing gamebooks. My musings on how to write a gamebook and what makes a good gamebook.

joesmith

Re: How in depth do you like your shopping lists?

Post by joesmith » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:20 am

My players love shopping for reasons I know not. Anytime they have an excuse to go to town and do some shopping that's my cue to close my books and let them get on with it. We have had many a session just shopping which has prompted me to run small impromtu adventures to add some spice to it (such as pick pockets, random shake downs by the city guard, being framed, etc) As such I like medium depth shopping lists. I like having all the main items with some more exotic items for reference. This is because half the things my players want aren't usually on shopping lists so I use the shopping list as a reference rather than a specific guide. For example, knowing the price of a necklace might be nice, but my players wouldn't just want the necklace, it would have to have be inscribed, have additional gems and the like thrown in. Okay, so half the places my players shop don't have access to the items they want anyway, but they try!

Doesn't matter what system we use, if there is a chance to shop, my players will.
I don't play Rolemaster but I do have the supplement "...and a 10' pole", I recommend this highly for shoppers and inspiration.

bottg
Site Admin

Post by bottg » Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:27 pm

joesmith wrote: Doesn't matter what system we use, if there is a chance to shop, my players will.
I don't play Rolemaster but I do have the supplement "...and a 10' pole", I recommend this highly for shoppers and inspiration.
You may be interested in a book we put together a while ago (not an AFF book): http://store.arion-games.com/Ultimate_W ... 49069.aspx

Slloyd14
Site Admin

Post by Slloyd14 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:17 pm

I actually have ...and a 10' pole, but I forgot - thanks for the reminder. And it's a good idea to have a little encounter if the heroes love shopping.

I saw the catalogue at Dragonmeet and loved it!

A blog about writing gamebooks. My musings on how to write a gamebook and what makes a good gamebook.

Nuvole!
Archmage

Post by Nuvole! » Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:35 pm

I prefer relatively short shopping lists with uncommon items or "local" items and goods, plus a final indication about which AFF2 list to look at for the other items or an indication of the kind of items that are unavailable in that market.
I'm the real Nowhere man, sitting in my Nowhere land, making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.

torus
Knight

Post by torus » Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:09 pm

I like short lists with a few unusual & enigmatic items. Just like the lists in the gamebooks.

Mr Nibbs
Knight

Post by Mr Nibbs » Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:24 pm

joesmith wrote:My players love shopping for reasons I know not. Anytime they have an excuse to go to town and do some shopping that's my cue to close my books and let them get on with it. We have had many a session just shopping which has prompted me to run small impromtu adventures to add some spice to it (such as pick pockets, random shake downs by the city guard, being framed, etc) As such I like medium depth shopping lists. I like having all the main items with some more exotic items for reference. This is because half the things my players want aren't usually on shopping lists so I use the shopping list as a reference rather than a specific guide. For example, knowing the price of a necklace might be nice, but my players wouldn't just want the necklace, it would have to have be inscribed, have additional gems and the like thrown in. Okay, so half the places my players shop don't have access to the items they want anyway, but they try!

Doesn't matter what system we use, if there is a chance to shop, my players will.

Shopping can be fun if you put the wrong labels on the potions :o)

Purplebroccoli

Post by Purplebroccoli » Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:24 pm

I don't care for shopping lists, unless one needs to specifically limit what is available. For example, If you go to trade with a stone-age tribe, then just let it be known they don't offer metal tools and armor.

Slloyd14
Site Admin

Post by Slloyd14 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:30 pm

Thanks for all the replies, guys.