psi skills

Robb 1
Knight

psi skills

Post by Robb 1 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:52 pm

Has any one used the stellar adventures psionics intheir Fantasy sessions thought it mike make an interesting additional character type.

I was wondering if somthing similar to the D & D 3.5 soul knife character class might work or a school of asthetic psions dwelling in solitude inthe high mountains.

I know theoretically sorcerers spells are a form of psionics but might be fun to try

Will have a play with the soulknife skills and post them my biggest problem from initial reading is the SA psycic weapon drains psi ponts where as d&d soulknives only need 1 power point which never gets used up when they hit so would you allow a single point to be taken any thoughts?

Ruffnut
Hero

Re: psi skills

Post by Ruffnut » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:42 am

Sounds good!
He just sits there tapping away all day on a tiny screen. But he tells everyone that he is slaying Orcs.

HedgeWizard
Adventurer

Post by HedgeWizard » Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:52 pm

I actually exprimented with using them some time ago and remembered it worked. I like the shorter lists of spells being easy to learn and took it like different schools of magic.

But it was some time ago so I can’t remember the details of any modifications which I made to the rules. Will read over them again to refresh my memory

HedgeWizard
Adventurer

Post by HedgeWizard » Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:11 pm

I just found my old session notes.

Key difference with SA psi ability over AFF magic is that psi powers are taken as individual skills rather than having one skill with lots of spells. Also there is no minor magic.

So it means that you get some powers which are a bit different but you certainly don’t get the range or power of a traditional spell caster in a fantasy setting. So I take it with the SA abilities as they are and also allow minor magic alongside.

I like the psi weapon using the psi point when striking because it is the psi power of the caster which is causing the damage rather than the weapon itself. The weapon is just a fancy way of showing where the damage is happening.

Robb 1
Knight

Post by Robb 1 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:35 pm

Cheers for that makes sense :D. Not got round to trying it yet. as currently my players are scattered around and unable to play and none of us seem to have much time at the moment :( such is life.

HedgeWizard
Adventurer

Post by HedgeWizard » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:30 am

Hope you find a solution to get everyone together, virtually or round the same table.

I’d be interested to know how it it goes.