Second issue submissions

For discussion of the AFF Fanzine
JohnK

Re: Second issue submissions

Post by JohnK » Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:50 pm

Nuvole! wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:30 am
I will submit The Doors of Eryx, a Stellar Adventures mini-campaign with some underlying lovecraftian themes and some references to Slaves of the Abyss. I've been working on it for a while, but I need to improve the final write up. There are some alien monsters in it, so maybe some artist can have a look at the descriptions as soon as I add the file to the shared folder.
I've just added an image that might be related to what you've asked. You can just check the artwork folder of the fanzine.
“I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.”

Nuvole!
Archmage

Post by Nuvole! » Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:38 pm

The image looks great to me (once coloured, it is well-worth getting the cover, for me), but the creature is different from the descriptions (that are related to some less-known Lovecraftian writings, set in space, so I don't think I should change the descriptions to match the image as I'd lose a literary connection). However, it can be great to set up the mood, as the characters are going in space aware that something like that may happen.

I just uploaded the first part of the adventure Into the Doors of Eryx. There are a few bits that require some more work on my side, but at least it should be a fair basis in case you wanted to draw something for it. If it's too long to read through it, you can jump directly to the section Life Forms of Eryx, that may inspire you.
I'm the real Nowhere man, sitting in my Nowhere land, making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.

JohnK

Post by JohnK » Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:17 am

Nuvole! wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:38 pm
The image looks great to me (once coloured, it is well-worth getting the cover, for me), but the creature is different from the descriptions (that are related to some less-known Lovecraftian writings, set in space, so I don't think I should change the descriptions to match the image as I'd lose a literary connection). However, it can be great to set up the mood, as the characters are going in space aware that something like that may happen.

I just uploaded the first part of the adventure Into the Doors of Eryx. There are a few bits that require some more work on my side, but at least it should be a fair basis in case you wanted to draw something for it. If it's too long to read through it, you can jump directly to the section Life Forms of Eryx, that may inspire you.
I have uploaded the same image in color. I think that it looks better.

I will read your article and see what I can do!
“I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.”

Nuvole!
Archmage

Post by Nuvole! » Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:31 am

JohnK wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:17 am
I have uploaded the same image in color. I think that it looks better.
Very nice! 8)
I'm the real Nowhere man, sitting in my Nowhere land, making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.

Nuvole!
Archmage

Post by Nuvole! » Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:41 am

@JohnK
The lovecraftian alien lizard is very nice! :mrgreen:

Nuvole!
Archmage

Post by Nuvole! » Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:10 am

The end of September is approaching and the right time for the second issue should be December.
Where are we with the submissions?
I will update my draft of the first part of the adventure in few days.

JohnK

Post by JohnK » Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:05 am

I've added two versions of the same image on the drive folder of a demon like monster. It might become an inspiration for someone here to write a suitable background and stats for it.

Nuvole!
Archmage

Post by Nuvole! » Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:23 pm

John, you are doing a brilliant job!

JohnK

Post by JohnK » Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:47 am

Nuvole! wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:23 pm
John, you are doing a brilliant job!
Thank you!

Andrew Wright

Post by Andrew Wright » Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:19 pm

Damian May and myself have done a Chelonian/Turtle Folk piece for Beyond the Pit (currently working on the art). Should be ready soon! :-)

Nuvole!
Archmage

Post by Nuvole! » Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:40 pm

It's already October and now we know that it takes very long time for layout etc.

JohnK

Post by JohnK » Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:02 pm

Nuvole! wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:40 pm
It's already October and now we know that it takes very long time for layout etc.
I've added today a short adventure "The dream labyrinth of Apollones II" on the drive.
Let me know what you think. If you think that it can stand alone or it may be more useful as an consept to be used in a different setting or adventure.

Nuvole!
Archmage

Post by Nuvole! » Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:44 pm

@JohnK
I think it can stand on its own, but I had the impression that you changed the names through the write up, as sometimes you mention Apollones I and II but some other times you mention Apollonius I and II.
Perhaps it would be nice, to build up amateur lore, if you'd tell where this place is... perhaps somewhere in Khul or in the Old World, somewhere without much information about it...

JohnK

Post by JohnK » Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:42 am

Nice! Thanks for reading it and also the advice. I believe that it would be more appropriate as amateur lore as you say. Perhaps I should think again some things on it or add more info later.

Nuvole!
Archmage

Post by Nuvole! » Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:23 pm

It could be also a strange location that can pop up here and there, depending on astral conditions, etc. so every Director can summon this location in their games as and when required... :)