WOFTM session. Fun stuff an Analysis.

Advanced Fighting Fantasy discussion
darksoul
Knight

Re: WOFTM session. Fun stuff an Analysis.

Post by darksoul » Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:15 am

Nuvole! wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:41 am
darksoul wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:07 am
Most Fighting Fantasy books were meant to be playable and beaten with either minimal or no combat. WOFTM is supposed to be one of those books.
Where did you find this statement? It doesn't match my experience with FF gamebooks and, in general, it would be strange calling "Fighting Fantasy" a series meant to be playable without fighting.
I went to check my gamebook intros. Yes, your right, it' doesn't say no combat.

Portal of Evil Getting started section "There is a way to succeed that involves little risk even if you start with low initial scores.
WOFTM, City of Thieves and Deathtrap Dungeon "The one true way involves a minimum of risk and any player no matter how weak on initial dice rolls should be able to get through fairly easily."

It's not clear what it means by little risk. You're right that that doesn't assume combat. It does indicate that stats are not a major factor though.

As an extra note, there is, I heard a few books that didn't follow this formula. Crypt of the sorcerer is supposed so ridiculously hard that you would need max stats and be extremely lucky to beat it. Thing is I read Chasms of Malice was ridiculously deadly(it is) and people complained about it but someone found a way through the book with minimal risk.

Nuvole!
Archmage

Post by Nuvole! » Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:55 am

Well... a lotof FF gamebooks require high stats to have a chance of succeeding! :P
I'm the real Nowhere man, sitting in my Nowhere land, making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.

darksoul
Knight

Post by darksoul » Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:49 am

Nuvole! wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:55 am
Well... a lotof FF gamebooks require high stats to have a chance of succeeding! :P
Ok, I decided to go back and check my facts :) . So, minimum of risk doesn't mean "no combat" you're right. So far, after a quick check, there are at least 6 combat encounters that you must have in WOFTM I believe. I went through the first 1/4 and considered some later parts you encounter.
So, by minimum of risk I think they mean fewer high difficulty fights, potentially quite a few enemy low skill (below sk 6) fights.
It's occured to me that minimum of risk doesn't mean no risk as well.

drbargle

Post by drbargle » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:17 am

darksoul wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:36 am
I'm posting this because this session made me laugh more than I expected & there is some interesting notes about running an AFF game here. If you just want to read the analysis read the 2nd half.
This is great stuff and points out two things that are often missed in dicsussions of AFF.

1/ AFF can do gritty 'survival' exploration in which simply keeping fed is as important as finding treasure even without laborious inventory tracking.
2/ Criticals make the Heroes, who often far outmatch their opponents in effective SKILL (if fighting with their favoured weapons, at least), wary of getting into too many fights, especially against multiple opponents. A fight against 3 or 4 GOBLINS might be a foregone conclusion for a Hero with an effective SKILL of 9 and double digit STAMINA, but those GOBLINS will drop a lot of dice on the table and 1 in 36 rolls *will* be a critical hit. Throwing your Heroes into pointless fights can have consequences that a good night's sleep and a hearty meal will not fix.

Dawndeath
Adventurer

Post by Dawndeath » Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:35 pm

drbargle wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:17 am
2/ Criticals make the Heroes, who often far outmatch their opponents in effective SKILL (if fighting with their favoured weapons, at least), wary of getting into too many fights, especially against multiple opponents. A fight against 3 or 4 GOBLINS might be a foregone conclusion for a Hero with an effective SKILL of 9 and double digit STAMINA, but those GOBLINS will drop a lot of dice on the table and 1 in 36 rolls *will* be a critical hit. Throwing your Heroes into pointless fights can have consequences that a good night's sleep and a hearty meal will not fix.
I like the idea of Heroes being a little wary of combat - even against somewhat weaker opponents. Although hack-and-slash can be fun sometimes, I like the players to be a bit more conscious about fights - to think about why they are fighting and whether it's actually necessary to accomplish their goals. Is the fight worth the risk? As a Director, I try to plan encounters that don't always have to be solved by fighting, and to encourage the players to look for other approaches than immediately drawing swords.