bottg
Site Admin

New AFF Adventure released - Inn of Last Hope

Post by bottg » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:44 am

Nuvole!
Hero

Re: New AFF Adventure released - Inn of Last Hope

Post by Nuvole! » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:33 am

I really appreciate this new course of publishing pdf adventures!
He's a real Nowhere man, sitting in his Nowhere land, making all his Nowhere plans for Nobody.

Robb 1
Knight

Post by Robb 1 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:19 pm

not bought this yet but wierdly it reminds me of the legendary saltersgate inn just below the hole of horcum on the road between pickering and whitby here in yorkshire its been empty for several years now and is derelict ( did have a pint and sandwich there once) It has a very sinister past allegedly including being visited by the devil and the murder of an excise man and had a fire that was kept burning without going out for 200 years to prevent the devil or the ghost of the excise man returning not sure if there is any hidden treasure though. It still stands empty but no one appears to own it or plan to redevelop it. even wierder it never appears to get any worse and i tend to drive past it several times a year . Not even sure if the fire is still tended
STRANGE :twisted:

FarsightBlogger

Post by FarsightBlogger » Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:34 pm

Robb 1 wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:19 pm
not bought this yet but wierdly it reminds me of the legendary saltersgate inn just below the hole of horcum on the road between pickering and whitby here in yorkshire its been empty for several years now and is derelict ( did have a pint and sandwich there once) It has a very sinister past allegedly including being visited by the devil and the murder of an excise man and had a fire that was kept burning without going out for 200 years to prevent the devil or the ghost of the excise man returning not sure if there is any hidden treasure though. It still stands empty but no one appears to own it or plan to redevelop it. even wierder it never appears to get any worse and i tend to drive past it several times a year . Not even sure if the fire is still tended
STRANGE :twisted:
That place is chock full of story ideas! Although sadly they intend to tear the building down, which is a huge shame.

SkinnyOrc
Knight

Post by SkinnyOrc » Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:33 am

FarsightBlogger wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:34 pm
That place is chock full of story ideas! Although sadly they intend to tear the building down, which is a huge shame.
I was looking at pics of it here. Not the most interesting looking old building I've ever seen being a big two story rectangle but still surprises me they're allowed to knock it down.

I'll get this adventure some time soon, I tend to wait until there's a few things I want from DTRPG and get them together.

Nuvole!
Hero

Post by Nuvole! » Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:20 pm

In Yorkshire there are too many places like that, that would be perfect opportunities for the territory and are instead left rotting or torn down.
He's a real Nowhere man, sitting in his Nowhere land, making all his Nowhere plans for Nobody.

Robb 1
Knight

Post by Robb 1 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:30 pm

SkinnyOrc wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:33 am
FarsightBlogger wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:34 pm
I was looking at pics of it here. Not the most interesting looking old building I've ever seen being a big two story rectangle but still surprises me they're allowed to knock it down.

I'll get this adventure some time soon, I tend to wait until there's a few things I want from DTRPG and get them together.
It used to be quite pleasent inside especially where the fire that never went out was but I think its location let it down in the later years theres not many farms etc nearby only raf fylingdale so it relied on passing traffic from the hole of horkum( made by a giant who threw a great clod of earth at his wife during an argument allegedly it missed and landed where roseberry top(could be misspelled) now stands near Guisborough.)

Though beneith fyling dales there is allegedly the mysterious black meadow where no amount of wierdness occurs such as mist men vanishing schollars and a villlage that appears usually after the mist man is seen and if course theres the dreaded bargheists that prowl the area. There has to be some reason that area has so many stone crosses :evil: :twisted:

SkinnyOrc
Knight

Post by SkinnyOrc » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:49 am

Robb 1 wrote:It used to be quite pleasent inside especially where the fire that never went out was
With a fire that never goes out in a pub, hard to believe that in all the years there was never anyone feeling the call of nature who decided to test the legend... :D
Robb 1 wrote:fylingdale... hole of horkum... roseberry top... Guisborough...
Top place names. When I'm trying to come up with a place name for a game I just drop a finger on a Google map of the UK and zoom right in (or sometimes another country if I'm after a different sound). I can't stand those made up fantasy place names you get in a lot of RPG and computer games. I'm going to apologise in advance to our American friends for saying this, but you tend to be particularly guilty of this one ;)
Robb 1 wrote:roseberry top(could be misspelled)
I remember from somewhere that most berry place names are from the anglo-saxon bury, meaning fort. Not sure if the rose is also from something different to what it sounds like.
Robb 1 wrote:Though beneith fyling dales there is allegedly the mysterious black meadow where no amount of wierdness occurs such as mist men vanishing schollars and a villlage that appears usually after the mist man is seen and if course theres the dreaded bargheists that prowl the area. There has to be some reason that area has so many stone crosses :evil: :twisted:
Pretty much part two of Inn of Last Hope written already!

bottg
Site Admin

Post by bottg » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:57 am

Robb 1 wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:30 pm
where roseberry top(could be misspelled) now stands near Guisborough.)
It is actually called Roseberry Topping...a name that evokes much mirth from all 4 children whenever we drive past!

SkinnyOrc
Knight

Post by SkinnyOrc » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:10 am

bottg wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:57 am
It is actually called Roseberry Topping...a name that evokes much mirth from all 4 children whenever we drive past!
Does sound like it'd be nice on ice cream.

Robb 1
Knight

Post by Robb 1 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:39 pm

SkinnyOrc wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:10 am
bottg wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:57 am
Does sound like it'd be nice on ice cream.
Might be a bit earthy in texture and taste :lol:

some more place names for you collection from my neck of the woods

carl wark ancient hill fort

higger tor next to carl wark

shining tor a hill near Buxton

Ringing low another hill and hamlet complete with pub and round house from the toll road days

winkobank ancient hill fort in sheffield

Totley (previously tottinglee as noted in the domesday book)

Blackamoor

Peveril castle

and Finally Shatton a village in the Hope valley

SkinnyOrc
Knight

Post by SkinnyOrc » Tue May 01, 2018 2:24 am

More great names! Obviously the village of Shatton is the winner.

I solved the mystery of Roseberry Topping at least. Wikipedia claims it's from the Viking name Odin's Bjarg, meaning the god Odin's mountain. Over the centuries it became Othensberg, Ohenseberg, Ounsberry, Ouesberry and finally Roseberry. So berry here is from berg for mountain, as in iceberg, not burg for fortress, but those words are related anyway. Topping is a local variation on Topp meaning peak. So people by then had long forgotten the original meaning and started calling it Odin's Mountain Mountain ;)

bottg
Site Admin

Post by bottg » Tue May 01, 2018 7:33 am

SkinnyOrc wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 2:24 am
More great names! Obviously the village of Shatton is the winner.

I solved the mystery of Roseberry Topping at least. Wikipedia claims it's from the Viking name Odin's Bjarg, meaning the god Odin's mountain. Over the centuries it became Othensberg, Ohenseberg, Ounsberry, Ouesberry and finally Roseberry. So berry here is from berg for mountain, as in iceberg, not burg for fortress, but those words are related anyway. Topping is a local variation on Topp meaning peak. So people by then had long forgotten the original meaning and started calling it Odin's Mountain Mountain ;)
I live in a village on the slopes of Penhill... The "Pen" part means "Hill" in the local celtic, so the earlier inhabitants just called it hill. The later danes and saxons decided that wa its name so called it penhill. Meaning of course hill hill.

shintokamikaze
Hero

Post by shintokamikaze » Tue May 01, 2018 10:37 am

Newgrange, Cloontyprocklis, moll's gap, ballydehob, stoneybatter, swords, slane, horseleap, Vinegar Hill, sallynoggin, Dún Laoghaire. All place names in the ROI. I use a lot of Galic names, they have a nice other world sound to them.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Place_names_in_Ireland
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_I ... iven_names

Robb 1
Knight

Post by Robb 1 » Tue May 01, 2018 10:37 pm

Further place names and sights of interest in my area
Hathersage home of Little Johns Grave of Robin Hood Fame as well as Loxley As in Robin of Loxley (Robin hood was a Sheffielder :lol:

Mam Tor the shivering mountain also an ancient hill fort

winn hill And Lose hill As A kid i always imagined 2 local tribes at constant war or cattle raids with each other one always getting the better of the other

The Roaches and the green chapel near Leek allegedly where Sir Gawain met the Green knight

In Castleton we have the 4 caverns

Blue John

Treak cliff

speedwell with its legendary bottomless pit only reachable by boat.

And peak cavern also known as the devils arse which also has the river styx running from it :twisted: and also in castleton a farm house with a screaming skull as well as the castle it self(Pevril)

arber low the biggest stone circle in the north of england second only to stone henge

And in shropshire possibly my favourite place name of all time Quatt ( not quite ad funny as Shatton I'll admit :lol: