Stellar Adventures Kickstarter

Advanced Fighting Fantasy discussion
bottg
Site Admin

Stellar Adventures Kickstarter

Post by bottg » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:36 am

The space version of AFF has been bouncing around for a while now, and Jonathon Hicks has actually finished writing several chapters, but i have now taken over and have launched it as a KS:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/20 ... adventures

This game will allow just about any type of SciFi adventures from soldiers in powered armour vs vicious alien monsters to the command crew of an imperial frontier explorer ship. Small time traders moving between starports to space bounty hunters. Dystopian robot hunters to rebels fighting against a corrupt government.

The core rules have all been planned out, and the first draft of several chapters have been written, but we would like interested KS backers to join the playtest of the game as soon as the campaign has finished.

shintokamikaze
Hero

Re: Stellar Adventures Kickstarter

Post by shintokamikaze » Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:27 pm

That's so cool, I want to do some games based on the 80s SCI FI TV show V :idea:

SurrenderMonkey

Post by SurrenderMonkey » Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:13 am

I hope that's the actual cover, because that looks amazing!

Nuvole!
Archmage

Post by Nuvole! » Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:49 am

By far my favourite sci-fi FF gamebook is Robot Commando, so as long as the rules will allow an easy conversion of it I'm absolutely up for it!!!
Other "sci-fi" gamebooks that I'd love to play with this ruleset are Freeway Fighter and... Spectral Stalkers!
I'm the real Nowhere man, sitting in my Nowhere land, making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.

Slloyd14
Site Admin

Post by Slloyd14 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:12 pm

Hullalla wrote:By far my favourite sci-fi FF gamebook is Robot Commando, so as long as the rules will allow an easy conversion of it I'm absolutely up for it!!!
Other "sci-fi" gamebooks that I'd love to play with this ruleset are Freeway Fighter and... Spectral Stalkers!
Speaking of Spectral Stalkers, it may be too much to ask, but will it be possible to get some Fantasy Titan Adventurers to travel through time and space and land somewhere technological? Or will the rules not be compatible?
http://virtualfantasies.blogspot.com/

A blog about writing gamebooks. My musings on how to write a gamebook and what makes a good gamebook.

Nuvole!
Archmage

Post by Nuvole! » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:05 pm

Any chance of having an introductory adventure?
I'm the real Nowhere man, sitting in my Nowhere land, making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.

SkinnyOrc
Hero

Post by SkinnyOrc » Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:44 am

Slloyd14 wrote:will it be possible to get some Fantasy Titan Adventurers to travel through time and space and land somewhere technological? Or will the rules not be compatible?
Be interesting to see but you'd guess there wouldn't be a prob, the rules for the sci-fi and fantasy gamebooks were pretty similar.

From what I've seen of sci-fi RPG systems there's two broad types, ones where personal defenses are in balance with weapons and those where one hit can kill and shooting first is critical. Most fantasy RPG systems can do the first without much change but not really the second, and AFF less than most because simultaneous initiative wouldn't work for that. But then that sort of realism isn't as much fun to play as it sounds.

I can think of an adventure done for another fantasy system that seems just like you're describing. Be interesting to convert that for AFF.

Edited to fix my phones auto-correct so it made sense :)
Last edited by SkinnyOrc on Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nuvole!
Archmage

Post by Nuvole! » Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:39 am

I can see your point.
I guess that distance damage mechanics can make a huge difference under this point of view.

fmitchell

Post by fmitchell » Mon Jul 04, 2016 4:22 pm

One trap many science fiction games fall into is that the characters' gear becomes more important than the character. The game provides an entire catalog of gadgets, and if you don't have the most powerful weapons and the heaviest armor you're toast. Then there are the starship design rules that require a spreadsheet, with dozens of numbers that will eventually mean something at some time or another.

One of AFF's most admirable qualities is its simplicity. Instead of hundreds of named gadgets, I'd rather have the ability to define what a gadget does, either in the narrative or within the rules. If a character gets shot by a blaster/ray-gun/Gauss rifle/whatever, he should have a chance to survive it even if he isn't wearing monomolecular plate armor. And while I don't want to handwave space ships entirely (I'm looking at you, Cypher System) I'd rather have a few numbers like Scale, Maneuverability (SKILL?), and Hull (STAMINA?), and run it much like any other AFF combat. (I've also seen systems where each player character mans a battle station: captain, pilot, weapons, damage control, etc.)

In reality, interplanetary distances and cosmic forces make humanity seem insignificant, but as someone else said realism isn't all that fun. I'd rather play Buck Rogers than Dave Bowman.

Nuvole!
Archmage

Post by Nuvole! » Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:58 pm

@fmitchell
Assuming that the rules won't revolutionize totally what can be found in the sci-fi FF gamebooks, I wouldn't worry too much about that issues.

fmitchell

Post by fmitchell » Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:39 am

Graham Bottley and collaborators will have to expand on the gamebook info somewhat to make a general system. For example I would be dissatisfied if starships were solely WEAPONS STRENGTH and SHIELDS from Starship Traveller. That may fit the pseudo-naval battles of the Star Trek TV series, but where are the chases through debris fields? Dog fights? Leaf-on-the-wind maneuvers to avoid hostile fire (and friendly fire)? Does it matter if there's an expert pilot or a raw cadet at the controls? On the other hand, it would be a shame if Second System Effect turned Stellar Adventures into Traveller or GURPS. It's going to be a balancing act.

SkinnyOrc
Hero

Post by SkinnyOrc » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:45 am

Hullalla wrote:I guess that distance damage mechanics can make a huge difference
Well, ultra-thin body armour or personal energy shields making guns less effective give a reason for melee weapons making a come back. It also explains why characters can take hits even with hi-tech weapons. Maybe needing to justify that is realism over fun again but it's an option for GMs who like it. On the other hand it could just be like the Stormtroopers in Star Wars that don't seem to be able to shoot anything more than a few metres away :) Bad helmet design?
fmitchell wrote:if you don't have the most powerful weapons and the heaviest armor you're toast.
The sci-fi equivalent of constantly replacing your magical sword with a new one with more pluses! Expect they'll follow AFF there and have a range of normal equipment all within a narrow band of effectiveness and then special items, "alien tech" and experimental stuff maybe, that are beyond that but either very rare or limited in some way. As long as the permanent special items are rare and useful throughout the characters career you avoid that upgrade treadmill. As you say it keeps the focus on story and off collecting stuff.
fmitchell wrote:systems where each player character mans a battle station: captain, pilot, weapons, damage control
Spaceship skills like that were a lot of fun in a game I played way back. It makes spaceship battles roleplaying rather than wargaming, although that can be good too for large scale. if they can't fit that stuff in maybe we'll see something like the Heroes Companion with it later.

fmitchell

Post by fmitchell » Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:59 am

SkinnyOrc wrote:Expect they'll follow AFF there and have a range of normal equipment all within a narrow band of effectiveness and then special items, "alien tech" and experimental stuff maybe, that are beyond that but either very rare or limited in some way.
Somewhat off topic, but Numenera handles this in an interesting way. Most special items ("numenera") are Cyphers, jerry-rigged bits of barely understood technology that only work once before exploding or burning out. Player characters are meant to cycle through Cyphers; they can only carry a limited number at a time before they react with each other, and scavenging for more is what PCs do in Numenera. Plus, if they're massively over-powered, at least they only work once.

Some are Artifacts, which are good for multiple uses (usually) but may fail randomly. After using an Artifact, the player must make a "depletion roll" -- anything from a d6 to a d100, depending on the Artifact -- and if a 1 comes up, the Artifact is kaput. (A few with minor ongoing effects never deplete.) Artifacts are meant as rewards, but time-limited ones lest players get too comfortable.

And then there are Oddities, weird little things with no real purpose. Oddities are just atmosphere.

Identifying what a numenera is and what it does is a fairly easy task. Normal tech in Numenera is vaguely late medieval-ish, early Renaissance, with anachronisms and strangeness, but you could make slug-throwers or lasers common and still have room for the bizarre stuff that numenera can do.

Since Numenera is set post-several-apocalypses, flaky equipment fits. In a more conventional science fiction game technology would be reliable -- that's kind of the point of technology over magic -- but there's always that alien doodad or mad science experiment.

Nuvole!
Archmage

Post by Nuvole! » Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:03 pm

fmitchell wrote: Somewhat off topic, but Numenera handles this in an interesting way...
I took part with pleasure to Numenera playtesting, so I'm sure you will appreciate that I have absolutely nothing against it (at all), but if I wanted to play Numenera I'd play Numenera, not Stellar Adventures: each ruleset and setting has its own flavour and its own pros and cons. I think that Stellar Adventures is better stick with its flavour, legacy and gaming approach (for good or bad) that is its own, rather than trying to steal too many tricks here and there. If Stellar Adventures loses its own legacy and flavour, then there are a lot of sci-fi ruleset out there and there would be nothing setting it apart.

Robb 1
Knight

Post by Robb 1 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:37 pm

I'm hoping for vehicle rules for a freeway fighter mad max setting . Then Transfer it to Titan Dwarves and orcish biker gangs Imagine the fun with a warlock mechanic with some form of magic to enhance your motorcycle or car 8)