Defining Medicinal Potions

Advanced Fighting Fantasy discussion
Zettonsperson

Defining Medicinal Potions

Post by Zettonsperson » Sun May 17, 2020 7:47 am

Can anyone possibly offer a Medicinal Potion (as used for the DOC spell) definition or description? Because they're not Potions of STAMINA. There's no description of one in the Titan Herbal. There's not even an entry in the sorcery spell component list in the AFF2e SRD for a Medicinal Potion. I know there were a few variations throughout the Sorcery Gamebooks (haven't got the up-to-date campaign yet) including Blimberry Juice, and, I believe, brandy.
I was just hoping someone might have an idea or two to clear up the confusion.

Andrew Wright

Re: Defining Medicinal Potions

Post by Andrew Wright » Mon May 18, 2020 6:25 am

Ironically, I'm currently working on a magic items book for AFF which will have a summary of all the Medicinal Potion/Blimberry Juice info in it. In fact I'll be adding entries on all Sorcery! components, as for example, you can Green-Furred Wigs in RAP and YAP spells but in the original FF RPG there was a magic one as well that worked for anyone.

SkinnyOrc
Hero

Post by SkinnyOrc » Mon May 18, 2020 12:23 pm

Not sure if they are, but you could treat them the same as a Curative Salve.

dipsomancer

Post by dipsomancer » Tue May 19, 2020 1:30 pm

I tend to judge most things in the Titan Herbal as a Medicinal Potion, although you should take care as the pricing and availability of some items (Leatherleaf – I’m looking at you) are a bit on the cheap side compared with traditional stamina potions.

In my own games; as Stamina Potions are very rare in the Old World, I added the following which I allow the DOC spell to work with.
Wound Salve (restores 4 Stamina) – 8gp
Herbal Tonic (restores 8 Stamina) – 16gp

I did start to write my own herbal but it quickly escalated way out of control.
I need to go back and shorten it considerably, but I want to finish ironing out my ideas on Galenist medicine before I return to it.

Zettonsperson

Post by Zettonsperson » Wed May 20, 2020 11:50 am

Alright, I've at least come up with my own herbal recipe for a Medicinal Potion (Based on the Titan Herbal), which is made of ingredients available across Titan, and should be available in all settlements.

Common Medicinal Potion
Requires Anise, Bilberry and Catgrape
Costs in a Village: 10gp per vial
Restores 6 STAMINA if drunk straight or can be used for the DOC spell.

Nuvole!
Archmage

Post by Nuvole! » Wed May 20, 2020 2:04 pm

Sounds good to me! 8)
I'm the real Nowhere man, sitting in my Nowhere land, making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.