Combat Options

SkinnyOrc
Knight

Combat Options

Post by SkinnyOrc » Sun May 13, 2018 1:42 pm

The ideas behind this one have been brewing for a good long time, starting years back with Stuart's "When do heroes become too powerful?" thread. Short version is that while the AFF2 combat system works great in itself, Player Character progression doesn't seem to be tuned for the monsters in the Pit books. There's of course any number of ways you can make that adjustment. This one is based on keeping it as simple and as true to the original rules as possible.

On top of that I've done a critical hit table, completely separate to the PC/creature balance fix but they go nicely together. There have been some great critical hit tables done before so this is nothing new. What I've tried to do is balance it so overall the crit results aren't more dangerous than in the rulebook while still giving an interesting range of results.

AFF2 Combat download link

[Edit: Link updated to v1.1]
Last edited by SkinnyOrc on Thu May 17, 2018 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nuvole!
Hero

Re: Combat Options

Post by Nuvole! » Mon May 14, 2018 2:07 am

Thank you!
He's a real Nowhere man, sitting in his Nowhere land, making all his Nowhere plans for Nobody.

Ruffnut
Hero

Post by Ruffnut » Mon May 14, 2018 1:19 pm

Already Using The New Sheet And Rules!!
He just sits there tapping away all day on a tiny screen. But he tells everyone that he is slaying Orcs.

SkinnyOrc
Knight

Post by SkinnyOrc » Mon May 14, 2018 11:40 pm

Oh that reminds me. The new sheet was mainly to let you have the AS bonus and crit range handy for each weapon but I also made a few more changes like adding a slot for a 4th weapon type. The main one was swapping the big Cantrips box for more spell slots. With cantrips all having the same cost you can always write them in to the spell slots more than one to a box. Let me know what else you'd like changed to make your ideal character sheet.

Slloyd14
Site Admin

Post by Slloyd14 » Wed May 16, 2018 6:39 am

Many thanks! This is an awesome collection of helpful rules to make combat even more interesting!
http://virtualfantasies.blogspot.com/

A blog about writing gamebooks. My musings on how to write a gamebook and what makes a good gamebook.

HedgeWizard
Adventurer

Post by HedgeWizard » Wed May 16, 2018 8:12 am

Good God this is a thing of beauty, thank you for putting it together. You managed to address one of the few issues with AFF, the deterministic nature of combat between opponents with more than a moderate skill difference, in a simple and elegant way.

I will be using this!

Robb 1
Knight

Post by Robb 1 » Wed May 16, 2018 12:24 pm

excelent work as ever :D

SkinnyOrc
Knight

Post by SkinnyOrc » Thu May 17, 2018 12:59 pm

Thanks everyone. I've updated the link to v1.1, I'd missed fitting Potions of Skill into the crit system and tweaked the crit effects a bit.

I was really happy with the way the AFF Rulebook look worked out and I'm thinking of redoing my other stuff the same way. Except the cover the pics are all by Wendelin Boeheim and from Wikimedia Commons. I just did a bit of weapon rearranging and clean up on them.

HedgeWizard
Adventurer

Post by HedgeWizard » Fri May 18, 2018 1:41 pm

I'm having issues accessing the link, does anyone else have the same problem?

Wanted to download the latest version.

Robb 1
Knight

Post by Robb 1 » Fri May 18, 2018 11:27 pm

yes same problem here too

SkinnyOrc
Knight

Post by SkinnyOrc » Fri May 18, 2018 11:37 pm

Yep my entire website is down, I'll let you know when it's back. It's free with my net connection so I don't expect too much of it.
Last edited by SkinnyOrc on Tue May 22, 2018 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LazyQuester

Post by LazyQuester » Mon May 21, 2018 10:12 pm

I really like these and will most definitely use them. Thank you!

The way I made the game more challenging was to allow the character to make a number of “contested rolls” (standard rules) equal to their number of attacks while any other incoming attacks needed to beat a target number of 15 plus modifiers. The player of course got to decide which one of the incoming attacks they wished to contest.

So if they were attacked by a bunch of whatever’s who had SKILL of 8, 7, and 6: the player (1 Attack) would contest against the 8, usually, while the 7 and 6 would need to meet or beat a 15 to hit. Don’t forget the outnumbering modifier.

I also don’t allow food to “heal” but still require it to not starve.

SkinnyOrc
Knight

Post by SkinnyOrc » Tue May 22, 2018 12:50 pm

And it's back. Only took 3 days...