AFF Place Name Generator

SkinnyOrc
Knight

AFF Place Name Generator

Post by SkinnyOrc » Thu May 03, 2018 1:26 pm

Inspired by the Inn of Last Hope thread I've knocked up the AFF Place Name Generator!

The names come from the excellent UK Open Gazetteer at http://ukgaz.ben-daglish.net/cgi-bin/ukgaz.cgi. I've cleaned out a lot of unsuitable ones but if you find any more let me know. Also I can add places from other countries if you can give me a list as a file.

[Edit: link updated]
Last edited by SkinnyOrc on Tue May 22, 2018 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Robb 1
Knight

Re: AFF Place Name Generator

Post by Robb 1 » Thu May 03, 2018 10:25 pm

very impressed :D

Ruffnut
Hero

Post by Ruffnut » Fri May 04, 2018 7:26 am

This is great!
He just sits there tapping away all day on a tiny screen. But he tells everyone that he is slaying Orcs.

HedgeWizard
Adventurer

Post by HedgeWizard » Sun May 06, 2018 5:19 pm

I like it!

SkinnyOrc
Knight

Post by SkinnyOrc » Tue May 22, 2018 12:41 pm

I've prettied this up as well as my other random generators.

Also my character name generator now has Old English and Gaelic names. This one was originally done several years back for WFRP so English names weren't needed, but they're probably the best option for Allansian characters. The Gaelic names I think are great for elves if you take out the O' and Mac surname prefixs (meaning descendent of and son of). Likewise the Norse names work pretty well for dwarves. Apologies in advance for the mangling of people's cultural heritage with my not quite accurate names.

Updated links:
Place Name Generator
Character Name Generator
Characteristics Generator
Pub Name Generator

HedgeWizard
Adventurer

Post by HedgeWizard » Tue May 22, 2018 1:10 pm

You seem to have an error on your character name generator. No matter what I pick it gives me an English mate name. I'm using an iPhone, don't know if that is affecting it

SkinnyOrc
Knight

Post by SkinnyOrc » Tue May 22, 2018 1:25 pm

Ah yeah I think this came up before. They all work fine on Firefox which is what I use. They used to work fine on everything else several years back but a lot's changed with browsers since then. Places and Pubs aren't affected as they don't give any choices, just spit out the names. The other two may be locked to the default choices depending what browser you try. I'll check other browser compatibility when I get a chance, probably have to tweak these a bit.

SkinnyOrc
Knight

Post by SkinnyOrc » Wed May 23, 2018 1:35 pm

Okay these look fixed now. The first time you run each it'll probably still be the old one from your browser cache, but clicking the button on the generator a couple of times should reload it.

HedgeWizard
Adventurer

Post by HedgeWizard » Wed May 23, 2018 2:04 pm

It is, thanks!