Stellar Adventures Kickstarter

Advanced Fighting Fantasy discussion
SkinnyOrc
Hero

Re: Stellar Adventures Kickstarter

Post by SkinnyOrc » Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:53 am

fmitchell wrote:Numenera handles this in an interesting way.
Ah okay, I haven't seen it but does sound interesting. If I followed there they've made finding and playing around with items a central theme of the game but in a good way.

Something occurred to me reading the posts here. AFF has pretty much one game world with Titan. Sure it's a big place with a lot of variety but the rule books are all written for that one world. The settings from the different sci-fi gamebooks have their own styles, tech levels, creatures, items, everything! You'd think Stellar Adventures is going to have to be a lot more flexible/generic than AFF.

Slloyd14
Site Admin

Post by Slloyd14 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:37 pm

I love the Numenera approach. In fact, there could be a tech level of items similar to the Enchantment level. Numenera would be level 3 (powerful 1 use items). Numenera trinkets would be on a par with AFF trinkets (level 2 - nice items with really narrow uses or level 1 even).

I would be hard to make sci fi rules for every setting. This means that they would need rules for modern (rifles etc) all the way up to science fantasy (lightsabres). DnD actually made a few rules for this in their 3rd and 5th edition rule books with stats for grenades, rifles and plasma cannons, so it can be done. I feel that instant death weapons should be avoided, but a plasma cannon could deal 5 damage on the roll of a 1 to 8 damage on the roll of a 7+ for example. Maybe they could be mass combat weapons only, dealing damage to units and buildings so that there is an upper limit to how powerful individual weapons are. If they get too powerful, they become mass combat weapons only (incidentally, what would happen if you cast a mass combat attack spell on an individual?)

I guess that making spaceship combat most compatible with AFF, you could treat spaceships (and mecha and Mad Max cars) as moving buildings with siege weapons on them. Shields are treated as a super hard material, maybe? Just riffing here.
http://virtualfantasies.blogspot.com/

A blog about writing gamebooks. My musings on how to write a gamebook and what makes a good gamebook.

Slloyd14
Site Admin

Post by Slloyd14 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:55 pm

Here is an example spaceship.

Imperial Federation Fighter

Battle Skill: Equal to Skill + Piloting skill of pilot.

Movement: 10 (of course, the scale in space will be different, so this is not equivalent to 10 squares on a land mass battle. If a fighter was taking part in one of those, it could probably move wherever it wanted to in a turn).

Battle Stamina: 6
Armour: 0,0,1,1,2,2,3

Shields: Battle Stamina: 3
Armour: 2,2,3,3,4,4,5

Weapon: Blaster
Damage: 4,5,5,6,6,7

Imperial Federation starship

Battle Skill: Equal to skill of command unit + Piloting skill (piloting will be a mass battle unit skill. The command unit will probably be made up of the bridge officers - captain, first officer, helmsman, tactical officer)

Movement: 6

Battle Stamina: 20
Armour: 1,2,2,2,3,4,5

Shields: Battle Stamina: 10
Armour: 3,3,3,4,4,5,6

Weapon: Blaster
Damage: 5,5,5,6,6,7

Weapon: Torpedo (limited number)
Damage: 7,7,8,8,9,10

Of course, making scifi things compatible with fantasy counterparts isn't as difficult as it appears to be. There is, after all, an upper limit to what weapons can do (in the Star Trek episode Balance of Terror, a nuke did a lot of damage to the Enterprise) and if there are weapons that can vaporise whole units of soldiers with no save, they can be limiting in other ways, like needing x rounds to charge, or dealing damage to the user.

A blog about writing gamebooks. My musings on how to write a gamebook and what makes a good gamebook.

Slloyd14
Site Admin

Post by Slloyd14 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:45 pm

Also, futuristic is not necessarily better. A jacket that protects you from laser beams might be useless against a punch. There's an episode of Stargate SG1 where they find out that the main bad guy has a personal force field that only protects against fast moving projectiles (such as bullets). However, an arrow moved slow enough through it.

fmitchell

Post by fmitchell » Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:47 pm

Hullalla wrote:I think that Stellar Adventures is better stick with its flavour, legacy and gaming approach (for good or bad) that is its own, rather than trying to steal too many tricks here and there.
To some extent I agree, but if there's a cool mechanic that solves a problem I say steal it. RPG design has changed a lot in 30 years, and while not all of it is good -- or consistent with AFF -- there's a few things worth learning from. Jerry-rigged one-use tech solves a problem: how to allow powerful technology in one situation without letting it wreck the whole campaign. On the other hand, I don't suggest we use "depletion rolls" if tracking charges will do; in the Ninth World "technology" is practically magic, whereas in Stellar Adventures most technology is manufactured somewhere in the known universe.
Slloyd14 wrote:Also, futuristic is not necessarily better.
Also agreed. Technology should have natural limits. A disintegrator rifle may require an external energy source or take several combat rounds between firings. (Or could be unstable: "Whadd'ya know, it disintegrated.") Force shields may not protect against slow-moving attacks (as in SG-1 or Dune), or deflect only certain types of damage. Conversely, slug-throwers and lasers may be "weak" but they're reliable, and an old-fashioned breastplate made of advanced materials could be your best friend (heavy though it may be).

Going back to an earlier point, I don't think SA should be about having the bigger gun. In the grand adventure tradition, it should be about using the tools you have to outwit guys with bigger guns.

fmitchell

Post by fmitchell » Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:12 pm

SkinnyOrc wrote:The settings from the different sci-fi gamebooks have their own styles, tech levels, creatures, items, everything! You'd think Stellar Adventures is going to have to be a lot more flexible/generic than AFF.
I don't know what Graham's plans are, but I can think of a few ways to handle this:

1. The GURPS Approach: A discussion of genre tropes, with a few example settings mined from previous work (i.e. gamebooks).

2. The Traveller/Sine Nomine Method: Lots of random tables to generate planets, societies, aliens, and plot hooks.

3. The Far Trek Maneuver: Common space-opera cliches for worlds and aliens, e.g. the One Climate World, the Desert With Foam Rocks World, the Proud Warrior Race, Space Elves, Space Orcs, Space Dwarves, the Talking Animal Aliens, the Alien Princess, the Bumpy Forehead Aliens, the Godlike But Selectively Stupid Alien, The Exaggerated Personality Trait Culture, The Bloody Obvious Aesop Culture. It should also include anti-patterns like The Racist Alien Race, The Conspicuously Absent Gender, the Earthman's Burden, and the Plot-Solving Machine.

SkinnyOrc
Hero

Post by SkinnyOrc » Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:51 am

I'd be happy with some of all of those but with emphasis on number 1. As Hullalla was saying it's the material from the sci-fi gamebooks which will give this a unique flavour. So I hope as much of that as possible makes it in as example settings and then the mechanics are able to be applied more generally. But given how different those gamebooks are, if it can do all of them it can do most sci-fi settings you'd want! Of course that doesn't stop you "borrowing" things from other systems like spaceship skills just because they weren't in the gamebooks.

Nuvole!
Archmage

Post by Nuvole! » Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:07 am

I think that the cover art of Robot Commando is one of the coolest of all FF gamebooks. Is there a chance that this artwork will be somehow present in Stellar Adventures?
I'm the real Nowhere man, sitting in my Nowhere land, making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.

Robb 1
Knight

Post by Robb 1 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:12 pm

Slloyd14 wrote:
Hullalla wrote:By far my favourite sci-fi FF gamebook is Robot Commando, so as long as the rules will allow an easy conversion of it I'm absolutely up for it!!!
Other "sci-fi" gamebooks that I'd love to play with this ruleset are Freeway Fighter and... Spectral Stalkers!
Speaking of Spectral Stalkers, it may be too much to ask, but will it be possible to get some Fantasy Titan Adventurers to travel through time and space and land somewhere technological? Or will the rules not be compatible?
Or how about technologicaly advanced races entering a high magic world where all people have magical abilities and technology is illegal, banned or destroyed , such as happens in The Dark sword Quartet by Margaret Weiss and Tracy Hickman (of Dragon Lance fame) high magic vs high tech the results could be interesting :lol:

Nuvole!
Archmage

Post by Nuvole! » Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:39 pm

Happy to see that we achieved the first stretch target and we are closing fast on the second stretch target as well!
I'm the real Nowhere man, sitting in my Nowhere land, making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.

Nuvole!
Archmage

Post by Nuvole! » Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:05 pm

Slloyd14 wrote: Speaking of Spectral Stalkers, it may be too much to ask
Agree.

LordArioch
Adventurer

Post by LordArioch » Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:25 pm

I finally got my pledge through the Kickstarter system...after several headaches this morning and afternoon. My bank blocked the payment, and I had to travel into the bank's branch office several miles distant to confirm that it was a legitimate transferral, later got home only to find out that the card was still locked. Another call and eight attempts later it finally went through! Ugh.

Nuvole!
Archmage

Post by Nuvole! » Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:12 pm

Glad to see that even the third stretch target was achieved on time!