Alternative healing rules?

Advanced Fighting Fantasy discussion
Slloyd14
Site Admin

Alternative healing rules?

Post by Slloyd14 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:51 am

Hi all. I read a post by Alex Schroeder on why he has no clerics in his campaign at:
https://alexschroeder.ch/wiki/2016-01-29_No_Clerics

He makes some points, a lot of which involve healing and it made me think about healing in AFF 2.

I think healing is important, but he is right that it can prolong things and if stamina is readily available, it does devalue it. However healing is nice to bring people back from the brink to give them the little extra push to win.

I mainly thought about the healing skill and how it can reduce the damage received from each combat by 2 on a successful roll. However, instead, it could restore 4 stamina, but only to someone whose stamina is 4 or less. The natural physician talent can automatically allow someone to work on a stamina of 6 or less and restore 6 stamina points.

To go more extreme, you could have a rule that people who are well fed and have enough sleep restore 1 stamina point a day or 3 stamina if they have the robust talent. The natural healer talent works as normal.

To go even further, the heal spell could be replaced with either cure or sanctuary or create food and water or protection.
http://virtualfantasies.blogspot.com/

A blog about writing gamebooks. My musings on how to write a gamebook and what makes a good gamebook.

Slloyd14
Site Admin

Re: Alternative healing rules?

Post by Slloyd14 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:34 am

Also, maybe using the healing ability to do this would require a use from a healing kit which would be cheap to buy, but it would just provide a limited number of uses in a dungeon, so the players won't be able to use it as soon as someone's stamina reduces to 4 or less.

The heal spell could be replaced by a spell that raises the stamina of someone whose stamina is 0 or less but still alive to 6.

The aim of these new rules is to provide healing so that no one dies from a random sword strike or if they get unlucky, but they will not be so strong that they can just do something stupid without consequence.

A blog about writing gamebooks. My musings on how to write a gamebook and what makes a good gamebook.

bottg
Site Admin

Post by bottg » Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:01 pm

I think that AFF has a bit of a head start in this area because of the gamebook legacy. Because you didn't have a priest in your one-man party, there had to be rules for rapid enough healing without making it too easy.

Because you get Stamina from eating, from sleeping and from first aid, and with the addition of the robust and natural healer talents, you already have good options.

SkinnyOrc
Hero

Post by SkinnyOrc » Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:44 pm

Slloyd14 wrote:I think healing is important, but he is right that it can prolong things and if stamina is readily available, it does devalue it.
Agree and it's a tricky balancing act allowing it in the right amount. There's of course a lot of different ways you can rebalance it in AFF but I'd prefer to target Natural Healing (currently around the same as a Heal if they get all their meals and sleep), then First Aid a bit and leave the Priest Heal power as it is. In D&D like he's talking about Clerics have healing spells coming out of their ears at even a medium level so it's what you'd focus on, but in AFF the Heal power is very effective but balanced by how infrequently it can be used. My feeling is it'll be saved for emergencies as long as the other healing's available in the right amount (which is a bit less).

It needs play testing and tweaking based on that but I wonder if it'd be enough to just halve Natural Healing and related Talents. So 1 STAMINA from a meal and 2 from a night's sleep. Loss from not eating is 1 STAMINA per day but for not drinking water it's 2, or 3 for neither (you can go 3 weeks without food but only a week without water). Loss for not sleeping is 1 STAMINA per day. Fast Healer Talent adds 1 STAMINA per day. Robust seems a bit samey to Fast Healer (up to 3 points back compared to a guaranteed 2) so perhaps it instead limits STAMINA loss from lack of food, water and sleep to no more than 1 point per day total, or if already only 1 to 1 point every 2 days.

For first Aid I like the ideas of limited medical supplies so it can't be used every person every fight indefinitely. Would 10 uses per encumbrance item worth of medical supplies limit it the right amount? With the above changes to Natural Healing I don't think I'd change the STAMINA values for First Aid or otherwise restrict it, but a couple more small changes. If a character has less than 1 STAMINA then First Aid can be applied without medical supplies, but if it succeeds they only have 1 STAMINA (in an emergency they tear strips off clothes or whatever needs to be done to save them). If a double 6 is rolled applying First Aid and the resulting additional damage would take the character to -4 there is one round before they die in which magical healing can be applied if available.
bottg wrote:Because you get Stamina from eating, from sleeping and from first aid, and with the addition of the robust and natural healer talents, you already have good options.
Yep this is what I meant by having lots of different ways you can rebalance it in AFF. It's more interesting that it's not all about magical healing.

SkinnyOrc
Hero

Post by SkinnyOrc » Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:44 am

Slloyd14 wrote:it could restore 4 stamina, but only to someone whose stamina is 4 or less. The natural physician talent can automatically allow someone to work on a stamina of 6 or less and restore 6 stamina points.
Occurred to me that some groups may not enjoy rolling so many First Aid special skill tests after their fights. Avoiding that could be a side benefit of this idea in the original post of allowing First Aid to only be applied to seriously injured characters. Also as the amount of healing that's gained this way is more than in the rulebook it may balance out with being able to apply it less often and so not change the overall amount of healing available at all. The exact numbers used might need fine tuning to achieve that though.

Another option that avoids so many tests is that First Aid can be used at the end of a fight without a test as long as you have the special skill and aren't under pressure. Instead it automatically recovers 2 STAMINA. You would still make a test if the person had less than 1 STAMINA and was bleeding out, or if combat was still going on (they lose a luck point every 6 rounds so usually it can wait but occasionally not), or any other situation where there would be serious distraction (for example they might have won but can hear more enemies approaching, or they might be forced to flee carrying them and are hiding from pursuit). This results in more healing overall because the First Aid test won't be failed as often. So it might work well in combination with the decreased Natural Healing in my last post.

Slloyd14
Site Admin

Post by Slloyd14 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:46 pm

I agree that some people may not like rolling so many first aid rolls. There's also a mechanic in AFF2 where if you have x points in a skill then you can succeed at something automatically (for example, if you have 1 point in Magic Lore, you can read a scroll), so maybe, if you have the heal skill, you can automatically restore 3 stamina points to someone whose stamina is 3 or less in quiet conditions, but you need a roll otherwise (I like that idea), or as asubtle difference, if someone's stamina is 3 or less, you can restore their stamina to 4, which seems like a good number to be just out of range of being killed by a random blow. Doin this requires 1 use from a healer's kit (so you have resource management there too).

If you have the Natural Healer talent, if someone's stamina is 6 or less, you can restore it to 8 if you use a healer's kit.

Skyrock

Post by Skyrock » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:22 pm

D&D 3.5 had two feats that could raise someone to half health for free (but no further) - Touch of Healing and Draconic Aura (Vigor). Might make a model for a new talent.

If you want lax healing without necessating magic, you could return to the healing rules of the original FF books - 4 Stamina per ration, with no upper limit per day. (Although that could lead to this on the other hand.)